Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you very much for these informations. I have already opened my mcu to extract the tegra board to send it to change the emmc, a second time because my new emmc get dead after 2 months, and it will be a third time to change the sd card.... I am afraid to break something after all these dissassembles... Each time I opened the mcu and closed it and put it again in place to drive the car the time to get my tegra board from UPS or FEDEX...

Not that I'm aware of, but others are more knowledgeable on that subject than I.

Disassembly to change the gateway SD card is a bit more invasive than the Tegra because the board the Tegra mounts to needs to be removed as well. Overall, it's not terribly difficult though, especially if you've already done the Tegra.

Well, while my 2013 S85 is at the SC waiting on a replacement HV pack from an abrupt failure (90k miles) now my 2014 S85 (108,450mi) is making scary crackling clacking sounds from the DU while driving from a stop or going back and forth from driving to regen and back again and an electric turbine wine that is noticeably more than it has been before. The louder sounds are like 2 large rocks smacking together and the lesser sounds are closer to the sound the battery contactors make when opening and closing but also with a crackeling almost electrical crackeling sound. Hoping it holds out till the other car is fixed..odds should be long that both are down at the same time, but then again with the year this has been who knows.

CV joints going bad maybe?

I did extensive test driving the other day to isolate what it was, was not any suspension parts or joints as I went over speedbumps and dips in a large parking lot at varying speeds and no extra sounds, nothing when turning only sound comes from changing the power of the motor by 15-20kw both in drive and regen, driving reverse I did not hear the same sounds interestingly enough.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
I did extensive test driving the other day to isolate what it was, was not any suspension parts or joints as I went over speedbumps and dips in a large parking lot at varying speeds and no extra sounds, nothing when turning only sound comes from changing the power of the motor by 15-20kw both in drive and regen, driving reverse I did not hear the same sounds interestingly enough.

Correction it does the same when driving in reverse as I tested that more today and also as I had a passanger listening with me with windows down ac and radio off it is apparently louder from the drivers seat than the front passanger seat, so maybe the driver side rear motor half shaft? possibly not the motor directly, still plan to drop it off with them when the other one is ready for pickup. Today was not quite so loud of a clacking more like a crunchy smaller clack and crackle sound in parking lot test driving.

Worth to check whether it’s axle not not properly tightened, like in this discussion:

Clicking noise when accelerating

Nice hope a loose axle nut is all it is. I already dropped the car at the SC last weekend when I picked up my other one so already been sitting at the SC all this week, not been looked at yet as they are busy. Had I found that thread sooner I would have tried to check that myself but oh well.

I have a new long range plus. (~2,500 miles). Yesterday as I was driving on the freeway multiple notifications and warnings started to pop up. Autopilot, regen, power steering, emergency brake etc etc. A little unnerving but this is my second S so I’ve been trained to expect the unexpected. Came home, rebooted. Warnings/notifications went away. Went to test the car today. This time even more warnings. Couldn’t shift. All of a sudden car was in neutral! Stepped out. Not responding to any controls or key fob. Called Tesla ‘assistance’ but couldn’t help (surprise there). Scheduled car for service of course but basically undrivable. What is going on? Any similar experiences? Total software crash?

I have a new long range plus. (~2,500 miles). Yesterday as I was driving on the freeway multiple notifications and warnings started to pop up. Autopilot, regen, power steering, emergency brake etc etc. A little unnerving but this is my second S so I’ve been trained to expect the unexpected. Came home, rebooted. Warnings/notifications went away. Went to test the car today. This time even more warnings. Couldn’t shift. All of a sudden car was in neutral! Stepped out. Not responding to any controls or key fob. Called Tesla ‘assistance’ but couldn’t help (surprise there). Scheduled car for service of course but basically undrivable. What is going on? Any similar experiences? Total software crash?
Did you try a hard reboot?

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Hello All, need some help; so... I broke a wheel; tire and wheel were replaced with new. TPMS sensor would not reset, tire company suggested the responsibility was theirs and replaced the sensor, THREE TIMES.
Last sensor was researched by the company, special order and installed. Alas, still not reading by the vehicle.
2014 MS P85.
I have tried reset, reboot, multiple times without change.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Nice hope a loose axle nut is all it is. I already dropped the car at the SC last weekend when I picked up my other one so already been sitting at the SC all this week, not been looked at yet as they are busy. Had I found that thread sooner I would have tried to check that myself but oh well.

And the verdict is, it was the hubs on both sides of the drive unit so halfshafts were both lubricated and nuts/washers replaced. Can tell the difference with driving after the maintenance, did not realize the drive/regen was as sloppy as it was, nice and tight now.

My 12v also popped a warning while it was there so that was replaced as well. Lasted since March 2018

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
my gateway problem is solved. Here are some interessing things to know. My MCU 1.0 did not have any opeing to access to the sdcard slot.
TIP : cut the frame to access to the SD card slot:
20201021.jpg

LD0001646557_2.jpg

I bought a transcend sdhc 4GB high quality industrial ratings.
Unfortunately the transcend sd card is not compatible, no updates possible with a big error message on the MCU, I had to buy a verbatim 16GB. (it seems that kingston 16 GB are also good)
Now it works flawlessly

• Informative
Reactions: mmccord and JRP3
I had similar symptoms with my 2012 MS. Turned out to be a HV battery issue. Hope they find it for you

Well folks, my 2013 S85 had the HV and 12v batteries replaced due to failure 10/2/2020 @ 90,025mi HV pack was replaced with a remanufactured one.

Today, 544 miles on the car since then, the refurb HV battery seems to be done as well, on a flatbed back to the service center, will again be without the car a while it would seem. Sad/disappointing frustrating, asked for a new not refurbished one this time but not holding my breath.

Screenshot_20201022-164510_Gallery.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18