Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When using navigation, left dash area replaces power graph with the nav view. Occasionally, I don't need that nav on the dash, and would prefer to bring up the real-time power graph. Especially if there are no turns in the next few hours as I drive through the mountains. I'd like to be able to toggle the two views.

While this is the default as soon as you start a navigation, you can always change the view to something else by holding in the left scroll wheel and selecting the power graph or whatever other screen you want.

Tesla PLEASE, Give us an Option to place the Rear Cam at the top!

The O/S in the car is Linux, from my understanding it is even based off of Ubuntu.
Can Tesla offer some simple custom desktop/Car UI theme settings or tweaks. That we can save to our profile.
Also, they could see what the owners/users like more based off what popular theme or tweak setting people are using.

LOL, I don't have nor do I want a twitter account but can someone.
Please ask Elon Musk, if we can have Freedom to choose and personalize some parts of our UI?

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Restore split screen functionality that V9 removes, I drive with rear camera on top and browser with waze on bottom ALWAYS

I will not be updating to V9 or higher till I see that has been fixed.
Please executive-escalate to Tesla (from inside your tesla.com account). Tell them that the service centers seem to be unable to reach the software team, thus requiring executive escalation. Also tell them that this is a WARRANTY ISSUE -- the split-screen functionality was an advertised and documented feature when you bought your car.

Tweet at Elon Musk.

I'm now trying publishing an open letter on Cleantechnica to see if *that* will get their attention.

If that doesn't get their attention, the step after that is lawsuits; someone's already threatened a class action. A lot of work, but it will benefit Tesla's corporate culture in the long run if they aren't allowed to get away with breaking our cars.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
New features that should have been included long ago include:
  • Auto closing of Sun Roof when it starts to rain;
  • Auto closing of ALL windows when it starts to rain;
  • Alternatively, allow me to close windows from Phone App.;
  • When plugged in @ SuperCharger, we need an emergency button to physically eject and unplug the car should there be an immanent danger to the car or the occupants (Currently, we are sitting ducks should a gang approach our plugged in Tesla.);
  • Allow us to return to the previous S/W release when we realize that the new release has too many bugs in it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: neroden and Donz_S
If that doesn't get their attention, the step after that is lawsuits; someone's already threatened a class action. A lot of work, but it will benefit Tesla's corporate culture in the long run if they aren't allowed to get away with breaking our cars.
5 days after taking V9, and no longer having the camera on top, I quit using the camera altogether. And on that 5th day, I hit a truck in my rear right blind spot. If THAT isn't reason for a lawsuit, nothing is!

• Love
Reactions: neroden
When plugged in @ SuperCharger, we need an emergency button to physically eject and unplug the car should there be an immanent danger to the car or the occupants (Currently, we are sitting ducks should a gang approach our plugged in Tesla.);
Wow and Wow! Yes! I totally agree! I've sat in the car late in the night wondering what I would do if someone were approach me with bad intent. Yes, a sitting duck! At least with an ICE, I could simply pull away and rip the gasoline hose off of the breakaway stalk.

Reactions: BozieBeMe2
In a separate post, I mentioned writing the executive board (and they approved the request) about adding a new mode similar to Valet, so that when the vehicle is in the shop (tires, body, battery, etc), we can hide personal information yet allow the vehicle to be open/available to technicians to do their work unimpeded.

Reactions: Eevee
Ability to show the front camera view (besides just dash cam with thumb drive) when selecting camera icon (only rear camera now). This would really help with pull in parking.
Easier access to Cold Weather controls (Model S post V9).
Oncoming traffic alert when parked (for exiting vehicle on street).
Social Media Connect for Contact info including photos, addresses, etc.
Beyond Beta Performance for Auto Wipers
More Stable Home Link Set Up and Performance
Ability to Adjust Suspension while driving
CarPlay or better Audio Controls to fine tune

Reactions: Donz_S and Eevee
New features that should have been included long ago include:
  • Auto closing of Sun Roof when it starts to rain;
  • Auto closing of ALL windows when it starts to rain;

I'm guessing there are safety issues with that. For instance, if you're caught in a flash flood and the car is being submerged, you want to escape the vehicle, not have water sensors lock it up tight.

Flash floods are the number one weather-related cause of human death. And the leading method by which people die in a flash flood is that they drive right into it and overestimate their vehicle's ability to handle the water.
NWS Turn Around Don't Drown Program, Signs and Resources

Sure would be nice to have all these ideas in uservoice so we could vote on them.
Tried something like that a couple years ago with more than 200 registered TMC members voting across a multi-week concerted effort to prioritize requirements through a fairly analytical process, then submitting results and detail to what the leaders of that effort believed were “key Tesla leaders” that could effect change. Despite a couple of people’s POV several months after-the-fact, IMHO it never resulted in any real or direct change from all the hard work so many true owners here put into the effort, other than what I’d say was coincidence.

As much as I love my MS, but curse parts of it each and every day, I still believe that Tesla Execs think “they know best” and don’t care as much acting on real owner or advisory council input vs. perhaps what a random tweet — to a certain Tesla Exec that may at that moment happen to be receptive — can sometimes change as an end result.

Tried something like that a couple years ago with more than 200 registered TMC members voting across a multi-week concerted effort to prioritize requirements through a fairly analytical process, then submitting results and detail to what the leaders of that effort believed were “key Tesla leaders” that could effect change. Despite a couple of people’s POV several months after-the-fact, IMHO it never resulted in any real or direct change from all the hard work so many true owners here put into the effort, other than what I’d say was coincidence.

As much as I love my MS, but curse parts of it each and every day, I still believe that Tesla Execs think “they know best” and don’t care as much acting on real owner or advisory council input vs. perhaps what a random tweet — to a certain Tesla Exec that may at that moment happen to be receptive — can sometimes change as an end result.

I wouldn't call that approach equivalent to uservoice. What you're describing is a shocking amount of work, which in theory is far more valuable than UV in concept, but only at one point in time, and if that time is right... the value erodes sharply from there. In contrast, user voice represents a low-effort means of self-organizing the data, so that at any point in time you can point to the most sought-after requests, even as interests evolve, so that the data's always there when the time is right. We can say "take it or leave it", without sacrificing much, and we'll all know what the score is, so we can stitch it into our conversations and tweets. It won't be nearly as accurate as a uniform accounting of priorities across 200 people, but it won't be as painful when the data is ignored, either.

The reason I want it is so that I don't have to write up and post a list of the same features that so many others have requested... I can just write up the unique ones and vote on the others. Plus I can see how popular those things I'm wishing for are without having to read through years of posts. It feels pretty un-empowering to search and locate a two year old idea just to post "bump", or to start a new post off with "I'm sure someone has suggested this before, but what if..." knowing that hundreds of eyes will roll as they suffer another rehash of an old idea.