Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 'trickle charge' mode would be nice, where you could program it to charge over a set number of hours in order to keep the battery warm. For instance, I drive about 14 miles to work. Even on 120V at 12 amps the battery is fully charged in about 4.5 hours, but I don't get out of work for around 9 hours. I dialed back the charge to 6 amps today and it kept the battery warm over that ~9 hours without getting to full charge. Would be great if there were an automatic way of doing it where you could program a steady charge to finish at a set time or set number of hours (not a delayed start) so the continuous charge would keep the battery warm (or cooled in the summer).

A 'wake up time' feature would accomplish the same thing. For people that have a predictable schedule for work, they could set the car to wake up and warm the battery back at 7AM in order to be ready to take off at 8AM for instance.

A 'wake up time' feature would accomplish the same thing. For people that have a predictable schedule for work, they could set the car to wake up and warm the battery back at 7AM in order to be ready to take off at 8AM for instance.

Maybe it would, but would it not be better for the pack to maintain a warm temp than to let it cool then warm it back up? I'm sure there will be a "wake up time" option with the app (and maybe the in-car system as well), but it seems better to maintain...esp. if there's a chance you may need to use the car sooner than the scheduled end time.

Maybe it would, but would it not be better for the pack to maintain a warm temp than to let it cool then warm it back up? I'm sure there will be a "wake up time" option with the app (and maybe the in-car system as well), but it seems better to maintain...esp. if there's a chance you may need to use the car sooner than the scheduled end time.

You could be right. Not sure as well what is better for the battery (keep it warm the entire night or warm it up before use).

M-F warm everyday. S-S, would have to be programmed, so that you don't heat the battery for 36 hrs and never use the MS.

couple small things, probably already mentioned here and there:

- would like the average/instant switch in the energy app to be sticky

- would like the seat heaters settings to be not sticky. ie, reset each time the car turns on. it's one of those things i don't always use and easy to forget it's on and gulping juice ('specially in the passenger seat which is what uses it most in my car). it would reset each time in my old car so i'm used to this, but i also think it's the smarter thing for a function like that.

fwiw.

Haven't got the car quite yet, but a few things (including some less commonly mentioned) are high on my list:

1) A button or quick steering wheel action that will raise the car to max height ASAP regardless of speed

2) A new screen for the interface called "Winter Driving" or something similar. This should include at a minimum:
a) Chain mode: Sets heights to be more than usual and alerts driver if going too fast for chains since it is so easy to lose track of how fast you drive the car
b) Traction control options
c) Windshield quick defrost button which optimizes the system to get rid of fog ASAP

3) If they haven't done this yet with latest updates, make default for top of large screen GPS nav direction of travel instead of North

4) User variable manually selected interval windshield wipers as well as improved auto modes with more choices of speed as well

I will probably add more once I drive the car a bit.

Cheers

Haven't got the car quite yet, but a few things (including some less commonly mentioned) are high on my list:

1) A button or quick steering wheel action that will raise the car to max height ASAP regardless of speed

2) A new screen for the interface called "Winter Driving" or something similar. This should include at a minimum:
a) Chain mode: Sets heights to be more than usual and alerts driver if going too fast for chains since it is so easy to lose track of how fast you drive the car
b) Traction control options
c) Windshield quick defrost button which optimizes the system to get rid of fog ASAP

3) If they haven't done this yet with latest updates, make default for top of large screen GPS nav direction of travel instead of North

4) User variable manually selected interval windshield wipers as well as improved auto modes with more choices of speed as well

Agreed except for number three. No idea why anyone would want a map that isn't stable. It's very disorienting to have the map continually turn.

The issue isn't with "ASAP", it's with maintenance. The defog button turns the heat to full and puts it on the windshield. It's actually too much. It needs to ramp back to a maintenance level after a few minutes. Currently when the heat gets too much and you turn it off, it reverts the HVAC settings to something that guarantees it fogs over again.

There is a more mechanical issue with insufficient air flow on the left side of the windshield, and next to none on the side window.

The issue isn't with "ASAP", it's with maintenance. The defog button turns the heat to full and puts it on the windshield. It's actually too much. It needs to ramp back to a maintenance level after a few minutes. Currently when the heat gets too much and you turn it off, it reverts the HVAC settings to something that guarantees it fogs over again.

There is a more mechanical issue with insufficient air flow on the left side of the windshield, and next to none on the side window.

I would suggest "heated windshield". I did not put it on my list at Model S Software/Firmware wishlist - Page 10 because it is not a Software/Firmware item. The heated windshield works great on my 2002 Rav4EV.

The passenger seat heater should shutoff if the seat is empty.

Homelink needs to lose the Config button and increase the geofence distance. A larger button target would be nice. Notice funny behavior when backing out of garage (backup camera on) and the homelink pops up and shifts the video down then back up after homelink disappears.

An ECO driving mode that limits power could be handy. Or maybe extend range mode to also limit acceleration.

