Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the jumbo size is the one main thing that keeps me from being a depositor on Model S.
If they had a 4/5 size version it would be more to my liking.

Same here.

It really is a big car in person. With just me driving it is overkill. I suppose Elon with 5 kids is making a car for himself.

Last edited:
For me the size is just fine. I guess there is no way to please everybody... ok no need for seats 6 and 7....

After looking at a bunch of cars in the same class (BMW M5 & 7-series, Mercedes E-class, etc), the Model S looks perfectly within the norm. The range is about 191-204, with Model S being 196, so it's right in the middle. After years of driving sports cars, I hadn't realized just how big a luxury sedan really was. The design just doesn't look that big, but it must be my personal bias that sporty looks must mean smaller.

In the US, EPA classification goes by interior volume, rather than length.

Here is the vehicle size classification from wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_size_class

Audi A8 is 199" long. E Class is 191". S Class, Cadillac DTS, Lincoln Towncar etc are much larger around 204". Model S seems to be somewhere between the Luxury Mid-Size and Luxury Full Size.

Anyway, too large for me. Hopefully, I'll have more choices when its time to switch from Leaf. Hoping for a rightsized Infinity or Megacity.

196 inches (just putting it into perspective with some cars that I know)

Thats the same length as a Mercedes CLS
Lexus LS460 is 199 inches
Lexus LS460L is 204 inches
Mercedes S550 is 205 inches

Since I already have a Lexus LS460, I know that the Model S will fit in my garage. :wink:

Damn, that's nearly 2 feet longer than my RX8. I knew it'd be longer, but that's a lot more than I expected. I'll have to see on the test drive how it feels, but my first instinct is that may be more car than I'm comfortable with.

Get rid of those stupid 2 rear facing seats!

Those are going to be an option, and they aren't stupid they are very practical for large families. If you don't like the size you can always wait for Tesla to come out with a smaller model.

The reps at the Detroit auto show said there is no plans for an awd on the Model S.

That will be a deal breaker for me to the extent of cancelling the reservation. Everyone who raced knows how much AWD improves the handling of a car. Remember how Audi Quattro won pretty much every race for several years after they introduced their Quattro model. I agree, that you can improve the traction with all electronic gadgets, but no car enters / exits the turns on full throttle as AWD car... especially if you have any amount of rain / snow on the ground.

That will be a deal breaker for me to the extent of cancelling the reservation. Everyone who raced knows how much AWD improves the handling of a car. Remember how Audi Quattro won pretty much every race for several years after they introduced their Quattro model. I agree, that you can improve the traction with all electronic gadgets, but no car enters / exits the turns on full throttle as AWD car... especially if you have any amount of rain / snow on the ground.

Are you planning on racing the Model S? I'm not sure if canceling your reservation just because it doesn't have AWD is the way to go since the Roadster apparently handles in the snow really well without it but everyone is different of course.

Loyd has it right. What else will there be? Buy the S and wait for the AWD EV to come out (from whomever). Driving a cool car in the meantime is what I'm doing with the Roadster until something more practical comes out.

Loyd has it right. What else will there be? Buy the S and wait for the AWD EV to come out (from whomever). Driving a cool car in the meantime is what I'm doing with the Roadster until something more practical comes out.

I love the Roadster and am glad I got it but I imagine I'll drive the Model S much more when it comes out.

Are you planning on racing the Model S? I'm not sure if canceling your reservation just because it doesn't have AWD is the way to go since the Roadster apparently handles in the snow really well without it but everyone is different of course.

I do race my cars. You guys are lucky you can afford several of these cool toys... but not everyone can... and for me AWD is that important (some people like blonds... some like AWD cars.. you know). Frankly speaking I may not be as concerned about AWD if I lived in TX though. As much as I fell in love with EV idea... perhaps for now I will just get a new 550i xDrive... and it will keep me happy for the next couple of years until I can get AWD EV car. I am going to see one in-person tomorrow in Chicago... want to hear it first hands though before I make a final decision.

I went to see Model S in Chicago today. Actually first time I saw the car in person. They had a prototype only (can't touch, can't seat)... but it looked drop dead gorgeous inside out. Unfortunately I forgot the camera, so only have lousy pictures from my BlackBerry. Not much news on a specs front, they don't know the options / packages / pricing and don't even know what signature series options / pricing would be like. They felt this information should be available by October, but were pretty comfortable AWD will not make it to Model S, but would be introduced in Model X.

It was interesting, that in my group of 5-7 people, who stood there interrogating Tesla stuff... pretty much everyone was asking about AWD option.

It was interesting, that in my group of 5-7 people, who stood there interrogating Tesla stuff... pretty much everyone was asking about AWD option.
Must be a cold weather state thing. I don't know that I've ever talked to anyone here in Oregon that cared about AWD unless they were skiers that regularly went into snow country. Granted, it's not something that comes up in conversation much, but no one that's ever shown me their new car bothered to tout it was AWD.

Last edited:
Being RWD also incites a lot more questions about an AWD option. Most people I know equate RWD to impossible winter driving. Chicago and Boston average the same yearly snowfall -- and AWD is a popular topic here (where I am), too.

From the annual Report:

The Model S drive inverter, for example, will be able to deliver approximately 1,000 amps of current at better efficiency and lower cost as compared to the Tesla Roadster drive inverter. In addition, we are also designing the drive inverter to integrate more directly with other components of the powertrain, reducing cost and size while improving packaging efficiency.

I would not wonder, if Model S as can accelerate better as announced.