Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S REST API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VisibleTesla v0.13

VisibleTesla v0.13 is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7045813/VisibleTesla/VisibleTesla 0.13.zip

Changes:
  • In the location tab if you click on the arrow that represents the car, a google maps info window will open with the address nearest to the given (lat,long) as determined by google's geocoding service.
  • A first cut at displaying the odometer reading on the Overview tab. It does respect the GUI units setting. This is not the final implementation but I wanted to get something out there. It has several limitations:
    • It usually requires a refresh before the odometer reading is displayed. In the future it will simply show up when a separate background task completes.
    • Once displayed, it does not update if the vehicle is in motion.

@dirkhh: Putting it in github is a great idea, but unfortunately I'm not a git/github user and I haven't had the time to learn how to use it. The last source code control system I used in earnest was cvs. I'm open to suggestions of how to get started quickly but can't make any promises on when I'll have time to get up to speed.

This reinforces dirkhh's point: I need to get this into a shared source control system so someone who knows what their doing can make this much better. I'll post the new version tonight if I last.
I can help you set up github quite easily. It's only a handful of commands you need.
This is easiest over actual email. Can you contact me ( Dirk at Hohndel dit org)

Thank you so much jpasqua, for creating and sharing your efforts. Very very nice.

We have so many talented and nice people on this forum.

VisibleTesla v0.13 is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7045813/VisibleTesla/VisibleTesla 0.13.zip

Changes:
  • In the location tab if you click on the arrow that represents the car, a google maps info window will open with the address nearest to the given (lat,long) as determined by google's geocoding service.
  • A first cut at displaying the odometer reading on the Overview tab. It does respect the GUI units setting. This is not the final implementation but I wanted to get something out there. It has several limitations:
    • It usually requires a refresh before the odometer reading is displayed. In the future it will simply show up when a separate background task completes.

Changes:

Thanks for biting the bullet on the the Odometer display! :biggrin:

I will hold off on any more feature requests until you get some sleep!

My feature request would be (an option) to pull the username and password from the Apple Keychain (when running on Mac OS).

Yeah, I wanted that too but I couldn't find any way to access this type of information from the Keychain without writing a bunch of native code. If you know of a way, or an existing library I could use, please let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

It would also be great if VisibleTesla could implement the set_charge_limit function discovered by Brianman and FlasherZ here: #431

Agreed. It's on the list. I was thinking of three choices: std, max, or explicit which reveals a slider you can set with tick marks where std and max are. I'll have to key this option to SW version to ensure I only display it for vehicles with 4.5 or greater. I was hoping the iPhone app would support this by now so I could take a queue from Tesla's UI.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for this!
I am happy to note it works in Win8 x64.
Bug Report: The 19" wheels are correct on the Overview tab but the HVAC tab shows the 21s ...

is there somewhere else to report issues / requests?

Yeah, the iPhone app imagery doesn't do this properly either. It will take some work to do this well and I expect that someone with better Photoshop skills than I have will have to help out with the passenger side wheels since they are blended into the body image. The driver side wheels should be doable with an image overlay. It's on the list.

Hi,

This app looks awesome and I really want to use it. But first I took a look at the source code to satisfy myself that the user credentials aren't going anywhere except to the Tesla Portal. I see that you are stashing the user ID in a cookies file for use with the streaming API. Is this cookies file encrypted, or is it written out to disk in the clear? I don't know anything about Java (I write low level drivers in C/C++), but is it possible to just keep this info in a memory variable and NOT write it out to a file?

Hi,

This app looks awesome and I really want to use it. But first I took a look at the source code to satisfy myself that the user credentials aren't going anywhere except to the Tesla Portal. I see that you are stashing the user ID in a cookies file for use with the streaming API. Is this cookies file encrypted, or is it written out to disk in the clear? I don't know anything about Java (I write low level drivers in C/C++), but is it possible to just keep this info in a memory variable and NOT write it out to a file?

Hi SUN-day Driver,

• Credentials are not sent anywhere other than the Tesla portal
  • The username (email address) *is* stored in clear text in the cookie file.
  • The portal_session and user_credentials are stored encrypted in the form that they are sent from Tesla. No additional encryption is applied.
  • The cookie file is sensitive in the sense that if someone gets your cookie file, they can log in as you.
  • I could consider a command-line option to not use a cookie file. It would then require that the user log in on each launch.

I think it was Banahogg actually, though I'm not certain.
Model S REST API - Page 43

To give credit where credit is due:

I stumbled upon the set_charge_limit myself the same day that banahogg discovered it, although I noticed that it reset my SOC limit to 50% all the time (i.e., I didn't get the parameter correct). I came here to note my discovery and noted that banahogg had discovered it as well the same day. The real winner here is hans (post immediately below) who suggested "?percent=80", and that worked. I then played around with it to discover the limits - granularity and that charging % can't be set between 91 and 99% (it jumps to 100%). So it was a group effort!

Rather than continue to clutter this thread with posts about VisibleTesla, I've created a new thread here:

VisibleTesla

I'll continue to post here about things that are really related to the REST API, but will announce releases, etc. on the new thread.

Hello!! New Tesla Model S owner here and I've been thrilled to have seen this REST API available to play with. Just adding my own little experiences with it after a few days of playing around.

Battery Level:

battery_level.png

Battery Range:

batter_range.png

Charging Rate:

charging_rate.png

Charging Voltage:

charging_voltage.png

Time To Full Charge:

full_charge.png

Speed (Zoomed in for clarity):

speed.png

And Temperatures:

temps.png

I'm pulling metrics for my car every 60 seconds and storing the data in Cacti (an RRA data store and graphing Web application).

I'll eventually clean it up and make it available to others as soon as time allows. But just wanted to show how awesome it is to see data in action!! Thanks again!!

_dave