Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. The way Tesla handles the regen is far superior from my perspective. I like knowing that the regen and mechanical braking are separate. Once I got used to the aggressive regen on the Model S, I surely missed it when driving rental cars on business.

I really wasn't sure how I'd react to the regen, but like you, I love it! I particularly like they way it transitions from regen to coasting at around 6mph...it is so smooth.

Yeah, the trick I continue to learn is getting to the stop sign or red light without using the brake. The motor and regen are so efficient that it does not seem to matter how fast I accelerate from a wh/mile perspective. It takes more power to accelerate quickly, but the energy is the area under the curve and that seems to be pretty constant for a given delta in velocity. I love this car!

If you're falling short just push the accelerator very slightly. The regen will go down a little causing you to stop a bit further down the road. Once you're used to that you can modulate to a very accurate stop. I actually prefer the Model S implementation to the Roadster's, probably due to the ability to turn off creep.

I was told today by a service manager that they are well aware of the issues with 4.1, and are working very hard to get past them.

I too heard that due to issues with the latest v4.1 release Tesla is holding off pushing it to additional cars, but that a new update may be released as soon as next week. We'll know for sure in a few days, since I'm sure the first sighting of a new version will be reported here on TMC...

I'm still on my original firmware. :) i am hoping to see an update by March maybe? 1.15.x still here!!
If there's any human control over the ordering of firmware rollouts, I'd love to them focus on (a) correcting broken owner experience and (b) rewarding owners that give useful feedback. To me, this means updating those that report issues to Tesla first. I hope they're going this route.

Example: I'm on 4.1 and while I'm interested in updating to 4.2, I have only reported minor issues with 4.1 because I haven't (knock on wood...) had any major ones. Consequently, I'd like to see people having significant issues with < 4.2 get the 4.2 upgrade prompt first.

It's potentially "just a small thing" they can do to their update rollout process that can have a huge impact on the overall customer experience and feedback loop.

I'd also like an "initiate update download now" button implemented by the time we're paying for connectivity. I'll be paying for the bandwidth, so bandwidth consumption excuses for delaying my update will no longer have merit. But that feature request is much less important than the above.

It should be illegal to be the first to post of a new software update and give NO details on any fixes or new features! Curses to you, znino! Please correct this or I'll have the mods kick you off this site! (Haha only kidding...kinda :tongue:)

I am so sorry to everyone. I guess my brain was hoping for 4.2 and I accidentally type a 2 instead of a 1. It is 4.1 I updated to. Sorry again for getting hopes up. I will no go give myself a punishment! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still on my original firmware. :) i am hoping to see an update by March maybe? 1.15.x still here!!

I am so sorry to everyone. I guess my brain was hoping for 4.2 and I accidentally type a 2 instead of a 1. It is 4.1 I updated to. Sorry again for getting hopes up. I will no go give myself a punishment! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Whoa whoa whoa ... 4.2?

Please post the version and release notes!!!!

You must chop down the largest tree in the forest with... A HERRING!

3917907975_df5a801ccf_o.jpg

Updates to updates to updates ... If updates are delayed until there are no issues unaddressed by the "next update" it will never come out. The perfect easily becomes the enemy of the good.

OTOH, issuing a badly buggy update is a sure path to running faster and faster to stay where you are (in terms of open issues/problems). Is TM now reduced to hoping for 10 steps forward, 9 steps back, in order to gain ground?