Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...I also wanted to support the development of PCs over Macs. I do the same for Tesla.

It's funny, partially because poking the mac vs PC bear is entertaining, but also because I and many people see tesla as the apple of the car world: Great lengths have gone into the form--it doesn't look or feel like a regular boring car...the function is very much 'it just works the way I want it to', with a heavy dose of 'and don't touch it!' from The Maker...passion in the company and in its followers can be near fanatical...

Reactions: Hrhkee
I just canceled my M3 reservation based on the service issues that so many Tesla Owners face. I have a good friend that was an earlier adopted (2012 purchase of MS) who recently referred to it as a POS. he is happy it has retained value well but does not intend to trade it for a new Tesla. That sealed my decision

Your good friend is in the very small minority.

Car Brands Ranked by Owner Satisfaction

It's funny, partially because poking the mac vs PC bear is entertaining, but also because I and many people see tesla as the apple of the car world: Great lengths have gone into the form--it doesn't look or feel like a regular boring car...the function is very much 'it just works the way I want it to', with a heavy dose of 'and don't touch it!' from The Maker...passion in the company and in its followers can be near fanatical...

Sorry for the old PC vs MAC reference. I'm an independent who try not to drink anyones cool aid so I'll be passionate about the mac of cars if people want to refer to Tesla that way while I see Tesla as the PC of cars. That old fight can get ridiculous fast. My point was we are all early adopters for whatever reason...we are passionate, willing to take risks and loving every minute of it.

I am also affected by CR changes in recommendation as they have pulled Tesla recommendations based on reliability. I am not going to leave 1000 to have a place in line unless I am 100% sure that it is the best choice and given the issues, and the new entrants I think getting my money back is the way to go
FYI Consumer Reports brought their recommendation back for Model S two months ago on the basis of improved reliability.

Tesla Model S re-earns Consumer Reports’ recommendation on improved reliability

Also worth noting that the first Model 3's are going to employees. Should help speed up the quality ramp to have them be the guinea pigs and shake out the early issues.

FYI Consumer Reports brought their recommendation back for Model S two months ago on the basis of improved reliability.

Tesla Model S re-earns Consumer Reports’ recommendation on improved reliability

Also worth noting that the first Model 3's are going to employees. Should help speed up the quality ramp to have them be the guinea pigs and shake out the early issues.

Having their own employees to test out the cars is one thing but have them to deal with wait and response time from the local dealer is another thing. They should have their employees to go through the service experience and see why it is so painful for some folks. Hope they can improve the "overall" experience as tesla owners.

Has anyone else had their radar randomly stop working recently? Over the last month it seems to be turning completely off. The camera can clearly see lanes but the radar will stop showing any cars and obviously cruise control turns off. 3 of the times it happened we did a reboot on the car and the radar came back. Yesterday on a mountain road with no real pull offs it stopped working again so we waited it out and it came back after about 30 minutes.

The only conditional commonalities have been it was raining pretty heavily 2 of the times but the other times it was perfectly clear 40 to 50 degree temps. I'm keeping notes of the times and conditions. Probably going to make an appointment to have it looked at.

Sept 2016 model S 90D

Has anyone else had their radar randomly stop working recently? Over the last month it seems to be turning completely off. The camera can clearly see lanes but the radar will stop showing any cars and obviously cruise control turns off. 3 of the times it happened we did a reboot on the car and the radar came back. Yesterday on a mountain road with no real pull offs it stopped working again so we waited it out and it came back after about 30 minutes.

The only conditional commonalities have been it was raining pretty heavily 2 of the times but the other times it was perfectly clear 40 to 50 degree temps. I'm keeping notes of the times and conditions. Probably going to make an appointment to have it looked at.

Sept 2016 model S 90D

The only suggestion I can make is to make sure the radar unit is completely clean. Any dirt or debris on it can cause what you are experiencing.

