Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a bad idea, but I doubt that school zones are recorded on navigation maps and the fact that school zones are slower only during certain times of the day and certain days of the year would make this complicated. In AZ, the speed limit in school zones is 15mph.

It's 15mph in most places I've seen... and is one of the few speed limits often enforced with zero tolerance for any excess speed at all. And that, IMHO, is a very good thing. Kids are small, fast, and unpredictable.

I'd like to repost my mock-up that I posted waaaay back when, before Tesla implemented the geo-fenced Homelink. I think this would solve the issue, but I get that Tesla want to keep it in the dropdown, but they could just make the dropdown buttons larger, and move the config to somewhere else.

View attachment 32564

One other idea I flip between thinking it's cool and not cool would be a simple screen with four or five buttons on it, 20mph, 30mph, 40mph, 50mph, 60mph....could be used to lock the speed in school zones or other zones popular with the local PD, but would also be fun at red light when you just tap the button, and then as you accelerate, the acceleration tops off at your selected speed. Often when I'm leaving a red light I need up doing 10mph more than I should be, and this would solve that challenge.
A pretty nice mock up. Maybe much larger lettering and huge buttons please. A much larger size should not be an issue for anyone regardless of what's on the screen - if you're in front of your garage, you hardly need navigation, clearly don't need the backup camera, probably don't need the phone, and aren't apt to be using the energy app. Ca'mon Tesla, enlarge the HomeLink button.

A pretty nice mock up. Maybe much larger lettering and huge buttons please. A much larger size should not be an issue for anyone regardless of what's on the screen - if you're in front of your garage, you hardly need navigation, clearly don't need the backup camera, probably don't need the phone, and aren't apt to be using the energy app. Ca'mon Tesla, enlarge the HomeLink button.

The buttons could definitely be somewhat larger without causing an issue. The single row of buttons in that mockup (Cancel, Door 1, Door 2, Door 3) would be perfect. I'd say the top part ("You appear to be approaching home") is a waste of space and actually counterproductive... it's not safe for me to be reading stuff on screen while I drive! Just show the one row of buttons and we're done.

Please don't be too quick to discount what else is on the screen. I have to back out into the street from my garage, for example, and the geofenced HomeLink button activates precisely at the moment when I most need to see my backup camera. "If you're in front of your garage you don't need anything else on the screen" is going to be flat-out wrong in some cases, and even if those are only 10% of the total it would be wrong to design something that works well only 90% of the time.

It's a huge screen. The buttons only need to be big enough to touch reliably without distracting one from watching the road. There is absolutely no need to step on other functionality to get better buttons for HomeLink.

Regarding HomeLink buttons. My problem is that the list is vertical and as I am cruising into my driveway it's hard to hit the right button because of bumps and such. I frequently open the wrong door.

Tire change mode. GREAT IDEA! I don't think the range of lift is sufficient, though.

As to German Automotive Engineers being ashamed. I think ALL Automotive Engineers should be ashamed. But that is the way of entrenched thinking and it is the nature of a disruptive advance like the Model S to wash it all away.

I'd say the top part ("You appear to be approaching home") is a waste of space and actually counterproductive... it's not safe for me to be reading stuff on screen while I drive! Just show the one row of buttons and we're done.

Actually I kind of like it. That huge space could be used as a large button that, when pressed, would automatically detect your location and transmit the appropriate Homelink signal. That way there is no need to mess with Door 1, 2, etc.

Not sure if this has been said yet...

i have my steering wheel scroll selector set as default to the panoramic roof so i can quickly open and close it (love it). What i find annoying is if i scroll up (in the same logical direction as "closing" the panoramic roof) this actually opens it. And when i scroll down, it closes it. Not sure if anyone cares about this, but to me this is counter intuitive. Could be an easy update...or at least a customizable option.

I've had my MSP for half a week now. Best car in the world (and yes, I have driven a Rolls-Royce before).

I would like more information, e.g.

- what is the current altitude (help me make sense of the energy consumption)
- alternative routes in the navigation (like shortest or fastest, avoid Autobahns or toll roads)
- all the info my roadster does display (temps, g-force ...)

Can you imagine making the best car in the world an even better car?

i have my steering wheel scroll selector set as default to the panoramic roof so i can quickly open and close it (love it). What i find annoying is if i scroll up (in the same logical direction as "closing" the panoramic roof) this actually opens it. And when i scroll down, it closes it. Not sure if anyone cares about this, but to me this is counter intuitive. Could be an easy update...or at least a customizable option.

+1

This confuses me every time

Oh good, I'm not the only person that noticed this. It drives me batty. I'd love for them to fix it to match the roof direction.

Would love to see better phone integration, many other systems now have access to your phones email and text messages. They could probably even set up their own email client since theres already 3G, but text messages that you can read/ have read to you, and respond to on screen would be a great upgrade.

Never going to happen -- it's illegal in California (at a minimum), and just unwise. Can you imagine the safety issues if people are watching Hulu on their touchscreen?

I believe it's a federal law. The screen must be located behind the driver.

However if the car is stopped and has not moved in 5 minutes or the parking brake is set this should be allowed and would be really cool.

However if the car is stopped and has not moved in 5 minutes or the parking brake is set this should be allowed and would be really cool.

My old SLK had a TV (this was a UK model), when you got above 5mph the screen would black out, and the audio would continue. It actually worked really well, it's amazing how much more subtly in the script you pick up when it's just audio. This kind of functionality should be easy to code (?)

Mercedes have dual view screens, the driver and passenger see different images. So its not that it has to be behind the driver, just maybe out of view of the driver. I think its regulated on a state level though because MB website says check local state laws.

Don't have our car yet but the other day I thought of an option to hit a button to crack all the windows 1/2 inch so the car doesn't get as hot sitting in the sun.

Then along the same lines

Does the car have rain sensing wipers? If so it would be cool if the car is parked and the pano roof is open and it starts to rain that the car would automatically close the pano roof.

Don't have our car yet but the other day I thought of an option to hit a button to crack all the windows 1/2 inch so the car doesn't get as hot sitting in the sun.

Then along the same lines

Does the car have rain sensing wipers? If so it would be cool if the car is parked and the pano roof is open and it starts to rain that the car would automatically close the pano roof.
Great ideas. Roll up the windows in case of rain too.