Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to Model 3 movers : what are your experiences ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For almost everything, I like the Model 3 better. I like how it drives better, I like the front / top view out of the car better, I like how it looks, and I like the payments (including insurance) much better!

What I miss about the S, and how big of a deal is it?

Auto-Liftgate / Hatchback - It's not that big of a deal, it's mostly a creature comfort, although the hatchback came in handy several times with large items during transport. The S really was a big car with a lot of storage. Minor

Heated Steering Wheel - I haven't hit winter yet, but I know I'm going to miss this. I always said the heated steering wheel was better than heated seats. Sure, you can wear gloves. Minor

Auto-Pilot Stalk - I liked the Model S/X Stalk better. I am used to it and forward back was easier than up-down. But I will get used to it. Minor.

Split Screen U/I - Version 9 has improved this a bit but they still need to make "pop ups" or something to allow U/I media navigation or camera viewing while still allowing to view NAV at the same time. Not just a window over top of it while it is grayed out. Version 9 has improved it, making moving through your media library easier (especially sources) but the backup camera needs to be able to stay open at all times while still viewing NAV since the rear window visibility isn't so great. This can be improved via software.

Always-On Power - This is actually the thing I miss the most. I could plug in my phone and keep it charging when the car was off. You could easily plug in a dash cam to your power. The Model 3 may have revolutionized most of the electrical systems for Teslas, but damnit they made power monitoring a pain in the ass. I want to use that battery to power my stuff all the time if I want to. Medium Annoyance. This can also be corrected by software updates.

All of that being said... I like the Model 3 better by quite a bit. They can easily add a heated steering wheel in a future refresh, maybe add another 12V port in the front console, and change the U/I and power monitoring to be more end-user friendly to really push the car over the top.

• Love
Reactions: vletnguyen
The only thing I really miss about my S was the back seat leg room and the hatch back. I had an early, pre AP Model S, so my 3 is superior from a tech standpoint.

You might also miss the second display. With v9, the 3 gained the browser and energy graph apps, but because the single screen needs to always display the instrument cluster information, only one app is viewable at a time.

For almost everything, I like the Model 3 better. I like how it drives better, I like the front / top view out of the car better, I like how it looks, and I like the payments (including insurance) much better!

Auto-Liftgate / Hatchback - It's not that big of a deal, it's mostly a creature comfort, although the hatchback came in handy several times with large items during transport. The S really was a big car with a lot of storage. Minor

Heated Steering Wheel - I haven't hit winter yet, but I know I'm going to miss this. I always said the heated steering wheel was better than heated seats. Sure, you can wear gloves. Minor

Auto-Pilot Stalk - I liked the Model S/X Stalk better. I am used to it and forward back was easier than up-down. But I will get used to it. Minor.

Split Screen U/I - Version 9 has improved this a bit but they still need to make "pop ups" or something to allow U/I media navigation or camera viewing while still allowing to view NAV at the same time. Not just a window over top of it while it is grayed out. Version 9 has improved it, making moving through your media library easier (especially sources) but the backup camera needs to be able to stay open at all times while still viewing NAV since the rear window visibility isn't so great. This can be improved via software.

Always-On Power - This is actually the thing I miss the most. I could plug in my phone and keep it charging when the car was off. You could easily plug in a dash cam to your power. The Model 3 may have revolutionized most of the electrical systems for Teslas, but damnit they made power monitoring a pain in the ass. I want to use that battery to power my stuff all the time if I want to. Medium Annoyance. This can also be corrected by software updates.

All of that being said... I like the Model 3 better by quite a bit. They can easily add a heated steering wheel in a future refresh, maybe add another 12V port in the front console, and change the U/I and power monitoring to be more end-user friendly to really push the car over the top.

I agree with all of this. If I had it to do over again, I would have sprung for the extra to get an AWD 3 instead of RWD and that would have closed the performance gap between my 3 and my S even more.

Reactions: dendenyc

Nailed it!

I would only add the air suspension and hatch/trunk space/volume but the size of the 3 makes it feel much tighter.

