Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to model 3 regret?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't the "proper comparison" then be the newer Model S to the M3 AWD w/air suspension? Though that can't happen for at least a few months that's in line with your logic, right?

P.S. Not clear to me what a Performance M3 is going to mean. If they're going to have somewhat beefer motors (on obviously AWD) or a more drastic re-configuration with a 3rd motor for the rear (a la 2020 Roadster).

Yes and no. I already stated the Model 3 is a better value per dollar, and regardless of dual-motor or a performance version of the model 3 it'll never exceed the more expensive Model S. I might be wrong, but I think they will purposely keep a performance difference between the two. Therefore if you must have the fastest, biggest, most luxurious regardless of price the Model S will always be the superior car.

But for the sake of your argument and fun let's say Tesla comes out with a Performance Model 3 with Dual-motor and air-suspension, a la Model 3 PDLR, I would say the performance would drop the 0-60 time another second to 4.1(in line with an S75/100D), and cost roughly an additional $18,000 to a total price with AP $75,500 (delivery fees included). You would then essentially have the same performance, upgrades, and battery size as an S75D that costs $90,000 with PUP, AP, and premium seats.

The Model 3 PDLR would have a longer range, but the Model S will have more space and bio-mode. I would have to say that that'll be the closest two specs between a Model 3 and Model S for comparison sake with a $14,500 difference.

In that case, once again, I'd say unless you have to have the space, bio-mode, or status/looks of not being based on a $35,000 car, the Model 3 is going to be the better deal imo. What do you guys think?

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Nice to see all of these opinions on switching from an S to a 3. I'm considering doing the same. I have a 2016 S and while I love it, the simplicity of the model 3 really appeals to me. I also feel like the model 3 would be cheaper to keep beyond warranty than the S.

So my dilemma now is when to make the jump. Two factors that are making me lean towards getting a 3 now vs waiting until the S 4-year warranty is up:

1) The S is going to keep declining in re-sale value and will accelerate whenever the model s gets a refresh
2) Right now, I can still get a good tax break on the Model 3.

Nice to see all of these opinions on switching from an S to a 3. I'm considering doing the same. I have a 2016 S and while I love it, the simplicity of the model 3 really appeals to me. I also feel like the model 3 would be cheaper to keep beyond warranty than the S.

So my dilemma now is when to make the jump. Two factors that are making me lean towards getting a 3 now vs waiting until the S 4-year warranty is up:

1) The S is going to keep declining in re-sale value and will accelerate whenever the model s gets a refresh
2) Right now, I can still get a good tax break on the Model 3.

That makes sense, my only recommendation is to test drive a Model 3 and see if you actually like it. Tough to do, but maybe someone here and in your area can help you out. I don't think you'll be disappointed, but it is different.

Two things: With regard to comparison. I have had model 3 for a week. Came from Model S 90D. The simplest comparison is that it is like driving a BMW 330i compared to BMW 7 series. I love it because it handles much more like a sports car and is way more fun to drive. That being said it definitely is a rougher ride but worth it for the handling.
With regard to trade vs sell. I sold my car to Vroom.com for 69k. Tesla offered me $55k trade in. This is not an ad for vroom. Just wanted to tell you if you do some research i think you can do much better than trading in to Tesla.

Two things: With regard to comparison. I have had model 3 for a week. Came from Model S 90D. The simplest comparison is that it is like driving a BMW 330i compared to BMW 7 series. I love it because it handles much more like a sports car and is way more fun to drive. That being said it definitely is a rougher ride but worth it for the handling.
With regard to trade vs sell. I sold my car to Vroom.com for 69k. Tesla offered me $55k trade in. This is not an ad for vroom. Just wanted to tell you if you do some research i think you can do much better than trading in to Tesla.
What year and options did your 90D have?

... and cost roughly an additional $18,000 to a total price....
What's the underlying assumptions on this? M3 physical upgrade prices seem to scale down with their size. Paint is only $1K, AWD will be under $5K (how much under hasn't been released).

EDIT: "Performance" is a complete wildcard as far as I can tell?

As for the other, what I was referring to was the handling and the ride, which is what you seemed to be referring to with someone stating that they preferred the M3 regardless of price.

Last edited:
Yes and no. I already stated the Model 3 is a better value per dollar, and regardless of dual-motor or a performance version of the model 3 it'll never exceed the more expensive Model S. I might be wrong, but I think they will purposely keep a performance difference between the two. Therefore if you must have the fastest, biggest, most luxurious regardless of price the Model S will always be the superior car.

But for the sake of your argument and fun let's say Tesla comes out with a Performance Model 3 with Dual-motor and air-suspension, a la Model 3 PDLR, I would say the performance would drop the 0-60 time another second to 4.1(in line with an S75/100D), and cost roughly an additional $18,000 to a total price with AP $75,500 (delivery fees included). You would then essentially have the same performance, upgrades, and battery size as an S75D that costs $90,000 with PUP, AP, and premium seats.

The Model 3 PDLR would have a longer range, but the Model S will have more space and bio-mode. I would have to say that that'll be the closest two specs between a Model 3 and Model S for comparison sake with a $14,500 difference.

In that case, once again, I'd say unless you have to have the space, bio-mode, or status/looks of not being based on a $35,000 car, the Model 3 is going to be the better deal imo. What do you guys think?
I think a performance Model 3 with all of the extras you mention for $75,000 is a steal. I also don't think it's going to happen. If, by some miracle, the performance variant with all those features does come out at that price by the time I configure (June or July of this year) I will be severely tempted to take that plunge, but that's just me.

