Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When using the app and pre-heating the car, I can choose the temperature but not the fan speed. This means if I left the car with the fan on 1, and wanted to pre heat the car the next day, it will only do it at a fan speed of 1. It would be super helpful if I had more control with regards to the pre heating.

Bonus if I could also select defrost!

If you're jealous of all those Hellcat drivers who can actually burn rubber while we can only quietly zoom ahead then vote for this option (only for dual motor cars): when this mode is active pressing the accelerator powers the rear motor normally but powers the front motor in reverse at approximately the same RPM. Now you can smoke 'em as long as you like:)

(This message brought to by your friendly neighborhood tire store ;-)

I had a few media player suggestions. Is it for certain that Tesla actually read this thread and/or is another place to submit these?

A little background, I've used an Empeg for the last 13 years in every car I've owned. I would consider their take on in-car music to be the pinnacle of feature set and intuitiveness. If you have a chance, read the wiki about it. Now here goes:

+option to not load album art when scrolling any list of music. The lack of performance of the tegra3 chipset is very clear here and extremely unflattering to the interface when it stutters / jumps / freezes while scrolling
+add "play all under" option much like is found when you make it into an artist folder. So when browsing by folder, and you make it one layer down, give option to play everything in the directory tree. This would be especially useful to everyone who has music organized by directory (genre --> artist --> album). For example, there are many subsets of pop and techno. Sometimes I want to listen to anything electronic so therefore trance, techno, electronica. But as it is now, I can only choose one of those subsets at a time or change the genres to all the same and screw up the organization on the other end when a specific genre is needed.
++ability to append playlist of genres/artists/albums together and either play in order or shuffle the group. For example, play pop rock, then add techno, shuffle is on, then plays music from both genres in the playlist.
++shuffle turn-off resumes at next song in album. For example, I'm playing genre soundtracks and battle of endor comes up from return of the Jedi, I turn shuffle off and the next track is the emperor's throne room track. Hit shuffle back on, and I get a new soundtrack on next play.
++buttons on now playing interface for "insert artist" and "insert album" into a shuffled playlist. For example, Fiona apple's criminal comes on and I say "I sure am feeling like a bad girl", hit insert artist button and media player grabs a random song from the same artist that was set to play later on and moves it to the head of the line. Same functionality for "insert album", another song from the album plays next instead of jumping out completely. Here is the kicker, multiple presses results in multiple changes. I press it six times, the next six songs are Fiona apple
++ability to rename USB device labels from generic USB 1/2
++more granular control over equalizer. Empeg has five band x 4 channel or 10 band by 2 channel parametric earlier built in, along with, wait for it... Savable presets that could be customized by the user and selected at will
+++bookmarks that save timestamp in the track, more so useful when listening to audio books. Also useful for audio books, real-time timestamp display when holding marker in seek bar.
+info button on now playing screen that brings up bitrate, file details, encoder info, file type
++++recently added playlist with customizable window of time. For example, if it is set to 30 days, the playlist generates and plays everything added to that media in last 30 days
+playlist generation to organize a playlist selection by least often played, most often played in addition to new addition suggestion above

In all suggestions above, I use the term playlist to define the list of music selected to play. They are not generated by the user persay ahead of time (and are not m3u files), they are generated by the media player itself as needed.

Apologies if this was already mentioned, but I would love to be able to send destination information to the car from my phone / computer. Ideally be able to send a planned route (though this may be moot with the new software forthcoming).

Current workaround is to make a calendar entry with destination in your iPhone/Android phone. Then touch on it in the calendar pop up or window in the car and it's fed to the navigation app.

Simple suggestion that I know some EVs already have: show a running tally of how much CO2 you've prevented from being pumped into the atmosphere. Even if it just uses national avgs for everything.

Same with gas money saved, etc.

Kinda wish the car kept track of other random stuff too, (like how on the PS3 you can get "achievements").

Examples:

"Visited 100 Chargers!"

"Driven 10,000 miles"

"Fastest charge time"

"Slowest charge time"

"Most visited charger"

"Furthest charger from home"

"Easter eggs discovered"

"Lowest Wh/mile usage"

"Highest wh/mile usage"

"Location of most regen received"

"1000 right turns completed"

"10 Superchargers visited"

LOL, could be fun!

