Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Specifications, Teases and Leaks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our phones began ringing with people who wanted to place orders three minutes after the e-mail went out on Friday

Guilty as charged :biggrin:! I did pick up the phone when I saw the email. I was told that they would email me a reservation agreement on Monday, which they did. I dropped it off in person in San Carlos that same day along with a check. Now, all I have to do is wait 2 1/2 years and maybe I'll get a car...

I thought I read that but wasn't sure if it was speculation or fact. Did they say what the deposit would be after the signature 1000 ?

Did they have enough info for you to pick any options yet ?

Are all of the Sig 1000's simply LOADED ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Deposit after first 1,000 Signature Series (there's also a small Founder's Series) is $5k. I think you can reserve a non-signature vehicle now ... but not sure.

$10k discount applies ONLY TO SIGNATURE SERIES (which will likely be priced higher that non-signature cars) for "registered owner of a Tesla Roadster" (at the time of delivery of Model S (a subtle but important detail)).

Can't pick options yet ...

Not sure if Signature Series is LOADED ... but I strongly doubt it ... reason ( I suspect ) is they still don't have enough firm idea about pricing. So ... other than special badging, there's no way to know yet what options MIGHT BE included vis-a-vis non-signature car.

"So the discount is on the upcharge?"

I guess it all depends on how you look at it ... I was at first happy to see TM/Elon give a $10k discount to existing Roadster Owners for loyalty (the long delays, risk, etc) in communications made a few weeks ago. But then finding out it only applies to those who once again take a HUGE leap of faith (another 2 years, $40k risk, unknown (?"volatile"-last-minute?) pricing and options, etc) kind of cooled any enthusiasm.

TM, of course, has learned from past mistakes. And they must run a viable, profitable business. And they are entitled to that. But the (apparent) tactics behind it kind of chase away the warm fuzzy feelings ...

If you want to support Tesla by ordering one of the 1,000 Signature Series you get the $10k discount if you are a registered owner of a Roadster at delivery time. You are paying for an exclusive specially badged car. For the privilege of getting the special badging, and MAY BE some extra options that get bundled (or may be not ... they haven't said yet) you will be paying extra. How much extra are you paying ? Who knows ... it still depends on what will be included. How much extra are you willing to pay extra ? That's a personal choice ... And if you are willing to do all that to own something exclusive, THEN you get $10k off.

So ... it all depends on how you look at it and what your personal preferences are.

But in my opinion EVERY 2008 Roadster investor that's risked his/her $$$ and waited a LONG time (in some case 2 1/2 years), and maybe even 2009 Roadster deliveries, should get the $10k discount on a Signature Model S WITHOUT the at-time-of-delivery-registration requirement if they put up another at-risk-$40k-deposit now.

At least (so far) a Roadster owner can still get to the head of the line for non-signature Model S with a $5k deposit. That's some consolation.

At least (so far) a Roadster owner can still get to the head of the line for non-signature Model S with a $5k deposit. That's some consolation.

I have already emailed and asked about that. I want to buy #1,001 and only put down $5,000 for it.

In fact I think waiting makes sense, to allow production to work out the kinks.
The first few Roadsters had issues with the transmission and the carbon fiber body panels not fitting properly. I am thinking that everything should be running smoothly by #1,001.

At $5,000 I also won't have so much money at risk in case Tesla Motors doesn't make it.

Eventually, says Musk, you will be able to call it on your cell phone to unlock it, turn on the lights and start the motor.

Start the motor? Erm, like Kitt? Or that BMW from James Bond?

And at Tesla they dream on. In the same plant where we saw the cars, Tesla is building parts for a rocket ship they say will someday carry passengers to Mars.

I wonder what SpaceX think of this new competition? :rolleyes:

You know you're going super fast, but because it's so smooth and quiet, it's hard to tell just how fast.
More fuel for the discussion of how people are sometimes apparently mistakenly going faster than the brakes can handle.
And the fuel efficiency -- zero miles to the gallon; the roadster is totally electric.
Zero miles to the gallon sounds odd / bad. Like even "worse" than 1 MPG. I am tempted to say infinite miles to the gallon, but zero is actually technically correct unless we venture into MPGe.
...it can power your whole house for 24 hours.
In theory I suppose. Has *anyone* ever actually powered their house from a Roadster? This statement in a story might get some potential customers to think it is ready to go as a backup power source for power outages.
It runs absolutely silent, no "engine" noise whatsoever.
Well, there is faint amount of "motor" whine. Most people like it.
you get a tax credit if you buy one, which brings the price down to a manageable $102,000.
I would have put "manageable" in quotes there!
In the same plant where we saw the cars, Tesla is building parts for a rocket ship they say will someday carry passengers to Mars.
Apparently the reporter wasn't explained the difference between Tesla and SpaceX.

The World Newser

It mentions something about Model S having 3G Internet inside.

Another Tesla innovation we snuck a peek at last night was their newest sedan to be unveiled at the end of the month. It as in a word, gorgeous -- to my eye a combination of a Lexus and a Bentley which would cost about $50,000. It is fully electric with a 160 mile range. It has 3G internet inside. Eventually, says Musk, you will be able to call it on your cell phone to unlock it, turn on the lights and start the motor.
Yeah, I hear the user interface will have lots of cool features. Unfortunately, this author is a bit confused. Start the motor?? I suppose he wants to make sure it's "warmed up." He also doesn't seem to know the difference between SpaceX and Tesla.

Last edited:
Still, even with all the weirdness, the article has gotten me pumped for the Model S in a way that I can't explain :biggrin:

...Even though my dad probably wouldn't get a roadster AND the model S.... (My dad would normally never drive a sports car like the roadster but we wanted it ASAP in 2009, not 2011/2012)

Just a chance to work on my sales pitching skills then, I guess :biggrin::biggrin:

So the light does curve around the side and there's a nice crease that comes down the rear quarter and merges into the boot/trunk lid. Looks like LLN was on the money.

Well, only just the front to confirm now, I guess, but it's looking good.

TEG beat me to it.
Anyway, here's my screen grab.

Attachments

• Tesla Model S ABC tease.jpg
    Tesla Model S ABC tease.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited: