Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Test Mule?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Testing a roof rack that you've already released? That workflow seems a little backward.

Mmm-kay, how about the ride height then?

Also, the roof rack has a deflector or something on the front that bridges the gap between the car roof and the box on top. Would not a "standard" roof rack's load NOT have such a deflector? Presenting an unnecessarily larger vehicle mass seems more consistent with simulating a larger vehicle, not on making an efficient roof rack.

Not testing the roof rack, but testing the car's configuration WITH the roof rack. Once you start selling and supporting something like a roof rack, almost all drive modifications will need to be tested with the roof rack and its maximum weight. Just like testing the car with its maximum cargo weight. If they kept the roof rack aftermarket, they wouldn't have to mess with this.

Folks, that's a Model X test mule with AWD. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Auto manufacturers test crossovers to be built on sedan platforms by jacking up the suspension and adding ballast (dead weight) to the roof of said sedan all the time.

For example, you can see BMW doing testing of the now current X3 by raising the suspension and adding ballast to the roof of a 3 Series sedan (the wagon variant) it's to be built on here:
ku-medium.jpg

Folks, that's a Model X test mule with AWD. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Auto manufacturers test crossovers to be built on sedan platforms by jacking up the suspension and adding ballast (dead weight) to the roof of said sedan all the time.

For example, you can see BMW doing testing of the now current X3 by raising the suspension and adding ballast to the roof of a 3 Series sedan (the wagon variant) it's to be built on here:
View attachment 43874

+1

I'm sticking with EarlyAdopter

Doubt it's a self-driving tester. The thing on the roof would be a lot smaller, not as flat and generally look more like a spinny radar. Here's a Google self-driving car for comparison. Looks a lot more like an extra battery pack. Notice there's a cable going to the charger area. It would make sense for the AWD since that would require extra juice to run.
Google-Self-Driving-car.jpg

Doubt it's a self-driving tester. The thing on the roof would be a lot smaller, not as flat and generally look more like a spinny radar. Here's a Google self-driving car for comparison. Looks a lot more like an extra battery pack. Notice there's a cable going to the charger area. It would make sense for the AWD since that would require extra juice to run.
View attachment 44476

The spinny thing is called a lidar and Tesla will not be using them on their autonomous cars due to the high cost. Tesla has stated that they are going for a stereo vision approach to keep costs low. My previous job was as an engineer working on autonomous vehicles so I may be able to answer some questions if anyone has any.

P.S. the things hooked up to the wheels are encoders.

The spinny thing is called a lidar and Tesla will not be using them on their autonomous cars due to the high cost. Tesla has stated that they are going for a stereo vision approach to keep costs low. My previous job was as an engineer working on autonomous vehicles so I may be able to answer some questions if anyone has any.

P.S. the things hooked up to the wheels are encoders.

Curious if you have any insight how far a suite of relatively low cost visible-light/IR cameras would be able to determine ahead with enough certainty via its machine vision. Or perhaps, in the limit of the best traditional cameras (i.e. not LIDAR) how far would it be?

Also, if you are able to answer, did you work on 'active safety' for one of the big autos thats in or near production, or a more advanced prototype demo tech (like Google's autonomous cars)?

What the heck kinda Model S is this???

Hello everyone! I was searching on YouTube and I happened to find a video in regards to a picture I saw on these forums. A link to a thread that contains high quality pictures can be found here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/27765-Model-S-Test-Mule

In brief if you do not want to read the above forums page - the Tesla owner stopped to Supercharge and was attracted to an uniquely ugly looking Tesla. The Tesla representative was to general to really have an understand on what this vehicles purpose really is.

It is up to us to figure it out for ourselves! Can anyone give some insight on this topic???

(The Model S - if you cannot tell - is located driving on the left hand lane.)

Thank you! If you look at the pictures in the forums posted above - it looks like a test car for an autonomous vehicle especially because it has a big RED button most likely for emergency purposes, but in the video it does not seem to be driving by itself because the driving is WAY to erratic (i.e. speeding up then breaking.)

Last edited by a moderator: