Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla would have better numbers for production projections because it would eliminate cancellations as well as the cost of cancellations (Tesla has to eat the credit card fee on returned deposits - about $150 per order).
Not sure about that - provided the customers card is refunded, the "commission" is also refunded. At least that's the way it is with our credit card refunds.

The main number that surprises me is the UK reservation total. Any thoughts on why the number is so low? Would think the number would be much higher, especially with all the incentives for EVs that are being implemented not to mention the demand that has been shown. London slow to become the 'electric car capital of Europe' | Environment | guardian.co.uk
Very good q.

I think Model S will not sell well in the UK.

It should as diesel is so expensive.

But ... the car is so big compared to the norm. Parking it will be a nightmare. Motorways are wonderful to drive - so long as you know where the cameras are, you can really open it up.

The price will be high. Usually the same in pounds as it is in dollars. :(

I work with Brits all day long and I'd suggest they are chintsy.

That TV show, T-op Gear, did UK / Tesla no favours.

The main number that surprises me is the UK reservation total. Any thoughts on why the number is so low? Would think the number would be much higher, especially with all the incentives for EVs that are being implemented not to mention the demand that has been shown. London slow to become the 'electric car capital of Europe' | Environment | guardian.co.uk

As sp4rk says, the car is certainly going to be worryingly large for a lot of people in the UK. Having said that, plenty of people drive Range Rovers, German S-class/A8/7-series of which are the same size or larger... so there are people that deal with the size.

I think a main reason putting off people for now in the UK is the fact that there is no price information at all - and the fact that it will probably be very high when it eventually comes is also off putting I am sure.

Top Gear certainly didn't help, but that was a while ago now, I think most people won't remember that too well. However there is simply a very ingrained sense of "turn the indicators on and you will run out of battery" which definitely doesn't help, and that does come from a certain Mr. Clarkson.

Whenever I manage to steer a conversation around to electric cars (and primarily Model S) - which I probably do a bit too often - people are shocked that they have not heard of this car that is as fast and spacious as it is, and goes hundreds of miles not tens of miles. I have also been using the Supercharger to impress upon them the viability of long range travel, so I do hope that Tesla sort something for the Euro market in that respect.

anyway, diverging a bit here. Ultimately I think the UK as a whole is very skeptical of EVs unfortunately, that along with the lack of pricing information and size puts people off when they actually get over their EV distaste long enough to look the car up.

e2a: when UK pricing does come out I would expect/hope that there will be a slight uptick in reservations. I would imagine there are quite a few people who are holding off reserving due to the fact that they'd be reserving with no clue about how much they are going to end up paying.

Agree 100%.
I am surprised that pricing has not come out yet.
I met with the Tesla folks in Maidenhead (by surprise) early last year and they were very engaging!
They knew everything there was to know except delivery estimates and pricing.
There are lots of super wealthy (not that you need to be) petrol heads living there. With their Aston's etc. And while the UK is choked with the smell of napalm (aka Diesel) in the morning breeze when I go for my walks when there (especially near Heathrow), for some reason I simply cannot see Brits embracing it. Not as early adopters. My staff there are sort of "old fashioned" and very difficult to grasp new living concepts? Very stuck in their ways.
I do think once the car has properly "landed" things will change.
In the meantime I wish Mr Clarkson ... oh, never mind. :)

P.S. Wonder how that "Basingstoke" meeting went the other evening? Never saw a write up here. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall!

Hopefully not going too far off topic, but I guess once they have finalised the cost for producing a right hand drive model, they will release the pricing. I'm guessing other RHD markets also have no pricing..!?

I agree also that once there are cars around, things may improve. I remember there have been a few articles in things such as The Sunday Times' driving section that are quite complementary of the Model S, but obviously only as some far off possibility, they haven't been testing them, at least certainly not in the UK or for more than a few moments.

Trying to turn this back on topic, I look forward to the pricing info for RHD markets and the subsequent increase in reservations :)

More European reservations:
ZeeMaps <[email protected]>
4:27 AM (17 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Please approve or reject the following entry for your map: Tesla Model S & X Reservations

at: http://www.zeemaps.com/295135/P2886

Here's a brief summary of the entry:

Name: P2886

cleardot.gif

... However, even factoring that in I think Tesla can shift in the next couple of weeks to taking direct finalized orders rather than reservations. The last finalize figure we have was #18,062 finalized 1/30...

Just an FYI - I know a number of folks received finalize requests Monday 2/4 with later reservation numbers: #18,606 reported here (Latest date - Page 220). I was #18,577 - reserved on 1/23, so had a 12-day reservation period.

@Pmacafee / @brianman: P8460.

So excited. I know I have been on this forum and read quite a bit of let downs with the delivery team. However, I have to say - my process was above expectation! So for a change of some good feedback for Tesla's Reservation, Inside Delivery, and Delivery teams!

I have been following Tesla since 2006 and have been anxiously waiting for mine. Here is my timeline:

2012.04.22 - Reservation made (coincidentally it was Earth day)
2012.07.14 - First test drive at Amped Tour just made the wait much harder
2012.11.13 - Finalized the configuration
2013.01.18 - Delivery timeframe received for Feb 21 - Mar 7
2013.02.04 - VIN issued
2013.02.05 - Purchase Agreement received
2013.02.06 - Confirmation of delivery for Feb 15th @ 12:00 PM!

P8460 VIN# 4802:
- Black Paint
- All Glass Panoramic Roof
- 19" Wheels
- Black Leather Interior
- Obeche Wood Gloss Décor
- 60 kWh Battery
- Tech Package
- Sound Studio Package
- Active Air Suspension
- Rear Facing Seats
- Paint Armor
- Supercharging

Next Friday can't come soon enough!

Omg! I just got my delivery button!
This is all happening so fast! Idk if I'll be able to get the money so quickly.

1/11/13- Visited Tesla Showroom for the first time ever!
1/12/13- Test drove the Model S performance with my parents
1/14/13- Put down $5,000 deposit and reserved my car: Res. # 18,278
2/04/13- Got my 'Finalize' button, built my car: Awesome, I also received my finalize button today.
Got the finalize button at 8:34PM, Reservation #18,278. Finalized my car at 9:42
Tesla Model S Performance, Pearl White, All Glass Panoramic, Carbon Fiber Spoiler, 19" Wheels, Tan Interior, Carbon Fiber Decor, Tech Package, Sound Package, Paint Armor, Twin Chargers + High Power Wall Connector.
Initial delivery window: March/April
2/10/13- Recieved my Delivery button... Delivery Estimate March 13th-March 27th

Will keep everyone updated with more posts/pictures etc.

Last edited:
Holy crap! Two months from deposit to (estimated) delivery! That's bonkers.

Omg! I just got my delivery button!
This is all happening so fast! Idk if I'll be able to get the money so quickly.

1/11/13- Visited Tesla Showroom for the first time ever!
1/12/13- Test drove the Model S performance with my parents
1/14/13- Put down $5,000 deposit and reserved my car: Res. # 18,278
2/04/13- Got my 'Finalize' button, built my car: Awesome, I also received my finalize button today.
Got the finalize button at 8:34PM, Reservation #18,278. Finalized my car at 9:42
Tesla Model S Performance, Pearl White, All Glass Panoramic, Carbon Fiber Spoiler, 19" Wheels, Tan Interior, Carbon Fiber Decor, Tech Package, Sound Package, Paint Armor, Twin Chargers + High Power Wall Connector.
Initial delivery window: March/April
2/10/13- Recieved my Delivery button... Delivery Estimate March 13th-March 27th

Will keep everyone updated with more posts/pictures etc.