Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noted this in the other thread, but this happened for the first time to me yesterday (or was it the day before?) Either way, I've seen it 4 times in the past couple of days now. My car is set not to power down the displays, yet it does after 30 minutes or so. I'm seeing more and more reports of the black screen issue. I'm wondering if we're seeing something that is becoming more pervasive in v4.1, due to something that is persisting in storage (since soft reboots aren't fixing it).

EDIT: Now that I think about it... 2013 bug perhaps? Seems to have started Tuesday for a lot of people?
I'm not convinced that this is a software issue. If the screen were displaying black pixels, then yes. But the screen isn't displaying anything -- as though the display weren't getting any power. It still accepts input, though, so we know the software behind the screen is working.

I'm not convinced that this is a software issue. If the screen were displaying black pixels, then yes. But the screen isn't displaying anything -- as though the display weren't getting any power. It still accepts input, though, so we know the software behind the screen is working.

I can't rule out software, at least in my case -- mine doesn't appear to accept input when this happens. I also believe it's tied to the fact that despite me using the "keep displays powered" setting, the car will still go to sleep after half an hour or so. I hadn't run into the black screen issue in over a month, and since Tuesday it's happened 4 times to me. There are other reasons I believe it could be software that are causing me to look for patterns.

EDIT: I've been informed that "range mode" setting means the car goes to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity, instead of 2 hours.

Last edited:
EDIT: I've been informed that "range mode" setting means the car goes to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity, instead of 2 hours.

That explains a lot!

This is a bit over the top - the screens don't consume that much power. In any case I think 5 minutes is too short; it should be at least 15. I should be able to stop for a bio break without all the systems having to reboot. Takes a while for everything, e.g. Nav, to come back up.

That explains a lot!

This is a bit over the top - the screens don't consume that much power. In any case I think 5 minutes is too short; it should be at least 15. I should be able to stop for a bio break without all the systems having to reboot. Takes a while for everything, e.g. Nav, to come back up.

I tested this at lunch. Turned on range mode, parked. Returned 30 minutes later and screens immediately powered on with no delay.

As I noted in the scheduled charging thread, I was told today that an update was coming this month (Monday would be nice) that enables scheduled charging. If 4.2 is the next release and this feature is added then I would imagine there will be release notes. I'm not surprised that they'd omit release notes when there are no user visible changes, just bug fixes.