Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lost all autopilot and cruise control capabilities!

Looks like a potential radar sensor issue, I tried a hard reboot but it looks like there may be a sensor obstruction somewhere on the passenger sensor. I noticed the one in front of the passenger wheelwell is semi-exposed? Could debris get behind that area and give a false obstruction? I'm 200 miles away from home and can't even put cruise control on!

(removed pictures)
My Sep'21 delivered model S has the same issue. Since two months ago, the car has lost the auto pilot function. Basically the screen doesn't show any cars around so both auto pilot and cruise control are not available.

SA told us it's the radar issue. I am still waiting the parts to come in for the fix. It really sucks that out of five months of the ownership, the key function make me still purchase another Tesla doesn't work for two months.

(Another complain, please ignore if you don't feel the same) I really hope other car manufactures can catch up ASAP so we don't need to compromise the quality.

New 2022 LR owner here. It seems my Tesla would do random popping noise at times in my garage, with or without charger plugged in. It's hard to describe, but it's a snappy double sound, like "da da". Sounded like a cross b/w a latch releasing and circuit breaker tripping. Is this normal behavior?

New 2022 LR owner here. It seems my Tesla would do random popping noise at times in my garage, with or without charger plugged in. It's hard to describe, but it's a snappy double sound, like "da da". Sounded like a cross b/w a latch releasing and circuit breaker tripping. Is this normal behavior?
Did it happen to correspond with you passing by the car and it unlocking / presenting the handles? If so, it is normal. It is the DC convertor (I believe) triggering and is totally normal.

On the second day of MS LR ownership, I got a bunch of error messages telling me automatic emergency braking, regenerative braking, brake hold, traction control, and adaptive ride control were all disabled. The car was drivable, but the lack of brake hold made stopping on a hill a bit harrowing. The driver’s display showed the car at an angle the entire ride home too.

After I got home, I went back out to the car a few minutes later to take pictures of the error messages. The messages were there, but when I put the car in drive they went away. Haven’t taken the car back out yet (this was last night). I have an appointment with service on Saturday and will see if I can reproduce the errors before then. View attachment 768984
I had the same issues with my 3 month old LR yesterday after last software update and they DIDN'T CLEAR. It is in the service center. Still waiting to see what happened.

I had the same issues with my 3 month old LR yesterday after last software update and they DIDN'T CLEAR. It is in the service center. Still waiting to see what happened.
That sucks. I’ve driven it a few more times and the errors haven’t returned. I’m too nervous to drive long distances though until it gets checked out. Here’s hoping you get your car back soon.

That is pretty false. I can hold my charge cable near the middle of the trunk as I unwind the cable, press the button and the port opens. I did have some intermittent issues a few weeks / month ago where it was not opening regularly and actually first started at a Supercharger. But a few software updates and reboots late and it seems resolved or was never an issue to begin with.

Admittedly, I rarely prepare to charge while the car is asleep and rather plug-in right when I get home. But there is a long history of people having issues with the charge port not opening with the HPWC handles and thus getting the charge port wiring hardness replaced. Keep pushing this.
After a couple of more weeks, the difference seems to be whether the car is awake or not. I apparently have a sleepy-headed MSLR. It takes it a while to wake up...and my wall mount supercharger usually doesn't do the trick...takes a key or having my phone on. When awake, it works pretty well. Not as responsive as my 2017 S, but not bad. I'll have to test at Superchargers, but I'm thinking that one is good to go.

Update on the shudder/judder. First, I feel like this should start with an announcement like an AA meeting. "Hi, I'm Charles, and I'm a Tesla moron." [crowd responds "Hi Charles"]. So...I'm a really smart guy, a car junkie, and know everything (or so I tell my wife). The shudder I was feeling occasionally when changing lanes in my 2022 MSLR could not POSSIBLY be programmed into the system. I set an appointment...they emailed and said..."Hey, that's a feature not a bug." and I responded that it most certainly wasn't. They then politely suggested I try using the turn indicators and see if it went away. Of course...it did. In one fell swoop I learned three things...1) I know know crap about haptics, 2) I didn't read the manual, and 3) I'm a shitty driver who rarely uses his turn signals. Oh well.

After a couple of more weeks, the difference seems to be whether the car is awake or not. I apparently have a sleepy-headed MSLR. It takes it a while to wake up...and my wall mount supercharger usually doesn't do the trick...takes a key or having my phone on. When awake, it works pretty well. Not as responsive as my 2017 S, but not bad. I'll have to test at Superchargers, but I'm thinking that one is good to go.
The other thing you can do is tap the charge port. That should wake the car and open the charge port. Not the best solution, since the button on the high powered wall charger should work, but another option.
Update on the shudder/judder. First, I feel like this should start with an announcement like an AA meeting. "Hi, I'm Charles, and I'm a Tesla moron." [crowd responds "Hi Charles"]. So...I'm a really smart guy, a car junkie, and know everything (or so I tell my wife). The shudder I was feeling occasionally when changing lanes in my 2022 MSLR could not POSSIBLY be programmed into the system. I set an appointment...they emailed and said..."Hey, that's a feature not a bug." and I responded that it most certainly wasn't. They then politely suggested I try using the turn indicators and see if it went away. Of course...it did. In one fell swoop I learned three things...1) I know know crap about haptics, 2) I didn't read the manual, and 3) I'm a shitty driver who rarely uses his turn signals. Oh well.
iu

It’s not funny, I even insisted the mechanic to take test drive with me after I arrived to the SeC. It first did not appeared to be an issue at all as the technician drove intelligently, as soon as I tried to wiggle with the wheel (apparently the car came close to the road marking during me holding the wheel and mechanic driving) we both noticed that feature named “Lane Departure Warning”…

• Funny
Reactions: JediJD and cwanja
That is normal behavior. The sound is the contactors inside the HV battery closing so that the DC/DC converter can be powered on the charge the 12v battery whenever it gets below a certain voltage. It will typically do this several times a day, especially if sentry mode is on.

