Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got back from a short hike with my daughter in my 2022 MSLR. My husband called while we were on the way and I answered on my iPhone rather than through the car speakers. Once I hung up with him, the car started making this noise that I can only equate to the sound of someone blowing into a microphone. for sure coming from the speakers and it was deafening! I pulled over, did a reset and it seemed to fix it. We stopped for a quick lunch, got back in the car and it started up again. It is LOUD. turning down the speaker does nothing --- but I cracked the window and it stopped. rolled it back up again - deafening wind noise again -- rolled the window down -- it stopped. What in the heck is going on?! Anyone???

Last edited:
Reactions: RRMussa
I also just got a 22 MSLR. My car has not done that. However, I am going to make a guess that it is related to the active noise reduction feature, which uses microphones in the seats (probably near the head rests) make use of this feature, so that it can inject sound through the speakers out of phase with the sounds detected by the mics. Knowing how a system like this works, I am guessing that there is a software bug that was triggered by a sequence that you enacted. Try turning off the noise reduction feature and see if the problem goes away. (you can turn off noise reduction in the audio settings panel). Awkwardly, in order to find the audio settings you have to be listening to an audio source.
Media settings icon
When displaying an audio source screen, press the settings icon located in the search bar to access audio settings.

I also just got a 22 MSLR. My car has not done that. However, I am going to make a guess that it is related to the active noise reduction feature, which uses microphones in the seats (probably near the head rests) make use of this feature, so that it can inject sound through the speakers out of phase with the sounds detected by the mics. Knowing how a system like this works, I am guessing that there is a software bug that was triggered by a sequence that you enacted. Try turning off the noise reduction feature and see if the problem goes away. (you can turn off noise reduction in the audio settings panel). Awkwardly, in order to find the audio settings you have to be listening to an audio source.
Media settings icon
When displaying an audio source screen, press the settings icon located in the search bar to access audio settings.
Thank you so much! Overnight it seemed to reset itself and it hasn't done it again. I was figuring the noise reduction system would be the culprit based on it stopping when I opened the windows. Hopefully no one else has to hear that noise.

A little over a week with my 2022 SLR.
Both front doors do not close "easy" and often do not fully close. Need to add a little force to fully close them, makes sense as I have read door misalignment is common. Annoying, thats all.
Service coming next week to address issue.

Both front doors do not close "easy" and often do not fully close. Need to add a little force to fully close them, makes sense as I have read door misalignment is common. Annoying, thats all.

I suggest you try putting a hand on the lower door seals, they may not be fully seated. I was able to fix this problem on a demo car at a Store to the amazement of the sales personnel.

It seems things not done by a robot in Fremont CA are prone to these type of problems.

I've tried searching the net for an answer but didn't have much luck.

I was driving my 2018 Model S today when I noticed a bad odor (not sulfer, cannot describe it, maybe electrical). About 1 mile later, white smoke was steadily coming out of what appeared to be the front AC vents or dash. I immediately pulled over (into a fire department parking lot, what luck). I was left with two terrible options: alert the firemen who would surely start hacking the car apart and cutting cables or...wait for it to catch fire then refer back to option 1.

The car was off and parked with the doors and frunk / trunk open. I quickly pulled the frunk cover off when I parked but did not see any smoke coming from there or anywhere else outside the car. As I was considering my options, I noticed the smoke had stopped pouring out of the dash. I turned on the AC and it smelled fine, other than the lingering smoke smell.

I called Tesla but they want me to tow the car two hours to the nearest service center. This was "after hours" so none of the service centers were open. Any ideas what's going on with the car?

2018 Model S
~80k miles
Charge was about 65%, usually capped at 75%.
Was 5 miles into a 7 mile trip and had driven the car about the same distance twice already that day.
Speeds averaged 35MPH with no crazy driving.
AC was off at the time.
I did not get any warnings at all, even when the car was smoking. Also limped it to another parking lot about 25 minutes later and still no errors or codes. Also no smoke but I only limped it for about 45 seconds total.

Thanks

I've tried searching the net for an answer but didn't have much luck.

I was driving my 2018 Model S today when I noticed a bad odor (not sulfer, cannot describe it, maybe electrical). About 1 mile later, white smoke was steadily coming out of what appeared to be the front AC vents or dash. I immediately pulled over (into a fire department parking lot, what luck). I was left with two terrible options: alert the firemen who would surely start hacking the car apart and cutting cables or...wait for it to catch fire then refer back to option 1.

The car was off and parked with the doors and frunk / trunk open. I quickly pulled the frunk cover off when I parked but did not see any smoke coming from there or anywhere else outside the car. As I was considering my options, I noticed the smoke had stopped pouring out of the dash. I turned on the AC and it smelled fine, other than the lingering smoke smell.

I called Tesla but they want me to tow the car two hours to the nearest service center. This was "after hours" so none of the service centers were open. Any ideas what's going on with the car?

2018 Model S
~80k miles
Charge was about 65%, usually capped at 75%.
Was 5 miles into a 7 mile trip and had driven the car about the same distance twice already that day.
Speeds averaged 35MPH with no crazy driving.
AC was off at the time.
I did not get any warnings at all, even when the car was smoking. Also limped it to another parking lot about 25 minutes later and still no errors or codes. Also no smoke but I only limped it for about 45 seconds total.

Thanks
Problem identified. It was a pretty serious issue but I'm unable to find any other documented cases online. I'll be contacting Tesla before posting a summary. Appears to be a manufacturing defect / design flaw.

