TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Test Mule?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Gear, Feb 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Testing a roof rack that you've already released? That workflow seems a little backward.

Mmm-kay, how about the ride height then?

Also, the roof rack has a deflector or something on the front that bridges the gap between the car roof and the box on top. Would not a "standard" roof rack's load NOT have such a deflector? Presenting an unnecessarily larger vehicle mass seems more consistent with simulating a larger vehicle, not on making an efficient roof rack.

2. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Not testing the roof rack, but testing the car's configuration WITH the roof rack. Once you start selling and supporting something like a roof rack, almost all drive modifications will need to be tested with the roof rack and its maximum weight. Just like testing the car with its maximum cargo weight. If they kept the roof rack aftermarket, they wouldn't have to mess with this.

3. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Folks, that's a Model X test mule with AWD. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Auto manufacturers test crossovers to be built on sedan platforms by jacking up the suspension and adding ballast (dead weight) to the roof of said sedan all the time.

For example, you can see BMW doing testing of the now current X3 by raising the suspension and adding ballast to the roof of a 3 Series sedan (the wagon variant) it's to be built on here:
    ku-medium.jpg

4. ATC@LWSK

Skopje,Macedonia/Abu Dhabi,UAE/Oakville,ON Canada

+1

I'm sticking with EarlyAdopter

5. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Yep, agreed. Wheel sensors, roof ballast, suspension high...that's my AWD X!

6. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

Its threads like these that make TMC so worthwhile. Loving these scoops.

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

8. Ssssly

Ssssly Member

wallls_com-7933.jpg

Was this anyone else's first thought?

9. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

#49 NielsChr, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    +1
    Model X drivetrain/range testing - they simmulated weight, height and suspension.

sensors on the 4 wheels could also be for ESP testing - or as other had said 2 motors drivetrain.

10. spicywith

spicywith New Member

Doubt it's a self-driving tester. The thing on the roof would be a lot smaller, not as flat and generally look more like a spinny radar. Here's a Google self-driving car for comparison. Looks a lot more like an extra battery pack. Notice there's a cable going to the charger area. It would make sense for the AWD since that would require extra juice to run.
    Google-Self-Driving-car.jpg

11. eepic

eepic Supporting Member

12. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 Member

The spinny thing is called a lidar and Tesla will not be using them on their autonomous cars due to the high cost. Tesla has stated that they are going for a stereo vision approach to keep costs low. My previous job was as an engineer working on autonomous vehicles so I may be able to answer some questions if anyone has any.

P.S. the things hooked up to the wheels are encoders.

13. electrictorque

14. Zextraterrestrial

the Google Prius' used to have (or older versions have?) the wheel encoders that looked very similar to the Tesla

15. Majerus

Majerus Member

Thats what I would think as well... See the wheel speed sensors (assumption) on the google car , similar to the model s

google.jpg

16. Incredulocious

Incredulocious '11 LEAF → '13 RAV4EV → '18 Model 3

No, it looks like they're testing all wheel drive. And up top, that looks like just dead weight – perhaps to simulate the higher center of gravity for the upcoming Model X.

17. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Been discussing this for a while over here: Model S Test Mule?

I think it is a Model X test rig. High weight to increase CG, and possible 4wd (wheel encoders for torque vectoring information).

18. eepic

eepic Supporting Member

Curious if you have any insight how far a suite of relatively low cost visible-light/IR cameras would be able to determine ahead with enough certainty via its machine vision. Or perhaps, in the limit of the best traditional cameras (i.e. not LIDAR) how far would it be?

Also, if you are able to answer, did you work on 'active safety' for one of the big autos thats in or near production, or a more advanced prototype demo tech (like Google's autonomous cars)?

19. Chris Naps

Chris Naps Member

#59 Chris Naps, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    What the heck kinda Model S is this???

Hello everyone! I was searching on YouTube and I happened to find a video in regards to a picture I saw on these forums. A link to a thread that contains high quality pictures can be found here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/27765-Model-S-Test-Mule

In brief if you do not want to read the above forums page - the Tesla owner stopped to Supercharge and was attracted to an uniquely ugly looking Tesla. The Tesla representative was to general to really have an understand on what this vehicles purpose really is.

It is up to us to figure it out for ourselves! Can anyone give some insight on this topic???

(The Model S - if you cannot tell - is located driving on the left hand lane.)

Thank you! If you look at the pictures in the forums posted above - it looks like a test car for an autonomous vehicle especially because it has a big RED button most likely for emergency purposes, but in the video it does not seem to be driving by itself because the driving is WAY to erratic (i.e. speeding up then breaking.)

20. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Looks like the same S AWD mule that was seen just before NAIAS. With the ballast on top it is suspected to a be a test mule for Model X.