Last edited:
I would like a better Trip Meter App. The A and B trip meters are too basic. Lifetime setting would be good. Trip duration/timer. Make it exportable. Maybe tie to the calender app, so work trips could easily generate a mileage log.

I would like to see an Info app that displays a whole bunch of data about the car:

battery temp(s)
motor temp(s)
coolant temp
coolant pump speed (or just on/off)
fan speed(s)
motor rpm
instantaneous wh/mile
inside and outside air temp, pressure, humidity
tire pressures and temps
battery voltage
battery current
motor currents
accessory current
apparent wind speed and direction (would need new sensors)
no doubt many other things I haven't thought of yet

Ideally these would be displayed as analog dials (with digital values inset; like the current speedo) but any format would be better than nothing. For fun, the app could allow the user to configure which items are displayed and how they're arranged.

Here's a few of mine:
1. Though it has not happened to me, allow users to reapply an update if an error occurs, possibly by keeping a prior usable version of software as backup. Boot to prior version. As more users come online, it would be nice to have that feature so I don't always worry that my car is bricked after an update.
2. Web enable some features of my iOS app. Location, Preheat, amount charge left. Unless I am a missing something about security.
3. More data to those who want it. Like above thread.
4. User selectable seat location for iOS app. So when my tiny wife leaves her settings for the seat in place and I can barely fit in.
5. Have a choice to have the driver window controls allow us to have up to 4 drivers for seat selection. So when I open my door and my wife left the seat in her positions, I can select the driver
window down and it returns it to mine. Once I get in car and then put foot on brake the window controls come back online.
6. I know its a hardware upgrade, but I would like the flashy blind spot notification in the mirrors.
7. Precondition schedule that I set, not just smart preconditioning.
8. When plugged in, I can keep the battery warm with a trickle charge (once battery is full). So I can have better efficiency in colder weather.
9. Keep battery full no matter what when plugged in. No vampire loss, up and down, even a few miles.
10. Keep regen feel even if regen not working. Its sometimes scary when you lose the regen feel when you are used to it. Let the software decide whether or not to actual regen, but keep the feel. Consistency is safer.
11. Snail Mode or Eco mode beyond range mode. Really for those of us that have cold weather that want big time efficiency rather than sport/insane mode. Meaning if I lose 40% efficiency in very cold weather, then let me set my car to gain 40% efficiency with Eco mode. Even if it runs like a Prius. OR Super max range mode. If I want, decrease all performance to let me totally max range.
12. Heat steering wheel under a certain set temperature.
13. Car play for apple devices. Similar for android.
14. iWatch app (envious that BMW has one)
15. More automated features, like when I get in my Tesla, it tells me hello, where am I headed, I tell it work, it tells me traffic looks good, all systems good, etc. maybe something funny like a joke (think humor level in movie interstellar) Cutesy but cool.That I have enough charge, etc. Do you want my to back it out for you? (when autopilot comes)
Thats enough for now.

If Tesla wanted to, they could use thrid party apps (typically web pages) as a giude for features to add.

With their knowledge and access to vehicle data, they could do so much more than these other apps.

I would like to see the UI screen have the ability to display more than one or two apps at a time.

The screen real estate could be split into 8 zones (4 rows, two columns), not including the header or footer row. Any app should be able to use 1 zone, 2 (a row), 4 (two rows), 6 (three rows), or all 8 zones (the entire screen).

I would like to see the UI screen have the ability to display more than one or two apps at a time.

The screen real estate could be split into 8 zones (4 rows, two columns), not including the header or footer row. Any app should be able to use 1 zone, 2 (a row), 4 (two rows), 6 (three rows), or all 8 zones (the entire screen).

Have you seen their concept update for the UI? Tesla Interface Concept on Vimeo

My wish list would include elements of some of those already listed, however in addition, I would like to see the media player add software which would allow playing talking books from an external DVD/CD drive.

In addition, for those of us who use Windows OS phones, I would like to see APPs developed for that OS.