Ever since updating to 2022.8.3 a few days ago, noticed that when I exit my car (2022 LR S) now, its as if the car doesnt recognize the fact that Ive..exited the car. At night, headlights/tail ligts remain on, audio still is playing inside, dash and MCU still lit, door handles remain out. Even after I've walked away into the house. (When I check on the car several mins later, the car has finally shut off/door handles have retracted). Ive done a scroll wheel reboot, with no improvement.

This was not the behavior before this upgrade.

Anyone else experience this?

Mine was same(as were others): Some feel it takes a series of closings to get the fresh rubber seals to compress a bit. I can confirm that was the case with mine, as mine now closes normally.

Mine was same(as were others): Some feel it takes a series of closings to get the fresh rubber seals to compress a bit. I can confirm that was the case with mine, as mine now closes normally.
Thats promising, thanks. I still have service coming to my house on Monday to check. Any other things you have noticed?

I am surprised I have not "noticed" any other issues with mine. Still loving it.

Thats promising, thanks. I still have service coming to my house on Monday to check. Any other things you have noticed?

I am surprised I have not "noticed" any other issues with mine. Still loving it.
Have had my LR for 6 weeks now. Only other things were fairly minor. Frunk weatherstripping is poking up a bit more on passenger than driver side. Hasnt bothered me much so I havent even really examined it closely. (I never use the frunk). Still waiting on my rear hatch privacy cover to arrive (backordered here in Virginia). Oh, Spotify. If Spotify is playing and I leave the car, get back? It no longer resumes where it left off. In fact, it always says "select media source". Didnt used to do that. Many here have reported it. Only way to fix it back is to select another media source, then go back to spotify. And the fix only lasts for that drive. Guessing that will be fixed in a future software update.

Got mine before the $20k price increases. At a grand total (taxes and all) of like, $85k, this was a major value/bargain. Even though it isnt a plaid, it still has more acceleration than I can comfortably use. Flooring it anywhere below say, 100mph, gets to be uncomfortable on my neck.

Have had my LR for 6 weeks now. Only other things were fairly minor. Frunk weatherstripping is poking up a bit more on passenger than driver side. Hasnt bothered me much so I havent even really examined it closely. (I never use the frunk). Still waiting on my rear hatch privacy cover to arrive (backordered here in Virginia). Oh, Spotify. If Spotify is playing and I leave the car, get back? It no longer resumes where it left off. In fact, it always says "select media source". Didnt used to do that. Many here have reported it. Only way to fix it back is to select another media source, then go back to spotify. And the fix only lasts for that drive. Guessing that will be fixed in a future software update.

Got mine before the $20k price increases. At a grand total (taxes and all) of like, $85k, this was a major value/bargain. Even though it isnt a plaid, it still has more acceleration than I can comfortably use. Flooring it anywhere below say, 100mph, gets to be uncomfortable on my neck.
I got lucky, got mine from deposit to delivery in exactly 9 days. Salesperson happened to try and search inventory and found one rejected (apparently for color). Unfortunately... after price increase.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I got lucky, got mine from deposit to delivery in exactly 9 days. Salesperson happened to try and search inventory and found one rejected (apparently for color). Unfortunately... after price increase.
I don't trust any rejects anymore. One I saw was missing a spoiler!

After six plus months, what's a few more weeks? Plus I expect a MS price increase before the end of Q2 this year

This is about warranty replacement of the VCM to Upgrade 8GB eMMC. I don't know what that means, but they're willing to do it for free as a recall item. I've checked the threads I could find and don't yet have a satisfactory answer. I'm old and have owned a load of cars -- my experience has often been that when dashboards are removed and replaced, nothing is ever the same again. Our 2016 Model S is working just fine. Should I be on the "it ain't broke so let's not fix it" trail, or should I jump at the chance for some new hardware? Also, what's this I hear about the car being on the 3G network? Isn't that going bye-bye soon? Is there an upgrade to LTE or 5G?
Thanks in advance for any help with skulling this out.
Jim
I just had this upgrade to my 2015 MS. My advice is 'BE CAREFUL'! If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is good advice.
This is about warranty replacement of the VCM to Upgrade 8GB eMMC. I don't know what that means, but they're willing to do it for free as a recall item. I've checked the threads I could find and don't yet have a satisfactory answer. I'm old and have owned a load of cars -- my experience has often been that when dashboards are removed and replaced, nothing is ever the same again. Our 2016 Model S is working just fine. Should I be on the "it ain't broke so let's not fix it" trail, or should I jump at the chance for some new hardware? Also, what's this I hear about the car being on the 3G network? Isn't that going bye-bye soon? Is there an upgrade to LTE or 5G?
Thanks in advance for any help with skulling this out.
Jim
I just had this upgrade to my 2015 MS. Free so seemed a good idea at the time. My advice is 'BE CAREFUL'. "it ain't broke so let's not fix it" is good advice. I see no improvemet, but my garage and gate universal receivers no longer work and can't be reprogrammed. PLUS no Bluetooth conncetion to our mobiles any more. Tesal say nothing has been affectsd -BULLSHIT!

Last edited:
I justy had this upgrade to my 2015 MS. My advice is 'BE CAREFUL'! If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is good advice.

I just had this upgrade to my 2015 MS. Free so seemed a good idea at the time. My advice is 'BE CAREFUL'. "it ain't broke so let's not fix it" is good advice. I see no improvemet, but my garage and gate universal receivers no longer work and can't be reprogrammed. PLUS no Bluetooth conncetion to our mobiles any more. Tesal say nothing has been affectsd -BULLSHIT!
PS - STILL WAITING for softeware fix to charging error after TWO YEARS! Drops from 32amp to 16 amp charge on Scheduled unless I get up at 1.00am and uplug/replug. it'as a pita!