Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S saved my life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hiked down there in the rain to check it out. Wow. First one looks down at the car from Grizzly Peak trail. Second looks up at the road. Rest are self explanatory. Also - note that someone must have explored the scene and found my backpack, and placed it on top of the car for me to find It had been stored in the frunk. Thank you. You can also see how we ended up crawling out of the sunroof.
the back trunk took most of the hit and absorbed the energy.

Hiked down there in the rain to check it out. Wow. First one looks down at the car from Grizzly Peak trail. Second looks up at the road. Rest are self explanatory. Also - note that someone must have explored the scene and found my backpack, and placed it on top of the car for me to find It had been stored in the frunk. Thank you. You can also see how we ended up crawling out of the sunroof.

Wow. I stopped to take a look on my way home from work based on the map you posted upthread, and a few guesses as to which way your car went (if I'm right, I saw your tire tracks in the mud off to the side of Grizzly Peak Blvd.). I couldn't see the car from Grizzly Peak Blvd...but then the car could have been just downslope from me and I would have missed it, there's so much vegetation.

Once again I'm glad you're OK, and I'm now pretty amazed too.

Bruce.

Wow! I quite often ride my bicycle on weekend in Berkeley
from the Inspiration Point to the Redwood Valley Railway "Tutu train."
This is a beautiful area, and luckily there are not too many cars early in the morning.

Few time however I almost back-ended some deer or raccoons.
My bike has those narrow triathlon handlebars so it is quite difficult to steer
and I had experienced sometime tricky situations. If I had made such a plunge
I don't think that my type of plastic eggshell helmet would had really be of too much use!

Wow thankfully you guys were conscious and able to climb out and back to the road. And at night too. You are so lucky! By the looks of the terrain people driving or bicycling by might not have even noticed you. And it's certainly not uncommon in these parts to hear of people who drove off the mountain roads and weren't found until much later after their accident and too late.

Curious if you got any pictures of the inside of the car. Hubby and I were talking about it last night and jokingly wondered what kind of error messages the car threw.

Sure isn't going to be fun trying to winch all how many thousands of pounds of it up the slope.

Wow thankfully you guys were conscious and able to climb out and back to the road. And at night too. You are so lucky! By the looks of the terrain people driving or bicycling by might not have even noticed you. And it's certainly not uncommon in these parts to hear of people who drove off the mountain roads and weren't found until much later after their accident and too late.

Curious if you got any pictures of the inside of the car. Hubby and I were talking about it last night and jokingly wondered what kind of error messages the car threw.

Sure isn't going to be fun trying to winch all how many thousands of pounds of it up the slope.

I could not get in the car today, the batteries were dead so the handles didn't present. :) At the time, we got out as quickly as possible, and all I could see on the screen after exiting was a big red symbol on the screen, and a repeating "beeping" warning sound coming from inside. Once I get to the salvage yard I will get some interior shots.

Reactions: SMAlset
Thursday evening my friend and I were driving home from Berkeley, CA to the Oakland hills on grizzly peak blvd. Driving perhaps a tad too spirited, a deer appeared at a curve at the worst possible moment. I instinctively (mistakenly) swerved to avoid it and my car ended up over the edge. We tumbled perhaps 150-200 feet down a steep slope, ended up upside down. While it was certainly the most terrifying seconds of my life, as we came to a rest I realized we were both totally ok. The cabin of the vehicle was totally in tact. We climbed out with only bruises and muscle soreness.

I don't know how to compare this with other cars but it felt rock solid to me and I feel lucky to be alive because of my tesla. Once I get insurance worked out I'm sure I'll be in another one. Maybe I'll be driving those mountain roads at night a bit more cautiously :-/

So happy that you are okay! My Model S saved my life and my wife's as well. My car was crushed by a redlight runner and an SUV: We survived a HORRIBLE accident thanks to our Tesla I ordered a new Model S right away without any hesitation (this is how I ended up with a P100DL :))

EDIT: Just saw the photos of your accident. THAT IS INSANE!!!

Wow...that's as bad as you described. My apologies for casting any doubt on what you wrote in the original post. Glad you made it out safe. For anyone who doesn't know the area, that is about as steep a slope as you're going to find, outside of some extreme environment.

Hard to judge from the photos, looking at where the ground meets the rear of your vehicle there doesn't appear to be much of a gap created around the broken pano. That must have been a tight crawl! Can now include rogue deer to the list of reasons for keeping a window breaker/seat belt cutting tool in the glove box.

Reactions: Az_Rael
It looks like they're trying to recover the car as of about 20 minutes ago (stop making weird faces at me, that road is how I get home from work). Two flatbed tow trucks, one with a towline going down the slope, plus a couple of pickups.

Bruce.
Dropped by at 5:30pm, they had just finished up. Looks like they did a good job. Tow driver said it took them 4 hours and 550 feet of cable! As in, it was 550 feet down there. Holy s.....

Looks like my only losses will be a year of depreciation and a Reus audio system. Life, and more importantly, my friends life and well being, are still in tact. Let's close this chapter and start a new one. 100D?

Attachments

• IMG_0159.PNG
    IMG_0159.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0160.PNG
    IMG_0160.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0161.PNG
    IMG_0161.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 249
wow. And thanks for living to teach a lesson / reminder about not avoiding animals in the road. But to rather brake!
Being an animal person, I'd probably swerve. NOT NOW! Thank you.

I'm shocked how well the cabin and doors held up. It appears you were going end -over- end? Crunching the nose and tail. I assume Tesla would have the data to re-create the direction and physics. In fact, I would think they would want such data.

Would you be courageous and curious enough to combine such data and your memory? I know this is tragic to you, but walking away from this unharmed, would stir my curiosity about how.

and.
wow.

wow. And thanks for living to teach a lesson / reminder about not avoiding animals in the road. But to rather brake!
Being an animal person, I'd probably swerve. NOT NOW! Thank you.

I'm shocked how well the cabin and doors held up. It appears you were going end -over- end? Crunching the nose and tail. I assume Tesla would have the data to re-create the direction and physics. In fact, I would think they would want such data.

Would you be courageous and curious enough to combine such data and your memory? I know this is tragic to you, but walking away from this unharmed, would stir my curiosity about how.

and.
wow.
If tesla wants to know more, sure. I've emailed their press dept and service center. Haven't heard back with anything relevant to a more in depth investigation. As far as my memory, it's basically, impossible to recreate the physics of what happened. I was locked into my seat. The left side of my face and ear and arms were bruised. And before I knew it I was upside down crawling out of the sunroof. Only downside of the experience was that the door handles didn't work from the inside, but still worked from the outside

Dropped by at 5:30pm, they had just finished up. Looks like they did a good job. Tow driver said it took them 4 hours and 550 feet of cable! As in, it was 550 feet down there. Holy s.....

Looks like my only losses will be a year of depreciation and a Reus audio system. Life, and more importantly, my friends life and well being, are still in tact. Let's close this chapter and start a new one. 100D?

That is nuts. Good thing no one was sitting in the RFS (if your S was equipped with them, that is). :eek:

FYI, I'm not a lawyer or anything, but it may be in your best interests to scrub all references of driving "spirited" or faster than you should have. You never know with insurance companies...