Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
of course you do know that Robertson screws are better than either... :)
I use to hate square drive until I discovered these:
IMG_2035.JPG

My steering wheel sometimes makes what sounds like a rubbing noise when I turn it. At first I thought it was coming from the tires, but it's coming from the steering column. Anyone else with this issue? I usually notice it in the morning when I first start driving. I plan to call the service center to have it checked. Model S Dec 2016 build.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
My steering wheel sometimes makes what sounds like a rubbing noise when I turn it. At first I thought it was coming from the tires, but it's coming from the steering column. Anyone else with this issue? I usually notice it in the morning when I first start driving. I plan to call the service center to have it checked. Model S Dec 2016 build.
I suggest you add this to your to-do list for your next SvC visit. I had a similar thing happen on a former MBZ -- it was resolved by disassembling at least part of the steering wheel column and applying a different type of "grease". The advisor told me that occasionally some columns don't get "lubed" sufficiently during initial manufacturing. I had no additional problems for the additional year+ I owned my MBZ until I sold it to buy my MS.

Reactions: azmodls
I called my local Tesla Service Center and they are sending out ranger service this week to fix it.

Reactions: BertL
I called my local Tesla Service Center and they are sending out ranger service this week to fix it.
Just to follow-up, Ranger found that the rubber seal at the base of the steering column was bent causing the rubbing noise. He re-seated and lubricated, no noise now :). I was very impressed with the responsive service and the technician.

Felt like sudden acceleration... Ok, so I know this is not possible, so I would like some ideas on what would have caused what happened to me this evening.

I was accelerating to pass a car and also go through an intersection. Light turns yellow, I hit the brake (going too fast and too close to intersection for regen to be sufficient). While braking, I went over a bump in the road, the car lurched forward and it felt Iike it sped up. My foot never left the brake. Stomach went up to throat, and I pressed down hard on the brake. Car slowed to a stop.

I noted the time and called Tesla support to open a case. Car is scheduled for annual service next week, but I will call Service Center tomorrow.

Only thing I can think of is - would going over bump have triggered ABS and if so, would that have felt like what I experienced?

Thanks for any ideas you have.

It's possible that going over the bump caused you to reduce brake pedal pressure.

Thanks. My expectation if that were the case is that I would have just continued at the same speed, not have felt the car speed up. But perhaps what I felt is not what happened. Just curious but if Auto pilot were engaged in a similar situation, one would assume that the car wouldn't have adjusted brake pressure at all. So, if it turns out you are right, then this may be an example of where autopilot would outperform a driver (me). Interesting.

Felt like sudden acceleration... Ok, so I know this is not possible, so I would like some ideas on what would have caused what happened to me this evening.

I was accelerating to pass a car and also go through an intersection. Light turns yellow, I hit the brake (going too fast and too close to intersection for regen to be sufficient). While braking, I went over a bump in the road, the car lurched forward and it felt Iike it sped up. My foot never left the brake. Stomach went up to throat, and I pressed down hard on the brake. Car slowed to a stop.

I noted the time and called Tesla support to open a case. Car is scheduled for annual service next week, but I will call Service Center tomorrow.

Only thing I can think of is - would going over bump have triggered ABS and if so, would that have felt like what I experienced?

This phenomena has happened while driving my Volt. I think it has something to do with regen turning off in that situation which makes you feel like the car is accelerating. I can reproduce it by braking while going over RR track crossing for example.

Reactions: bxr140
This phenomena has happened while driving my Volt. I think it has something to do with regen turning off in that situation which makes you feel like the car is accelerating. I can reproduce it by braking while going over RR track crossing for example.

Me too. there is a road I often drive that is a bit of a downhill slope with a bump and ends at a T-junction with traffic lights. Whenever I come down that hill, as I roll over the bump either under just re-gen, or re-gen with brakes, the car kinda lurches when the wheels hop over the bump in the road.

This is not a rant!! I believe this is a rare or unique problem. I am looking for advice to suggest to the service center of what has worked for others. If any on this forum have had a similar experience what did your service center tell you? What was the cause and how was it fixed?

Today I had a second software update failure. Tomorrow morning a tow truck will take the car to the service center. The car will not start nor obviously drive. I strongly believe this is not a endemic problem but rather an issue with some electronics on my car.

In both failures, the symptoms were identical but under two different base software 7.1 and now under 8.0. It’s rare enough I’ve not seen reports of this failure.

Details:
July 2016 installed 7.1 (2.28.42) upload fails. Within minutes of my calling Tesla support they upload to the car 7.1(2.28.60). Unfortunately, it also fails but allows me to drive home. The service center forces an update 2.28.90 which works great.

Feb 17, 2017 8.0(2.52.22) update to 8.0(17.6.15) fails. The failure, in every way, is identical to above.

Failure:
The first indication of failure is a notice on my phone saying, “software update failed”.
In each case the first attempt at starting the car works like normal. In the notification area of the instrument cluster area the messages are “Software Update Required unable to start car” alternating with “Car Needs Service unable to start car” but it runs. Once the car turns off there is no way to start again. Pushing the brake pedal has no affect.

None of the obvious things work. Reboot of the screens is not possible. The car does not allow the computer to reboot. You can hold the scroll buttons or the upper buttons down for minutes and nothing happens. At the suggestion of the Tesla engineer tried a power cycle by pushing the off button on the emergency brake section of the Control Page. That turns off all power with no way to turn any functioning systems on except by plugging in the charging wand. That turns on limited systems.

Tow mode is no longer available nor is the air suspension able to activate. However most of the controls not associated with moving the car works. I changed the setting for charging from 90% to full and that worked. This is just so I had some way to activate the screen by starting to charge when the tow truck comes in the morning. Hopefully there is a way to get the car into tow mode. Otherwise the car will have to be dragged onto the flatbed.

Any suggestions to pass on to the service center?

Tesla is truly astounding in how they manage customer issues. Last night with one phone call they did their best to solve the problem over the phone. It was escalated to higher levels of technical assistance without any urging on my part. Once they reached the point of the end of things they could try they scheduled a tow.
I just got a call from the tow truck driver followed by a call from Tesla just to make sure I was being taking care of. I also got a call from the service center letting me know that a loaner was available for my pickup at my convenience. I've never had a car company, really no other company, treat me so well. I'm no doubt will be a long time customer.

Mystery solved. Service Center called me today with the results of their log analysis. It WAS ABS kicking in that made the car feel like it was lurching forward. Regen stops when ABS kicks in. Thanks to everyone who offered their thoughts. On a side note, it was great that the Service Center reached out earlier than my appt next week to update me.