Dan

No regrets. Yes 3 is bumpy but it's livable. To me it's a hair bumpier than coil S. It fits 3s character better with the tight handling.

Model S is a little too big to park and in garage for me. It's handful and feels heavy. With air, model S is more comfortable but it doesn't have the sporty feel in my opinion. Harder to see out and I wouldn't feel comfortable weaving through traffic.

Also Tesla is getting better building cars. 2014 S to 2017 S, cars feel so different in terms of tightness. With model 3 you get entirely new design, less screens, and fewer parts so that they hopefully make less rattling noise down the road.

No regrets. Yes 3 is bumpy but it's livable. To me it's a hair bumpier than coil S. It fits 3s character better with the tight handling.

Model S is a little too big to park and in garage for me. It's handful and feels heavy. With air, model S is more comfortable but it doesn't have the sporty feel in my opinion. Harder to see out and I wouldn't feel comfortable weaving through traffic.

Also Tesla is getting better building cars. 2014 S to 2017 S, cars feel so different in terms of tightness. With model 3 you get entirely new design, less screens, and fewer parts so that they hopefully make less rattling noise down the road.

when even americans complain that the Model S is too big then you know that there will be big issues in Europe. No offense Norway, but you have a lot of space...

I once stood next to a Model S in the UK and that thing didn't even fit into the parking spot. Yes Audi A8 and BMW 7 series are also almost as big but you seldom see them here if ever.

I am a minimalist so would prefer the current Model 3 (+ HUD :-] interior design to the Model S one.

In terms of the size in the US it depends on area and personal preference. I'm 20min from HQ but some parking spots are tight in San Jose. I've never had problems street parking the S being too long, but width was the issue sometimes on strip mall lots. Didn't feel comfortable parking next to a poorly parked SUV and Model S rear doors opens wide with the pointy edge.

A model S will never be an option for me. At least as long as I am in my current house. I could never physically fit the car into my garage, and there's no way in hell I would leave a $100,000 car parked outside. On the other hand, if I could afford a $100,000 car to begin with I would be living in something with more garage space!

Dan

In terms of the size in the US it depends on area and personal preference. I'm 20min from HQ but some parking spots are tight in San Jose. I've never had problems street parking the S being too long, but width was the issue sometimes on strip mall lots. Didn't feel comfortable parking next to a poorly parked SUV and Model S rear doors opens wide with the pointy edge.

Presumably due to a lot of American cars form the 80s being very, very long and most parking spots were designed to accomodate this. If you look at what drove around in europe at the time it then makes sense why our parking spots are so short.

A model S will never be an option for me. At least as long as I am in my current house. I could never physically fit the car into my garage, and there's no way in hell I would leave a $100,000 car parked outside. On the other hand, if I could afford a $100,000 car to begin with I would be living in something with more garage space!

Dan

I know... unfortunately in Europe a lot of people have to use street parking and in Australia it is strangely enough less common to have garages even though houses are so huge here.

My guess - performance model matching speed of p100d for $100k.

You shouldn’t keep something off the market for fear of stealing your own business. But you can price it with appropriate margins.

Porsche has done this with the 911 and Cayman for over a decade. I think it'll depend on the margins of selling an S vs a model 3. If the S margins are much larger with the Performance option then they'll definitely keep a big performance gap between it and the Model 3 Performance version. At least a second 0-60 mph difference imo e.g. 2.4 sec VS 3.4 sec

What's the underlying assumptions on this? M3 physical upgrade prices seem to scale down with their size. Paint is only $1K, AWD will be under $5K (how much under hasn't been released).

EDIT: "Performance" is a complete wildcard as far as I can tell?

As for the other, what I was referring to was the handling and the ride, which is what you seemed to be referring to with someone stating that they preferred the M3 regardless of price.

My assumption or guesstimate is $5K for AWD, $3K for air suspension, and $10K for performance motor/package

Handling is a very subjective term as I can objectively say that I can embarrass the Model 3 in my S100D on a race track. The model 3 steering feels a bit tighter but the Model S can definitely take turns faster. I do think this has a lot to do with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports I have on the arachnids though vs the all season tires on the Model 3 19" wheels.

Reactions: Warrentt
It really depends on what makes you love your MS. They will both drive like a Tesla and will feel similar when comparing it to an ICE vehicle. As others mentioned, the size/weight difference between S and 3 will change the driving characteristics.

Aside from the driving experience, the main difference between S and 3 IMO is how evolved the design is. Model S interface (I refer to all parts we interact with, not just the touchscreen) resembles a traditional ICE car way more than Model 3. In the design world, you never want to make huge leaps because people will outright reject it. Had Model 3 come first, people would have likely rejected it because it's too different from what they know. Even now, some people are trying to come to terms with the cockpit design of the 3. Switching from S to 3 means you'll have to adjust to the new paradigm. It will be easier than someone going from ICE to 3, but I think that's where any challenge would be.
Well said.

I've been on this Tesla ride since 2008. Had one fo the first MS's (vin 1571) and absolutely LOVED it! Then the MX was announced and I signed up. Took delivery in 2016 having sold the MS. And absolutely LOVED it! But the M3 came along and my wife liked the idea of having a smaller Tesla. So we took delivery last month. And we LOVE it! My MX is leased and will have to make a decision next year. And I have to say that a M3 is definitely in the running. The interior is the most striking design ever. And it is extremely responsive. Love it!

Reactions: GTKAZ