Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect the reason they didn't do it is because what happens when you and your wife go out in your car? It's going to see both fobs at once. Who should it pick?

This really wouldn't be that difficult of a problem.

The software could be written to ignore a second fob if it detected one recently, and still detects that first one, so the first fob it detects would be the one it sets the seating position / driver profile for. If you and your spouse are approaching the car together, you simply have the driver approach first, or, if you forget to do that, or that is not convenient, you simply set the driver profile as you normally would, when you enter the car. The "two approaching fobs, with the wrong fob approaching first" is an edge case that leaves the users no worse off than they are now, where the fobs are not tied to driver profiles. For all the times only one fob would be approaching, plus the times with two fobs, where the driver would simply approach first, connecting a fob to a driver profile would work.

I'm not sure why Tesla hasn't given us this yet. It really doesn't seem like it should be that difficult. It would simplify things for those of us who literally can't fit into the seating position our spouses use, so have to reach awkwardly into the car to select our own profile before sitting down if our spouse has driven the car last and left their profile set.

This is actually a good example of a situation where a little money thrown at software development could save Tesla some money down the road. There are many Tesla households using exit profiles, where both drivers are moving the driver's seat far back and far forward (and possibly also adjusting the steering wheel) every time anyone exits and enters the vehicle. How much wear and tear is that causing that may result, eventually, in warranty replacements of parts? Even those not using an exit profile are probably moving seats more because of this than they otherwise might. My wife sets my profile when she leaves the car unless she is 100% certain she will be driving the car next. If she does drive the car next, that was two moves of completely wasted effort, that the software connecting fobs to profiles would make unnecessary.

It really seems like a no-brainer that it should be cheaper for Tesla to enhance the software and provide this functionality that many people want anyway than to replace seat parts under warranty.

Last edited:
This really wouldn't be that difficult of a problem.

The software could be written to ignore a second fob if it detected one recently, and still detects that first one, so the first fob it detects would be the one it sets the seating position / driver profile for. If you and your spouse are approaching the car together, you simply have the driver approach first, or, if you forget to do that, or that is not convenient, you simply set the driver profile as you normally would, when you enter the car. The "two approaching fobs, with the wrong fob approaching first" is an edge case that leaves the users no worse off than they are now, where the fobs are not tied to driver profiles. For all the times only one fob would be approaching, plus the times with two fobs, where the driver would simply approach first, connecting a fob to a driver profile would work.

I'm not sure why Tesla hasn't given us this yet. It really doesn't seem like it should be that difficult. It would simplify things for those of us who literally can't fit into the seating position our spouses use, so have to reach awkwardly into the car to select our own profile before sitting down if our spouse has driven the car last and left their profile set.

This is actually a good example of a situation where a little money thrown at software development could save Tesla some money down the road. There are many Tesla households using exit profiles, where both drivers are moving the driver's seat far back and far forward (and possibly also adjusting the steering wheel) every time anyone exits and enters the vehicle. How much wear and tear is that causing that may result, eventually, in warranty replacements of parts? Even those not using an exit profile are probably moving seats more because of this than they otherwise might. My wife sets my profile when she leaves the car unless she is 100% certain she will be driving the car next. If she does drive the car next, that was two moves of completely wasted effort, that the software connecting fobs to profiles would make unnecessary.

It really seems like a no-brainer that it should be cheaper for Tesla to enhance the software and provide this functionality that many people want anyway than to replace seat parts under warranty.

I fully agree. I am 6'3" and my wife is 5'1". The exit mode is often used when we both drive to avoid that long reach over. This should be an easy software fix.

I suspect the reason they didn't do it is because what happens when you and your wife go out in your car? It's going to see both fobs at once. Who should it pick?

I would like three key memory modes: off, auto, and button. For couples who have issues with key confusion, set it to only move the seat when the fob button is used to unlock the car. I would also want the seat (when in auto) to only adjust once the driver's door is opened to prevent walk-bys from adjusting the seat. Both could help with preventing adjustment when the other key is used to only access the car.

3 Days Left

3 Days Left

It looks like we are getting a lot of voting activity. If you have not yet voted please take the time to review the ideas/bugs and vote for your priority. Keep in mind that the entire list will be used and you can vote for as many different ideas/bugs as you want.

Please don't just vote for the top ideas. Start from the bottom of the list if you want to make sure you are getting through it all.

Here is a refresher on the categories. Please do your best to stick with the categories! Try to avoid the adding ideas to the miscellaneous category and remember this is about software, not hardware.

