Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree on a bigger button but not mid screen.

A larger button for HomeLink near one of the corners would facilitate using it without have to look at the screen. Actually, I think a geofence with an 'auto open' feature might be even better.

This thread has a great many awesome suggestions from a hellova lotta bright people who really care about Tesla as a car and as a driving experience. Doesn't look like we're getting much attention!

Hello, Tesla software developers . . . is anybody home?

Suggesting to forum moderators: create subfolders or something for these threads that have 50+ pages (for this one things like Navigation, Car Settings, Entertainment, Battery Status, etc). Nobody has the patience to read through that many pages to avoid making duplicate posts/suggestions...

Suggesting to forum moderators: create subfolders or something for these threads that have 50+ pages (for this one things like Navigation, Car Settings, Entertainment, Battery Status, etc). Nobody has the patience to read through that many pages to avoid making duplicate posts/suggestions...

Or make a wiki page. Wikis are good at this.

Make the dome/map lights dimmable via "push & hold". They can be a bit bright for some circumstances, especially in the back seat.

I suspect this is possible via firmware because: 1)I suspect the switch in each light is an input to the lighting control system, not a direct switch to the light itself, and 2) The lights dim on and off when activated, so the dimmer circuitry is there.

Automated motorcycle detection and highlighting in the rear view camera video stream.
They are too small to see clearly in the raw video stream.

Much as I hate motorcyclists lane splitting in fast moving traffic, the ultimate sanction seems too harsh.

Something that Tesla is going to have to figure out anyway for the self driving car:

These are probably dupes (see above post :)). Impressions from less than 24 hours of ownership.

- Searchable TuneIn station list (my iphone & Sonos do this).
- Persistently store Nav destinations (not just in "previous Destinations)
- Button to one-time override the charging timer & begin charging immediately. LEAF has this & is useful such that you don't "forget" to re-enable the charging timer after an impromptu ad-hoc charge (when you're likely in a hurry anyway). I know charge timers are location-based, but you still may want to override the timer somewhere you frequent...like the garage. :)
- Better HomeLink interface...no tactile feedback from the touch screen. Deciding if this in fact is not better off implemented as hard buttons in the headliner after all.

...I keep adding here periodically. Today for more 'far off' wishes

- Pedestrian detection / highlight
- Potential collision with nearby object (eg a tool handle jutting out in a garage)
- Face detection+recog to see who's driving & adjust driving settings

Especially with how fast non-LIDAR (i.e. regular + IR spectrum) mapping and image processing can be done with just cameras you can do a lot (I expect future cars to come with more cameras around for such accessory functions)

Even phones have enough CPU to crunch through some of the image processing needed (see Hands On: Project Tango, Googles 3D-Scanning Phone for Makers | MAKE)

Excuse if this is a repeat I haven't looked through all 62 pages.

GPS enabled homelink activation.
I would like it as an option for gated community receivers.
Automatic signal generation to open the gate as the car approaches using GPS location.
Using the touchscreen is tedious with the drop down boxes.
Of course it would have to be optional because you wouldn't want that on a garage door.

Last edited:
Excuse if this is a repeat I haven't looked through all 62 pages.

GPS enabled homelink activation.
I would like it as an option for gated community receivers.
Automatic signal generation to open the gate as the car approaches using GPS location.
Using the touchscreen is tedious with the drop down boxes.
Of course it would have to be optional because you wouldn't want that on a garage door.

All are good ideas and all have been mentioned before . . . I hope Tesla is listening.

Auto- unfold mirrors above a certain speed (say 20 mph). I can't use the fold/unfold on lock/unlock as I need to keep mine folded when exiting the garage. My previous car had this feature , so now in the MS I find myself down the road with my mirrors still folded.

I'd like to have the ability to have user based driving settings. For example, I'd like to be able to throttle back the max speed based on the user profile. I'd also like to be able to disable web browsing based on user profile.

Basically, when my kid uses it (ie he takes it without my permission), I want it to be a miserable experience for him. I will handle his misery when he returns, but I'd love Tesla to mange his misery during the joy ride.

Basically, when my kid uses it (ie he takes it without my permission), I want it to be a miserable experience for him. I will handle his misery when he returns, but I'd love Tesla to mange his misery during the joy ride.

In such a scenario, how is the car supposed to know it's being driven by User X? You'd need a profile set up for him, and a password or other security measure for the other driver profiles... this is a much more complex request than it might at first appear to be.

Locking the car into a Driver Profile with limits on max torque, max speed, and certain app restrictions sounds a lot like valet mode. How to force a certain driver to use a certain profile, without also forcing other (regular) drivers to use a password or something to access their profile and so the restricted driver cannot access it, is a lot tougher.

Locking the car into a Driver Profile with limits on max torque, max speed, and certain app restrictions sounds a lot like valet mode. How to force a certain driver to use a certain profile, without also forcing other (regular) drivers to use a password or something to access their profile and so the restricted driver cannot access it, is a lot tougher.

That's exactly right and exactly how the valet mode works on my roadster. Activate it, enter a pre defined password to confirm you are the person allowed to set this mode, and the car's speed, torque and certain other features are limited.

David Noland suggests Model S pedal placement is a safety hazard - Page 12

As explained, if you press the brake and accelerator together, a warning chime and message is shown. However, the order matters:

If you are actively braking, and then clip accelerator, there is NOT an accelerator cutoff, you get juice and braking at same time. If you accelerate first, then simultaneously brake, there is accelerator cutoff.

Now we have hill assist, there is no need for this behavior.

The firmware should be changed so that accelerator is cutoff if both brake and accelerator are pressed, no matter which is pressed first.

GPS enabled Homelink activation

B-but, don't we already have that? Whenever I get home and pull up to garage the screen automatically shows me the Homelink profile I created to open the garage. I tap and presto, garage opens. Works great. What am I missing? Do you want garage or gate to automatically open?

David Noland suggests Model S pedal placement is a safety hazard - Page 12

As explained, if you press the brake and accelerator together, a warning chime and message is shown. However, the order matters:

Now we have hill assist, there is no need for this behavior.

The firmware should be changed so that accelerator is cutoff if both brake and accelerator are pressed, no matter which is pressed first.
I agree. In case there is some reason (jack rabbit start?) cutting power with both pedals are depressed could only happen above some threshold speed like 15mph. There is NO good reason to have both pedals pressed above that speed.... but it happens accidentally with larger feet, winter boots, wet shoe that slips, etc. I think it would be a win-win software improvement.