A charge log. I'd like to see my charge history and usage/efficiency per charge.

Plus a bunch a previous mentioned improvements.

EDIT: I really want offline google maps.

Last edited:
Is it currently possible to tell each rear door a different thing for child locking? If not, that would be a major important add on for me, as my school drop offs go like this:

Rear driver's side is my 3 year old who cannot be trusted with the door latch at all.

Rear passenger's side is my 6 year old who I have to drop off at the curb, so he needs to be able to open up his own door. Also, there are kids that help open the door, but I think that the exterior door handle will likely be a major point of confusion for the average 4th grader so my son should really be able to open his own door from the inside.

This all equals that that left rear door needs to be child locked and the right rear door needs to not be child locked. Is this currently possible?

If not, add to list. If so, sorry for the post. I have just never seen this mentioned anywhere.

Cheers.

Agreed except for number three. No idea why anyone would want a map that isn't stable. It's very disorienting to have the map continually turn.
Because it's easier to read when travel direction is up - you can more quickly see left from right without first having to orient yourself on the map. Back in my boy scout days of orienteering you would orient the map to North and hold it in front of you in the direction of travel. But just make it an option like every other GPS on the market does.

Because it's easier to read when travel direction is up - you can more quickly see left from right without first having to orient yourself on the map. Back in my boy scout days of orienteering you would orient the map to North and hold it in front of you in the direction of travel. But just make it an option like every other GPS on the market does.

100% agreed. The disconnect is a bit jarring. When navigating I just pay attention to the navigon on the dash now. Would be cool to have a HUD

Must be a boy scout or SCUBA diver (both teach one to navigate the same way) thing. For me, having the map show me which way to turn instantly representing my current view out the windshield is the only way to go and not in the least bit disorienting. For me, I can never figure out what I am supposed to do while driving from a North up map because while driving it takes about 12 calculations in my head before the answer pops up and that is far too distracting from driving. Thus, a North up map for me while driving is utterly useless and a potential hazard.

When the map represents what you already see in front of you, it is much easier to know what to do next quickly, at least for my brain it is anyway.

Cheers.

PS--Any takers on an answer about the rear child lock situation I noted above?

Last edited:
Is it currently possible to tell each rear door a different thing for child locking? If not, that would be a major important add on for me
I don't know of any car company that offers this option, but I can see that it would be useful.
Rear passenger's side is my 6 year old who I have to drop off at the curb, so he needs to be able to open up his own door. Also, there are kids that help open the door, but I think that the exterior door handle will likely be a major point of confusion for the average 4th grader so my son should really be able to open his own door from the inside.
I disagree that there will be any confusion. The handles are incredibly simply to operate as long as you don't grab them the instant they extend. The fourth-graders will be gawking at the handles long enough for this to be a non-issue. :)

Must be a boy scout or SCUBA diver (both teach one to navigate the same way) thing.

Neither actually, but to know where you are in relation to the rest of the city, if you have north facing up, it's easier to figure out where you want to go. In the city I grew up in, I didn't learn that way, and I still have difficulty orienting myself properly there (I can get around without getting lost but cardinal directions just aren't). If you just do the "blind faith" bit--which is what happens when the direction of travel is up--then if the Nav system becomes unavailable you won't have a clue as to where you are in relation to where you want to go. And because the Nav Lady (I've never heard of a Nav Gentleman although I don't know why) tells you to turn right or left, the direction to turn shouldn't be a problem.

I don't know of any car company that offers this option, but I can see that it would be useful.

I will tell you one. Kia.

If Kia can do it, certainly all the other auto manufacturers can.

How did they achieve this amazing feat? The doors are not at all electronic. Old school latches. In a part of each rear door that is hidden when the door is closed, there is a simple switch that turns on or off the child safety feature. One switch for each door. Each independently controlled.

My current 2005 Kia Sportage EX 4WD has this feature.

If it is true that none of the high end manufacturers have this feature... why the hell not?????!!! Doesn't anybody who makes cars have kids at different ages? I'm just a dumb ER doc, but to me this is a totally obvious no-brainer feature. Sorry for the rant, but I am shocked if the majority of nicer cars lack this feature. Makes me feel better that I was poorer in residency.

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Neither actually, but to know where you are in relation to the rest of the city, if you have north facing up, it's easier to figure out where you want to go. In the city I grew up in, I didn't learn that way, and I still have difficulty orienting myself properly there (I can get around without getting lost but cardinal directions just aren't). If you just do the "blind faith" bit--which is what happens when the direction of travel is up--then if the Nav system becomes unavailable you won't have a clue as to where you are in relation to where you want to go. And because the Nav Lady (I've never heard of a Nav Gentleman although I don't know why) tells you to turn right or left, the direction to turn shouldn't be a problem.

I almost always agree with you, but on this point I must depart. If I need a hard copy map with north up because I am utterly disoriented, then I will pull over. When I am driving, I need quick access to the most useful info on the fly. North up is simply too much thinking for me.

Cheers.