Car is back. There is a new service bulletin for the issue. They needed to retrofit HCU Wake-up wire.
Got the car back a couple of days ago. They couldn’t recreate the issue, but noticed my left front wheel and steering column were both out of alignment. They said that can cause an issue with the air suspension, which in turn can cause a series of errors to occur.

I have not seen anyone post much about newer models or plaid issues. Just want to let everyone know this is still a common problem with Tesla.
I have a 2022 Plaid. Been driving it for 1.5 month trouble free until the car lost connectivity to the app for about 6 days. Following that the screen went black for both front. I did the soft reboot and then the hard reboot. Nothing worked and drove the car to the service center with the interior having no function at all. It was -4C degree. That was fun. It took 2 full days to get the the MCU-Z (1637790-S0-D) and replaced. Will monitor the new ecu how long it will hold up.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
On my instrument panel some cars around me, especially larger trucks, vans, and pickups do not show correctly. Sometimes they will appear as semi trucks. They also tend to glitch, and jump around, disappear then reappear. It seams the rear facing camera has issues detecting the category of the car in the blind spot, probably due to the bad angle. Most cars don't do this though. Is this normal? Also, I only see the cars in the lanes right next to me being detected, the lanes further away are always empty.

On my instrument panel some cars around me, especially larger trucks, vans, and pickups do not show correctly. Sometimes they will appear as semi trucks. They also tend to glitch, and jump around, disappear then reappear. It seams the rear facing camera has issues detecting the category of the car in the blind spot, probably due to the bad angle. Most cars don't do this though. Is this normal? Also, I only see the cars in the lanes right next to me being detected, the lanes further away are always empty.
Totally normal. It often picks up trucks as vans for me or trucks as semis. Do some YouTube or Reddit searching for "dance Tesla cars" and you will see how bad it used to be.

Reactions: Huncowboy
Totally normal. It often picks up trucks as vans for me or trucks as semis. Do some YouTube or Reddit searching for "dance Tesla cars" and you will see how bad it used to be.
Thanks! I figured since it is in beta this might be the case. I can see how the camera might have a harder time distinguishing between a pickup or a semi when it can only see the front of it. Still, this is such a great feature. I feel my overall situational awareness is higher when it comes to blind spots around the car.

Reactions: cwanja
2018 MS 100D when I select very high on my air suspension, at the end you suddenly hear like theres an ICE engine in the front for 1-2 minutes. This happens especially when leveling out or at auto-raising locations. Also noticed that at 100-130 mph the steering doesn't feel confident at all. I suspect bad air suspension motor or something loose, and bad alignment.

I'm constantly getting Autopilot Safety/Convenience Features Unavailable Error APP_w048 APP_w207 along with the annoying chime warning. I have tried everything found in this forum related to attempting to fix the issue. Service is scheduled for 4/4/2022.

Anyone else with early 2022 build seen the issue?

Also, any tricks for temporarily turning off the alarm chime. It is constantly alarming while I'm driving and just sitting still with car in park.

Reactions: Rmp_
Delivery issues:
1. Carpet was misfit against center console. Fixed by mobile
2. Driver's side door gasket came out when I opened the door for the first time. Fixed by me
3. Center console door wouldn't latch open. Fixed by SC after nearly two months to get parts (replaced entire center console)
4. Center console shift bar doesn't work. Going to visit SC tomorrow
5. Charge port door doesn't open with any charging handle (home or charger or supercharger). Works fine with app or with controls on dash display. Going to visit SC tomorrow
6. See previous note on rear driver's side rattle. Still present.
7. Tiny window on passenger's door was loose and leaking. Fixed by SC.

What's going to happen when the warranty period expires?
Updates:
4. They replaced the phone-charging/touch-shift-bar as it's one unit. Works now
5. They replaced the entire charge port unit and claimed they tested it. I got home and they didn't. Went back last week, dropped it off, and they said it was an adjustment and that they tested it. I took the SA outside and asked him to prove that it works. Didn't. Kept the car overnight and they replaced the entire charge-port unit. Works (for now).
6. Driver's side rattle was finally fixed: persistent (good!) tech ended up opening all sorts of things in the rear and discovered that there was a long segment of wiring that was not correctly secured to the frame. Once done, issue resolved.

And now we have:
8. iPhone 12/13's are unreliable for keyless entry. Work sometimes and not others. Please don't tell me to reboot/reinstall/toggle-bluetooth/etc. I've done >all< that. SA finally said this was a known problem and was in Apple's court. Use the fob.
9. Frunk on wife's car is extremely difficult to get completely closed. And when it's not closed, YOU CAN'T DRIVE THE CAR. Took it in and they said they "loosened it up". Nope. Going back on 3/22.

8. iPhone 12/13's are unreliable for keyless entry. Work sometimes and not others. Please don't tell me to reboot/reinstall/toggle-bluetooth/etc. I've done >all< that. SA finally said this was a known problem and was in Apple's court. Use the fob.
Interesting. Zero issues here with an iPhone 13 since delivery day in November. So it might be Tesla kicking the can.