Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S REST API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed latest version and I can confirm everything seems to display in the proper units (km, celcius).

Great work!

Version 0.11 of VisibleTesla is posted here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7045813/Dev0.11.zip

It contains:

• Minor changes to the login tab (cosmetic changes and field traversal fix)
  • Experimental support for metric units
    • It now checks the car's GUI settings and follows the settings for F|C temp & miles|km
    • This is reflected in the Charge tab and the HVAC tab
    • There is a new item in the Simulate menu that allows you to override your car's unit setting and choose Metric or Imperial. If you do this, you will need to change tabs before the simulated setting takes effect
  • Minor internal tweaks that aren't visible in the GUI

Note:
  • Whenever you send a command via the GUI (e.g., vent the roof or turn on HVAC), the app immediately checks the state to see whether the command succeeded. On occasion I've noticed that the result of the command is not reflected immediately. It will show up when the next auto-refresh happens or if you manually refresh.

I haven't actually changed the units setting in my car - I've only tested through simulation. If you use metric settings, please let me know if it works.

Version 0.11 of VisibleTesla is posted

Joe, thanks for a fantastic applet and for implementing the cookies. It has earned a coveted position in my Dock:

Screen Shot 2013-08-04 at 2.36.37 PM.jpg

Can you share that great icon?
You want to make a transparent PNG but this forum doesn't let me post PNG files. Here is a recipe using only built-in MacOS tools. Download the file keyfob.jpg from Model S Features | Tesla Motors. Open in Preview and export it to PNG. Open the PNG and choose instant alpha from the edit toolbar. Click and drag on white area to choose the color range of white to convert to transparent. You can leave some shadow like I did or remove completely. Crop file (optionally save it), select all, paste into icon info of VisibleTesla.jar

Last edited:
You want to make a transparent PNG but this forum doesn't let me post PNG files. Here is a recipe using only built-in MacOS tools. Download the file keyfob.jpg from Model S Features | Tesla Motors. Open in Preview and export it to PNG. Open the PNG and choose instant alpha from the edit toolbar. Click and drag on white area to choose the color range of white to convert to transparent. You can leave some shadow like I did or remove completely. Crop file (optionally save it), select all, paste into icon info of VisibleTesla.jar

I post PNG files often @ TMC.

You are correct; I have no idea what I was talking about. I thought it always rejected me before but now works perfectly (edit: ah maybe it is the profile pages that don't allow PNG). Attached is the icon I made in transparent PNG format. Source image file from Tesla as described above.

Tesla keyfob alpha.png

VisibleTesla v0.12

VisibleTesla v0.12 is posted here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7045813/VisibleTesla/VisibleTesla 0.12.zip

Changes:
  • Added visual support for 19" wheels
    • It will correctly display 19" wheels for cars that have them
    • Added 19" wheels to the Simulate menu
  • Added an About dialog which is accessed from the help menu
    • Acknowledged the work of the "API Detectives" from tmc that figured out the REST API
    • Acknowledged that the images are derived form the Tesla iPhone app
    • Noted that the app is free for non-commercial use
  • Included the "fob" icon

Note that this zip file contains only the release directory containing the app itself (VisibleTesla.jar), a lib folder, and the fob icon. I will release the sources, project files, images, etc. separately so they don't clutter things up for those who are just interested in running the app.

VisibleTesla v0.12 is posted here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7045813/VisibleTesla/VisibleTesla 0.12.zip
Note that this zip file contains only the release directory containing the app itself (VisibleTesla.jar), a lib folder, and the fob icon. I will release the sources, project files, images, etc. separately so they don't clutter things up for those who are just interested in running the app.
It would be great if you could create a github project with the sources in a repository. That would make it much easier for others to contribute.

Changes:
  • Added visual support for 19" wheels
    • It will correctly display 19" wheels for cars that have them
    • Added 19" wheels to the Simulate menu
  • Added an About dialog which is accessed from the help menu
    • Acknowledged the work of the "API Detectives" from tmc that figured out the REST API
    • Acknowledged that the images are derived form the Tesla iPhone app
    • Noted that the app is free for non-commercial use
  • Included the "fob" icon

Nice progress! It would be great to add display of the odometer reading in the overview. This is available in the REST api, so it should be fairly straightforward to add.

Thanks!

@dirkhh: Putting it in github is a great idea, but unfortunately I'm not a git/github user and I haven't had the time to learn how to use it. The last source code control system I used in earnest was cvs. I'm open to suggestions of how to get started quickly but can't make any promises on when I'll have time to get up to speed.

@Vger: I haven't shown the odometer state because as far as I can tell, it's only available through the streaming api. Is it someplace else too? I've been avoiding using that since it's somewhat heavyweight in my implementation (fires off another thread to handle background streaming). I'll look into this.

I'm also looking at displaying the street address of the car on the Location tab. I'm not much of a Javascript programmer so it's taken me a while to figure out a way to do what I want. Getting the arrow image pointed in the actual direction of the car required that I use a RichMarker library (can't rotate the images of normal google map markers), but RichMarkers don't support info windows. Argh. I placed a normal google marker right on top of the rich marker and set the icon to a transparent image. That gives me the RichMarker which I can rotate to the heading of the vehicle and a normal marker which supports an info window to contain the address.

This reinforces dirkhh's point: I need to get this into a shared source control system so someone who knows what their doing can make this much better. I'll post the new version tonight if I last.