MediaPlayer:
Autopilot
Battery&Charging
Navigation
User Interface
Miscellaneous

If you need a reminder of what this is about then start with the Voting thread

Last edited:
3 Days Left

It looks like we are getting a lot of voting activity. If you have not yet voted please take the time to review the ideas/bugs and vote for your priority. Keep in mind that the entire list will be used and you can vote for as many different ideas/bugs as you want.

Please don't just vote for the top ideas. Start from the bottom of the list if you want to make sure you are getting through it all.

Here is a refresher on the categories. Please do your best to stick with the categories! Try to avoid the miscellaneous category and remember this is about software, not hardware.

MediaPlayer:
Autopilot
Battery&Charging
Navigation
User Interface
Miscellaneous

If you need a reminder of what this is about then start with the Voting thread

You may want to edit the language in this a bit the next time you post it to say "Try to avoid adding new suggestions in the miscellaneous category..."

As it reads now, someone could misunderstand, and think they should avoid voting in the miscellaneous category.

21 Hours Left

Here is a refresher on the categories. Please do your best to stick with the categories! Try to avoid adding ideas to the miscellaneous category and remember this is about software, not hardware.

MediaPlayer:
Autopilot
Battery&Charging
Navigation
User Interface
Miscellaneous

While using auto pilot speed control and following behind another car it would be helpful to have the following distance displayed just ahead of the Tesla car in the dashboard. Currently you must twist the control knob to see what setting you are on.

There is a lot of summarizing and categorization left to do. The data set is pretty comprehensive with a bunch of great ideas. Thank you everyone for helping to pull it together.

For now, you can see the raw results right on the website using the same links as before.

MediaPlayer:
Autopilot
Battery&Charging
Navigation
User Interface
Miscellaneous

The data in excel form is available at the below links...

excel-11-15-15 4-03 PM-tricider.xls - Google Drive
excel-11-15-15 4-06 PM-tricider.xls - Google Drive
excel-11-15-15 4-05 PM-tricider.xls - Google Drive
excel-11-15-15 4-06 PM-tricider (1).xls - Google Drive
excel-11-15-15 4-07 PM-tricider.xls - Google Drive
excel-11-15-15 4-04 PM-tricider.xls - Google Drive

For those of you who want the initial, and very high level, summary you can click the image below. It was an amazing coincidence that while generating the word cloud the word "speed" was the most prevalent. I swear I did not purposefully tweak it. Can you guess what car silhouette was used for the graphic?

attachment.php?attachmentid=101306&d=1447863713.png

There are a lot of interesting correlations and connections in the data. It is going to take some time to go through them.

I do want to warn everyone again that sometimes those things we desire the most are the most difficult to implement. That said, solving a bunch of the simple challenges will go a long way in driving satisfaction as well. For me, it works best to treat releases that address my requests as a pleasant surprise.

Many thanks to supratachophobia for the passionate and thoughtful engagement. Above and beyond!

Apologies in advance, if this was mentioned somewhere in the last 1053 messages and I missed it....

I would like a configurable option, where at the end of every driving session (change to P, or door opened), a popup would appear offering me quick access to open the trunk. The popup could go away by itself, unnoticed, if I don't tap it within 5 seconds or something. I find that very often, I have something in the trunk I need to get and it would be very convenient to not have to take keys out of my pocket or navigate to controls and then back.

Apologies in advance, if this was mentioned somewhere in the last 1053 messages and I missed it....

I would like a configurable option, where at the end of every driving session (change to P, or door opened), a popup would appear offering me quick access to open the trunk. The popup could go away by itself, unnoticed, if I don't tap it within 5 seconds or something. I find that very often, I have something in the trunk I need to get and it would be very convenient to not have to take keys out of my pocket or navigate to controls and then back.

You know that there is a button on the trunk itself that you can press, right? (I'm not trying to be a wise-a...err...guy. Actually trying to be helpful here.) You can just use the button if you don't want to take out the fob or use the option on the screen.

New member/owner and 1st time posting. Thanks for putting this together, saw some great ideas in the list.

2 features that I didn't see or just missed(?):
- Video player while parked,
- Add shortcut or functional to unused buttons (Eg: the steering wheel left "rewind" or down button does nothing when playing slacker radio).

Is the tricision list closed?

Great job! Thanks for all the work. What happens from here? Do you have any "in" at Tesla to get these actually presented to and considered by Tesla?

And on another note, I was surprised not to see a category of requests related to the phone apps, or is it just that they are part of another category? And no, I did not read through all the 1000+ posts! I can see potential for several improvements to the phone app, particularly more comprehensive controls on climate control features. (Would love to be able to turn on defroster remotely, for example.)