If I had to choose/rank cons:
1. So far, no continuous power (24/7 blackvue), could easily be software update for teslacam in parking mode.
2. Heated steering wheel
3. power trunk
4. AP stalk (more intuitive than on PRND stalk)
5. trunk volume
6. Air suspension

Pro: way faster than S85D, UI is faster, seats are WAY MORE comfortable, CUP HOLDERS!!

We have both a "classic" S and an AWD 3. They both have their strong points.

The S is a great family car because it's wider, has much more storage, can seat up to seven with the rear facing seats, and has a hatchback. It's also a very comfortable, solid-feeling "highway cruiser" on longer drives.

The 3 seems to have more crisp, tighter handling and feels sportier. I definitely prefer driving the 3 over the S.

In terms of exterior appearance, I feel that the S has a more premium/luxury look that conveys prestige. (That's not why we bought it, but I'm not complaining!) The 3, in my opinion, has a sporty look that says "fun". This is perhaps analogous to the perceived differences between the BMW 7 Series and 3 Series.

Finally, I'll add that if we were in the market to replace our Model S, the Model X would be our number one choice. However, I do think the S is a nicer looking vehicle than the X. No surprise there, given that the X is an SUV.

I've only driven 2 Model S loaners so my experience is slanted, I'm sure a grand new S would be more comparable.

That said the UI is way more complicated and I honestly find myself confused and distracted by all the stuff. Adjustable suspension is cool and I do like the sunroof. The materials are "nicer" but I find the 3 interior to be more appealing. Charging port is sleeker, but doesn't close by itself. The car itself really feels way too big now, but that is a personal choice issue. The S is certainly a more aggressive and "fancier" looking car from the outside. I really dislike the center console setup, the arm rests and cupholders just feel awkward.

Adjustable suspension is cool and I do like the sunroof.
Those are good points about the S.

However, given that we need to use the "Very High" suspension setting on our S in order to enter/exit our driveway without scraping, I've been pleasantly surprised at the clearance on the 3 (non-Performance). It doesn't scrape at all, apparently because the bottom front and rear of the car slope up, away from the ground.

The sunroof is truly something I love about our S. When driving through beautiful areas at slow to moderate speeds, I enjoy opening the roof all the way and soaking in the surroundings. I'll never forget how much we enjoyed having the roof open while ascending the tight curves through Zion National Park on US 9, with amazing rock formations towering overhead. I guess it works out that the S is the car we intend to continue using for road trips!

I only owned my S 70 for a few months before I sold it after taking delivery of my 3 but I agree with most of what has been previously stated on this thread. I do miss what I think was a better lift gate and back seat roominess on the S. I did also find the interior on the S to be much nicer and more refined. The smaller 3 however does fit my small garage (I park two cars in there) much better which is a big plus.

Thank you folks for the spectacular responses! Do any of you also have toddlers and a (front facing) child seat in the back ? How was that like going from an S to a 3 ?

The sheer volume and space within the S is our main draw at the moment; two year olds have an enormous logistical footprint on any road trip...

Loved my S70D and surprised I don’t miss it!

My 3 kids (age 5.5, 3.5, 3.5) forward facing seats fit fine and they love seeing the screen showing speed and AP.

EAP is now much better than AP1
Model 3D is quicker than S70D
Range is incredible, game changing for me
Seats super comfy and I thought the nextgens were good.
Steering wheel grip and driving feel when you are not on AP feels like a go cart on steroids.
Parking is easier with a smaller form factor but interior feels bigger/roomier

Miss power liftgate and hatch but don’t really mind
Miss the physical key fob. Phone key works fine but I’ll get the key fob when it’s offered
Door handles are odd and not intuitive to many newbies, though my kids got it right away

If I kept the S and the 3 I’d probably never drive the S

• Informative
Reactions: suraj1194
Thank you folks for the spectacular responses! Do any of you also have toddlers and a (front facing) child seat in the back ? How was that like going from an S to a 3 ?

The sheer volume and space within the S is our main draw at the moment; two year olds have an enormous logistical footprint on any road trip...
If you are going to be using booster seats in the 3 anytime soon a must buy is a set of seatbelt bracket extenders. My kids have a tough time buckling in the 3 because the buckles sit down in the seat.