Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S subsite and design studio being updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More text updates

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

True, but it's just one of a series of single point of failure. The UMC could fail. The charge port itself could have a problem. The onboard charger could fail. $650 seems like a lot to pay for insurance for only 1 of multiple points of possible failure. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know whether the UMC is the likely point of failure or not.

Yep, but I can't order (well not practically anyway) a spare charge port and I have the dual chargers (my understanding is that, should one fail, the other will kick in). Also, the UMC is subject to all sorts of other potential issues that have nothing to do with spontaneous failure. For instance, what if I'm plugged in and someone decides that they'd love all that $$$ copper in there and they unplug one end, cut the cord and walk off with my UMC? Or maybe my 5 year old is unplugging the car and drops the thing and it breaks? I could plug the car in and put the UMC box on the ground next to the car and it could get run over/submerged in a puddle/etc.

Yes, I'm sure if it craps out within the warranty Tesla will replace it and they could probably even do it quickly but what if they were backordered for a while?

Anywho, it's not the right type of "insurance" for everyone, but it is for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it also means that you don't have to unplug it from the wall when going on trips. But really the spare in case of failure is the important reason.

Yep, and I'm the guy who would leave town and forget his UMC...

I don't see enough reason to buy a spare cable. I leave the UMC that came with the car at home plugged in the wall and keep the J1772 adaptor in the glove box for use at CargePoint stations.

I was just pondering this today. For everyday usage, I agree with you. But in my specific case, I have parents about 90 miles away who we visit often. They have installed a NEMA 14-50 for charging the Tesla when I bring it and I can see a spare UMC coming in handy. Especially if I need to head up there from work unexpectedly and have forgotten my main UMC at home.

In the end, I think it will depend strongly on each person's personal needs / use case scenarios.

I specifically did not click signature. I clicked the P85 model in both regions - the options/accessories/equipment choices make it seem like US and EU cars are from completely different factories :/ What's so hard about putting parking sensors in US cars?

yes, tire/wheel plan's were dropped.
Except (as I understand it) those (like me) that purchased "in time" will have their purchase/plan honored.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like they simplified things and you no longer get a choice on which adapter you received (probably makes things easier on them, and they likely found the 14-50 to be a common choice anyway)
View attachment 22206
Also, my recollection is that the 6-50 was only really suggested as a step towards an HPWC install. I don't recall anybody getting a 6-50 with the intent for it to stay as such.

Also, my recollection is that the 6-50 was only really suggested as a step towards an HPWC install. I don't recall anybody getting a 6-50 with the intent for it to stay as such.

I got a 6-50. It made my electrical install about $50-80 cheaper, since the electrician could pull 6/2 Romex instead of 6/3.

Course, they forgot the 6-50 adapter when I picked up the car, and gave me a 14-50 instead. 6-50 arrived next day air, so now I have both. I love it when a plan comes together :tongue:

Last edited: