Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S subsite and design studio being updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a 6-50. It made my electrical install about $50-80 cheaper, since the electrician could pull 10/2 Romex instead of 10/3.

Course, they forgot the 6-50 adapter when I picked up the car, and gave me a 14-50 instead. 6-50 arrived next day air, so now I have both. I love it when a plan comes together :tongue:

WARNING! uhhh I think your electrician got that all wrong! I'm not an electrical expert but this seems *VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY* dangerous!!!!

what size breaker did you electrician use?

the highest breaker you can put on a 10/2 romex cable is 30 amps (24amps max usable by model S...charging will be REALLY slow). And if he put a 50 or 100 amp breaker on it, and you try to charge, you'll burn your house down.....

Plus the fact that white/black will be hot/hot plus ground in this situation. I know neutral is not used on 6/50 but 'm not really sure if that's completely grounding safe either. I would seek a different electrician IMMEDIATELY before attempting to charge your model S to make sure that your house doesn't burn down.

WARNING! uhhh I think your electrician got that all wrong! I'm not an electrical expert but this seems *VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY* dangerous!!!!

what size breaker did you electrician use?

the highest breaker you can put on a 10/2 romex cable is 30 amps (24amps max usable by model S...charging will be REALLY slow). And if he put a 50 or 100 amp breaker on it, and you try to charge, you'll burn your house down.....

Plus the fact that white/black will be hot/hot plus ground in this situation. I know neutral is not used on 6/50 but 'm not really sure if that's completely grounding safe either. I would seek a different electrician IMMEDIATELY before attempting to charge your model S to make sure that your house doesn't burn down.

haha, sorry, i meant 6/2 instead of 6/3, not 10/2 instead of 10/3. I updated my original post.

The 6/2 Romex has a 10-gauge ground, must be why 10 stuck in my head.

Anyway, point being I saved ~$75 by using a 6-50 with no need for a neutral wire.

Back to not stating storage capacity

moof.PNG

Thanks again AnOutsider. Since we don't hear a lot of official communication about feature changes from Tesla, it's nice to have someone on TMC keeping us up to date.

Interesting that the photo of the 17" screen posted online is still an early version of software. See the "Apps" icon (downward pointing grey arrow)?

Back to not stating storage capacity

oh well. I never really got why it put an exact # of songs limit anyway. it completely depends on the size of the files. it should have been storage 'capacity' in terms of MB/GB. but it's not like we really need this feature anyway. Just get yourself a 64GB flash thumb drive and plug it straight in. same difference. or perhaps they should just ship everyone little "Tesla" thumb drives. That would work just as well.

oh well. I never really got why it put an exact # of songs limit anyway. it completely depends on the size of the files. it should have been storage 'capacity' in terms of MB/GB. but it's not like we really need this feature anyway. Just get yourself a 64GB flash thumb drive and plug it straight in. same difference. or perhaps they should just ship everyone little "Tesla" thumb drives. That would work just as well.

IIRC, they did used to post a specific hard drive size, but that too is now gone. I just hope it doesn't mean we won't see access to the hard drive. Both my USBs are usually in use, so I prefer to have onboard music.

Thanks AnOutsider. The question is whether this change will be permanent or temporary.

This is unfortunate news from my perspective. One of the deciding factors in my purchasing the Sound Package was the large song storage capacity. Interesting that the text under Sound Studio Package still says "...plus onboard music storage." I wonder if they missed striking that or if onboard storage is still planned.

Like the disappearing fog lights it really doesn't seem right to state the car will come with something it does not when all is said and done. Everyone ordering at the time a item is listed should be entitled to it. If Tesla wishes to change subsequently, OK, but not midstream.

I don't think Tesla is going to be removing onboard music storage...they've just taken any reference to number of songs out. As you mention, they still refer to onboard music storage. I think it's just because the software's not ready yet.

However, after this big "5.0" update comes out this summer, if onboard music storage is still not available, I could see potential for a class-action lawsuit. Basically that would mean Tesla sold and promised features that were not delivered, and it would probably mean some sort of refund to those who bought the car when onboard music storage and HD access was a promised feature.

The only issue there is that the MVPA basically says the car could change materially, without warning, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Damn, did I sign that?!? :scared:

Even if there's no legal recourse, it would be a VERY bad business decision. Not a good idea to piss off your core customer base, especially as a (somewhat less now) fragile company. And that's *really* why I think Tesla will come through.

Damn, did I sign that?!? :scared:

Even if there's no legal recourse, it would be a VERY bad business decision. Not a good idea to piss off your core customer base, especially as a (somewhat less now) fragile company. And that's *really* why I think Tesla will come through.

Tesla has felt like it is immune from bad reactions for these sorts of decisions from the beginning, and they've been correct. They've typically made up for the changes in ways that are well accepted by *most* people. I could give tens of examples of changes from what was advertised; material things as big as the elimination of an entire model of the vehicle to minor things like the charging adapter matching the color of the car. If people speculated that the 40 would never actually exist (I did), you probably would have made the same statement as you did above. But it's worked out fine for them, for a number of reasons.

One of those being that they're the only real game in town. Thankfully, they haven't gone all Apple-snob on us and do try to follow up to make things right. I think neroden had his MVPA redone, so it's likely more their legal dept being overzealous than anything else.