Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Neither Telus nor Bell run a GSM network, hence no EDGE, no interference.

Interesting, because I DO get the Bbrruupp...brruupp noise on my cheap work computer speakers from time to time with my Telus phone.

An aside. If you are looking for data speed, you want LTE. With a strong signal I've experienced download speeds as high as 106 Mbps in BC. In Vancouver I've seen 53Mbps, both down AND UP! Makes me wonder how much longer I'll bother with a wire based ISP.

Agree except for the cost and ridiculously low bandwidth caps. My friend has a summer cottage and is suffering with 1 Mbps DSL (end of a long line) simply because the cost and caps of a Rogers, Bell or Telus fixed LTE solution are so out of range. He used to have a Rogers WiMax device that worked well, but was discontinued.

I am on an iPhone running on the Bell network. I have only noticed the noises when I was in a low signal area. Does the iPhone try EDGE regardless of carrier if signal is low or non-existent?
Not sure. With the exception of the CDMA version of the iPhone 4 (A1349), I think that every iPhone is EDGE capable. If you are roaming on a non-CDMA capable network (with a EDGE capable iPhone), I expect that the iPhone will drop back to EDGE from time to time, and as neither Bell nor Telus run a GSM network, I would think that the only time your iPhone would drop back to EDGE is if it is roaming. Again, not sure....

Last night drove a friend home to Saratoga, CA and as we drove away, noticed a rear window open. When I tried to close it, I heard a crunch! Drove a half mile to dinner. Had to slide the window up manually. Called Tesla Service and left a message since it was late. Tesla Service called just after 7:00am! The car is in the shop to replace both rear window actuators. I had the same issue with the other window over a year ago! They said that the actuators have since been redesigned and shouldn't have any issue again.

On another note, just yesterday my wife notices that the right front panel just above the Tesla emblem behind the front wheel had been keyed! Nearly a foot long deep scratch. The Tesla Service center called a body shop for a quote. They said it would be about $750 to repair.

In the mean time we are driving a loaner P+ with likely all options installed! Had my wife drive it to see how the parking sensors work. Would possibly upgrade our car to get them if we could. That's likely the only option I'm really am envious of.

Last night drove a friend home to Saratoga, CA and as we drove away, noticed a rear window open. When I tried to close it, I heard a crunch! Drove a half mile to dinner. Had to slide the window up manually. Called Tesla Service and left a message since it was late. Tesla Service called just after 7:00am! The car is in the shop to replace both rear window actuators. I had the same issue with the other window over a year ago! They said that the actuators have since been redesigned and shouldn't have any issue again.
This just happened on my car last week. They are going to valet me a loaner on Tuesday and get me all fixed up.

This just happened on my car last week. They are going to valet me a loaner on Tuesday and get me all fixed up.

Got mine back Saturday. All better! Had them do a few other things too. I was told that the loaner I drove was driven by none other than Elon just before be! They replaced both rear actuators so I shouldn't see the problem again! Hope your car comes back all better too.

Every once in a while when I lock my doors, the passenger side door pops open! Has anyone seen this happen before?

Yes. There are a number of threads on this. The new handles that move supposedly fix it at the cost of not having the LED light the area as much. (Why they didn't move the hole for the LED out a bit when they changed the design is a mystery.) I've heard that some who have the new handles also have this problem, so it may be a software issue. I've found that a reboot reduces the occurrence for a while. (Note: It's the driver's side on my car)

They just contacted me and I'll be going to the service center on Tuesday. I should correct, that it happens when I Unlock the door not when I lock it. It only happens once in a while but I may as well have them take a look. It sounds like they'll probably give me some of the newer handles. Were there any improvements made on the new handles? Why did they change them? Was it because they were popping open, or something else?

They just contacted me and I'll be going to the service center on Tuesday. I should correct, that it happens when I Unlock the door not when I lock it. It only happens once in a while but I may as well have them take a look. It sounds like they'll probably give me some of the newer handles. Were there any improvements made on the new handles? Why did they change them? Was it because they were popping open, or something else?

That's interesting. The original problem I had was that they popped open entirely on their own. Once when it happened to me I had been driving and parked. No less at a Tesla store. The handles wouldn't go in when I tried to lock the car so I checked and a door on the passenger side was open.
Others reported wild and wacko behaviour from handles not extending to extending when they shouldn't to not retracting at all.
The solution was to replace the handles once they thought they had fixed the hiccups.

Not sure. With the exception of the CDMA version of the iPhone 4 (A1349), I think that every iPhone is EDGE capable. If you are roaming on a non-CDMA capable network (with a EDGE capable iPhone), I expect that the iPhone will drop back to EDGE from time to time, and as neither Bell nor Telus run a GSM network, I would think that the only time your iPhone would drop back to EDGE is if it is roaming. Again, not sure....

Wrong, Bell and Telus are running a GSM network since the 2010 Olympics, sharing towers. They are also still running legacy CDMA for the older phones. Rogers on the other hand switched to GSM earlier and dumped their old TDMA service.

GSM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"It is important to note that GSM is a second-generation (2G) standard employing Time-Division Multiple-Access (TDMA) spectrum-sharing, issued by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI). The GSM standard does not include the 3G UMTS CDMA-based technology nor the 4G LTE OFDMA-based technology standards issued by the 3GPP.[11]"

Telus Mobility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"HSPA+
On November 5, 2009, TELUS launched HSPA+ services the day after Bell launched its such network.[16] This newer technology eliminates many of the limitations found with CDMA technology. The launch of this additional network allowed TELUS to become the third Canadian carrier to offer iPhone products. The HSPA+ network meant that TELUS saved money by avoiding the purchase of expensive CDMA-based devices while obtaining the more popular HSPA devices at a lower cost.

The combined single-channel HSPA+ network is available to 97% of the Canadian population, but there are cases where CDMA service is available where HSPA+ service is not. It provides download speeds of up to 21 Mbit/s, with typical speeds ranging between 4 and 6 Mbit/s. About 70% of the Canadian population are located in TELUS' dual-channel coverage areas, which doubles the maximum throughput to 42 Mbit/s with typical speeds of 7 to 14 Mbit/s.[17]

This network operates on the frequencies of 850/1900*MHz. Although Rogers Wireless and its brand Fido operate HSPA+ networks separate from TELUS and Bell, they transmit using the same frequencies. While TELUS and Bell use the HSPA+ standard as established by the GSM group, neither company operates a basic 2G GSM network."

EDGE is 2G GSM. Telus and Bell won the communications contract for the Vancouver Olympics. They didn't have a GSM network and needed to put in an HSPA+ network in time for those Olympics or all the European visitors would be roaming on Rogers.

Last edited:
I added a second Apple Airport Extreme Wireless Router to my home Network (second one is in Bridge mode) to improve signal throughout the house and in particular to the Garage where the Tesla sits. I've taken readings in the Garage with "WiFi Explorer" and the new Router is MUCH stronger in there than the old one, but for some reason my Car insists on connecting to the weaker Router rather than the stronger new one.

So here's the question: Is the car tied to the physical hardware address of the original Router in some way and defaults to that? If so, is there a way to reset it?

I have a wifi repeater in my house in addition to the wireless router. Each is named differently. All you need to do is click Forget This Network on the connection you don't want and it will not automatically connect to it in the future.

Mine is set up a little differently. We have a Roaming Network, so the SSID's are identical for both Routers. I did try Forgetting the Network and setting it up again, and was able to get it to connect to the stronger Router. Briefly... By the next morning it was back on the old one again. So it will connect to it, it just doesn't seem to be wanting to stay on it. Weird...