I just canceled my M3 reservation based on the service issues that so many Tesla Owners face. I have a good friend that was an earlier adopted (2012 purchase of MS) who recently referred to it as a POS. he is happy it has retained value well but does not intend to trade it for a new Tesla. That sealed my decision

Here's hoping that you were in front of me in line so I can move up in the queue and (hopefully) receive my car sooner! :)

Been having a lot of problems with my Audio System's Streaming lately. Lot's of "Loading Error" messages from Slacker and for some reason it decides to randomly delete some of my "Favorites" and I have to keep re adding them back in... It is apparently not a fan of Volbeat.... I have an older Model S with the original 3G system. It has been raining a lot here lately if that matters... . Anyone else having similar problems? Any fix for it?

Been having a lot of problems with my Audio System's Streaming lately. Lot's of "Loading Error" messages from Slacker and for some reason it decides to randomly delete some of my "Favorites" and I have to keep re adding them back in... It is apparently not a fan of Volbeat.... I have an older Model S with the original 3G system. It has been raining a lot here lately if that matters... . Anyone else having similar problems? Any fix for it?
I assume you've tried a full reboot (Hold both control wheels & the brake down until Tesla T appears on the CID). While I don't use Slacker, I am a big USB user, and the reboot has sometimes helped my situation to perhaps clear up some sort of memory corruption or firmware bug that happens only in certain situations. The other trick that works with USB (maybe Slacker too -- IDK?) is when you get "loading error", switch to another media source like say FM, then back, and I can then reselect the track and it plays again. YMMV, but perhaps the USB tricks will help with Slacker too. Good luck.

I rebooted both screens simultaneously today and have not had a loading error in several hours of playing now. Not sure yet if it is a permanent fix. I also has a phone issue, where the phone paired and then dialed my own number and locked up. Reboot of the main screen did not help. I rebooted both screens with my phone off, then turned the phone on, and that problem and the loading error quit.

Still having Loading errors...... I'll call support. The reboot did fix the phone problem however.

edit.......
According the the technician I reported this to, it is not yet a reported issue with the software release. It is now reported and they will followup with me when they have an answer.

Firmware 2.52.22

Last edited:
Still having Loading errors...... I'll call support. The reboot did fix the phone problem however.

edit.......
According the the technician I reported this to, it is not yet a reported issue with the software release. It is now reported and they will followup with me when they have an answer.

Firmware 2.52.22
I am also having this issue. Tesla pulled a fuse and it seemed to help for a bit. They suggested rebooting also -- but this seems to be on a temporary fix as it keeps returning.

Yeah I didn't get that either since Apple is around 10% of computers and not that largest smart phone producer either (just the most profitable). Not sure how you can 'support the PC market' when it's virtually impossible not to do so. I always thought it was like arguing that Philips head was better than flat head screwdrivers...

Sorry for the old PC vs MAC reference. I'm an independent who try not to drink anyone's Kool aid so I'll be passionate about the mac of cars if people want to refer to Tesla that way while I see Tesla as the PC of cars. That old fight can get ridiculous fast. My point was we are all early adopters for whatever reason...we are passionate, willing to take risks and loving every minute of it.

Not sure I can follow that either. Tesla is the PC of cars would mean they have consistently dominated the market with 80%+ market percentile for like 30 years and not really innovating much; a lot of 'me too' competition with commodity pricing being a major differentiation. I don't see Tesla like that at all.

It'll be cool when we get there... but not there yet.

Sorry for the old PC vs MAC reference. I'm an independent who try not to drink anyones cool aid so I'll be passionate about the mac of cars if people want to refer to Tesla that way while I see Tesla as the PC of cars. That old fight can get ridiculous fast. My point was we are all early adopters for whatever reason...we are passionate, willing to take risks and loving every minute of it.
No need to be sorry.
Here are some Plug In America entertaining vidoes from a few years ago that people who haven't seen might find entertaining
Drive Electric PSAs - YouTube

Reactions: Hrhkee

I have had the same issues with my classic pre AP S85 out here in colorado. This is either a slacker issue or an issue with the software in the car, hopefully it will work consistantly and correctly again in a future update.

Reactions: hpartsch