Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new s, looks like it has 2 slight issues, most likely it's SW related but still might need to get them checked. What is your take on these:
1) Proposed to run light show in the night but it does not start when I setup.
2) Sentry cams live checking works fine, and I am able to honk the horn, use lights but unable to talk through speaker and fart. (I am reluctant to open a service request saying my car does not fart 😀 )

Both issues seem to be related, to outside speaker? How should they behave?

I have a new s, looks like it has 2 slight issues, most likely it's SW related but still might need to get them checked. What is your take on these:
1) Proposed to run light show in the night but it does not start when I setup.
2) Sentry cams live checking works fine, and I am able to honk the horn, use lights but unable to talk through speaker and fart. (I am reluctant to open a service request saying my car does not fart 😀 )

Both issues seem to be related, to outside speaker? How should they behave?
You might already know this, but an update about a year ago made it so you can only use the exterior speaker in park.

Model S LR 2020r. have unusual issue, can't find any similar on the internet.
Autopilot computer fans running all the time, in short cycles and shorter (1 s) pauses (behind glove box).
Mayby its connected with a few times unfinished update and missing radar data causing unable cruise control and autopilot.
Does anybody have similar problem and fix it ?

Model S LR 2020r. have unusual issue, can't find any similar on the internet.
Autopilot computer fans running all the time, in short cycles and shorter (1 s) pauses (behind glove box).

Mayby its connected with a few times unfinished update and missing radar data causing unable cruise control and autopilot.
Does anybody have similar problem and fix it ?

Unfortunately not so unusual issue.

Some very early first batches of the FSD computer had overheating issues.

Watching your video, your Autopilot ECU overheated and has now failed. There are a few owners here (myself included) who went through this. If you open the Service Menu on your 2020 Model S Long Range you can see the Autopilot ECU has gone to Fallback mode which only Tesla can fix.

You can find out more here.

Reactions: aerodyne
Not sure where else to post this.

Anyone have any idea why my 23 MSP windshield wipers randomly go back and forth twice when I get in the car and put it in gear?

It doesn't do it every time, and it does it when the car is bone dry so it's not a moisture detection thing. 🤷‍♂️

Anyone have any idea why my 23 MSP windshield wipers randomly go back and forth twice when I get in the car and put it in gear?

It doesn't do it every time, and it does it when the car is bone dry so it's not a moisture detection thing. 🤷‍♂️
Mine only do it (cold in Chicago) when I preheat the car. Assume it’s do to some fog condensation in that camera box with the warm interior.

The automatic wipers are controlled by the camera/vision system. In recent software updates, it has gotten really wonky (at least for me). Pretty much every time I am driving, the wipers will activate at least once EXCEPT for when it's actually a downpour outside :) in which case they decide to not turn on.

I am hoping this eventually gets sorted because it's kind of strange to explain to passengers when it's a bright sunny day and all of a sudden, the wipers activate.

The automatic wipers are controlled by the camera/vision system. In recent software updates, it has gotten really wonky (at least for me). Pretty much every time I am driving, the wipers will activate at least once EXCEPT for when it's actually a downpour outside :) in which case they decide to not turn on.

I am hoping this eventually gets sorted because it's kind of strange to explain to passengers when it's a bright sunny day and all of a sudden, the wipers activate.

It’s interesting you say that. In addition to the ghost wipes, I too have gotten frustrated with the rain sensing which rarely works at it should. Like you they often will either not turn on when it starts raining, go too slow for the amount of rain and I have to push the button on the steering wheel to get extra wipes, or they go max speed in a drizzle. Very weird.

The auto wipers are trash. Raining? Never works. I end up engaging them manually more often.

Sunny? Turns on like it’s a monsoon. I find if the sun hits the rain sensor just right, they freak out.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: mrElbe and soulsea
One of the biggest silly decisions the Tesla team made was to get rid of the dedicated rain sensor. Second biggest mistake was to get rid of Sonar sensors and radar. This "Tesla Vision" is a major work in progress.
I agree with your two first statements but Tesla Vision is crap. Beta wipers has been 'out' for multiple years and is as useless as an ejection seat on a helicopter. Good luck on them making it work as good as USS in the next decade...

Reactions: mrElbe
I agree with your two first statements but Tesla Vision is crap. Beta wipers has been 'out' for multiple years and is as useless as an ejection seat on a helicopter. Good luck on them making it work as good as USS in the next decade...
Rain Sensing Wipers have not worked properly since day one release back in 2012. In fact, they have gotten worse as of a more recent update, where the first 3 clicks on the stalk don't even do anything anymore. Just, regular multiple interval setting wipers would be such a welcome right now. Dedicated Rain Sensor did work "better" but still did not properly work.

Reactions: TexasDuke