Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Service Contracts - the poll edition(tm)!

Your opinion of the Tesla service plan announced in the blog post of 9/10/2012?

• Tesla really screwed the pooch on this one -- it costs too much and I'm canceling my reservation!

Votes: 34 12.3%
  • The price is high, it isn't a new model of service. I'll reluctantly pay because I feel I have to.

Votes: 131 47.3%
  • All things considered, it feels roughly in line with what I expected, and I'll pay for it.

Votes: 86 31.0%
  • Tesla's service plans are a great deal and I'll happily pay it!

Votes: 26 9.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My ICE-car has done 125.000 miles so far and had 6 scheduled services in 5 years time. They each cost about $300-500 (including wipers, 1 x brake pads, etc.), for a total of roughly $2400.

If I have to stick to a 12,500 miles service schedule with the Model S the same distance will cost me 10 x $600 = $6000. Can anyone at Tesla explain to me why it costs more than twice as much to service a 'low maintenance' electric car as it costs to service a 'high maintenance' car with ICE?

Last edited:
So, does anyone know what's included in "24-hour Roadside assistance?" Is it enough of a service to cancel AAA? Though if you have other ICE cards, you may still need AAA. Or is it simply a person on the other end of phone to coordinate efforts, but I end up paying for towing charges?

If I get a flat, since there's no spare will they tow for free?
How far will they tow for free?
If I accidentally run out of juice on the side of the road, will they bring a charger or tow it for free?
If I get into an accident, can I call and get a tow truck, again for free?

I'm really disappointed in learning about this....

I have been on the fence about buying a Model S, and now I don't think it is going to be a possibility....

I was hoping that the fact that the EV nature of the vehicle would offset the maintenance costs.....but now it appears I will be spending 6x as much to maintain the Model S as I do my Toyota!!!!

Even if I prepaid the $1900/y, it still feels like this is all nickel and diming....

Very disappointing.....

It would seem now that the only advantages the Model S has for me now over any ICE that I would use for my purposes would be the "no gas" thing....

cost...higher
insurance...higher
maintenance...higher
fuel...cheaper

Maybe they'll change their minds........:cursing:

- - - Updated - - -

6.) Does the service plan include the 3G data plan (presumably needed for remote diagnostic)?

And don't forget.......we don't have any information on how much monthly/yearly 3G connectivity will cost!!!!

Mo' money!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to see it if everyone deferred for 30 days in protest!!!!!!

We will likely be cancelling our 2 yr reservation. I guess if it costs that much to maintain a battery with wheels then the technology isn't nearly reliable enough yet.

I was under the impression that this vehicle would be significantly less to maintain than ICE vehicles. That simply is not the case it would appear.

The more I read, the more I understand that Tesla intends on just milking customers... for 3G access, for maintenance, etc.

If they're that laisez fair with maintenance, how much will they charge for super charging? Battery upgrades? As a monopoly they've got us over a barrel unfortunately. I had hoped they intended on building their business around making cars. Instead they seem intent on both huge up-front costs and then also nickle/diming customers once in the cars. No thank you.

Originally Posted by rcc
As a software engineer, I think the $600/year for new software features and remote monitoring is pretty reasonable.
DISAGREE!

Analogy: Windows server software. We pay about $750 for this rubbish. It lasts years. YEARS.

Home Windows ... is nowhere near $600 a year. $300 for the best?

No annual service contracts?

From what I understand the smart phone app that tracks your car, turns on the AC remotely....doesn't even come with the car yet. Those features will come at some unspecified date. So we are paying for software upgrades that should have been included with the car in the first place.

I excluded the lines from TCO that did not apply to maintenance. These are depreciation, interest on financing, taxes and fees, insurance premiums, fuel. They're not in my totals.
Sure, but the Edmunds TCO numbers also include tires & brakes which the Tesla service fee does not cover. The Edmunds TCO numbers are not equivalent to the base Tesla service fee.
About True Cost to Own

I'm really disappointed in learning about this....

I have been on the fence about buying a Model S, and now I don't think it is going to be a possibility....

I was hoping that the fact that the EV nature of the vehicle would offset the maintenance costs.....but now it appears I will be spending 6x as much to maintain the Model S as I do my Toyota!!!!

Even if I prepaid the $1900/y, it still feels like this is all nickel and diming....

Very disappointing.....

It would seem now that the only advantages the Model S has for me now over any ICE that I would use for my purposes would be the "no gas" thing....

cost...higher
insurance...higher
maintenance...higher
fuel...cheaper

Maybe they'll change their minds........:cursing:

- - - Updated - - -

And don't forget.......we don't have any information on how much monthly/yearly 3G connectivity will cost!!!!

Mo' money!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to see it if everyone deferred for 30 days in protest!!!!!!

I prepaid my Toyota Highlander maintenance (first 50k miles) and it cost me $2500. I actually looked at the original paperwork to find the amount. Which means for $100 less, I get Tesla coming to my door, as opposed to the Toyota model of me driving to the dealer wasting 2 to 4 hours of my time.

Better? I think so.

I prepaid my Toyota Highlander maintenance (first 50k miles) and it cost me $2500. I actually looked at the original paperwork to find the amount. Which means for $100 less, I get Tesla coming to my door, as opposed to the Toyota model of me driving to the dealer wasting 2 to 4 hours of my time.

Better? I think so.

from here it looks like you have been ripped off 2500 and now you are happy to be ripped off only 2400. better? you decide.

Right. My current car is at 45,000 miles on 3.5 years. I have not had to buy new tires or replace brakes yet. Not sure how this relates to the BMW, Audi to Porsche comparisons, the Edmunds TCO does not detail Service by line item.

Sure, but the Edmunds TCO numbers also include tires & brakes which the Tesla service fee does not cover. The Edmunds TCO numbers are not equivalent to the base Tesla service fee.
About True Cost to Own

Why are there no comments below the Tesla blog this time?

Tesla deletes negative posts or threads they don't like (for example. at least one of RodandBarbara's description posts of their first experiences was removed, despite these being important to other Tesla customer in terms of knowing what is going on and seeing if Tesla is dealing with/fixing issues that arise), so you probably won't see much there regarding the service (particularly given the types of response being posted here). I don't read their forums much anymore because of this - you can't trust what they are showing to be the true story.

Last edited:
Tesla deletes negative posts or threads they don't like (for example. at least one of RodandBarbara's description posts of their first experiences was removed, despite these being importatn to other TEsla customer in terms of knowing what is going on and seeing if Tesla is dealing with/fixing issues that arise), so you probably won't see much there regarding the service (particularly given the types of response being posted here). I don't read their forums much anymore becuase of this - you can't trust what they are showing to be the true story.

To be expected but lame anyway. Now I'm starting to feel unhappy about my stock investment in this company.

The fact that there's still not a single comment posted is VERY telling. I guess there are not enough roadster owners who swallow every pill.

BMW charges €2530,= or $ 3150 for a comparable 4 year/50k mi service in the Netherlands

http://www.bmw.nl/nl/nl/general/downloads/_narrowband/pdf/BMW_Service_Inclusive_prijslijst_v4_12-07.pdf

Page 7 SI plus/ 4 years/ 80k km's

That's incl. tax, and for the highest performance model (8 cyl.). The lowest performance model (4 cyl.) service charge is €1672 or $ 2150, excl. tax (vs. Tesla's $1,900 price, also excl. tax).

It begs the question though, why is Tesla's service price the same regardless of battery size and configured options? Percentage-wise people with more basic configurations pay more for service.

It begs the question though, why is Tesla's service price the same regardless of battery size and configured options? Percentage-wise people with more basic configurations pay more for service.

Because the service on the 40kWh and 85kWh are going to be the same. The only thing I see that will really make a difference is the suspension options. And it remains to be seen which will be harder to deal with.

An 8 cylinder engine and beefy transmission are harder/more expensive to work on than a 4 banger.

Because the service on the 40kWh and 85kWh are going to be the same. The only thing I see that will really make a difference is the suspension options. And it remains to be seen which will be harder to deal with.

An 8 cylinder engine and beefy transmission are harder/more expensive to work on than a 4 banger.

Yes. It has four spark plugs more....

That's not entirely true. Many car manufacturer's provide some degree of software upgrade (either by an updated NAV DVD and the software contained on it) or by USB (think Ford Sync). I will agree that Tesla seems committed to make more significant feature upgrades, where as most others would be minor tweaks.

On a prior vehicle, when OnStar upgraded to digital cellular from the legacy analog bands, I go a free hardware upgrade so I could keep using the system.

It will be interesting to see how Tesla responds to this. Their actual warranty seems in line with BMW but the cost is what most people seem to have a problem with.

If you build a 528i or 550i you have the option of adding an additional 2 years/50,000 miles, on top of their 4 years/50,000 miles included, service plan for $2,300. It includes all wear parts other than tires. Much like the Tesla's.

And that is the cost for the second 50,000 miles. Not the first.

Last edited: