Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to the Nürburgring Next Week!

Would Elon Announce a Nürburgring Visit Without Already Knowing the S Would Beat the Taycan’s Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Taycan has done the lap on stock tires.

If Musk tries to cheat with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires or other mods Porsche will come back and crush the Model S laptime.

The Taycan is in a different league to the Model S which is 7 years old now.

Do you have a source for this assertion?

Why would anyone expect people trying to set a record on the ring to use any tires except the ones they think best suited?

I don't think there's a single part on a current S that's the identical part from seven years ago. They just haven't changed the shape and interior appearance much while they completely overhauled the car and how everything works.

Do you have a source for this assertion?

Why would anyone expect people trying to set a record on the ring to use any tires except the ones they think best suited?

I don't think there's a single part on a current S that's the identical part from seven years ago. They just haven't changed the shape and interior appearance much while they completely overhauled the car and how everything works.

Because it's a bragging right to set the record with car in its stock form. That's why people like the Sports Auto times because they are a magazine that get cars like regular people and set laptime using setup that any normal owner would have.

BTW, if you guys know Porsche's history, you know they don't do special setup for these type of record attempts. One good example of this is how they supported the 918, P1, and LaFerrari comparison at Laguna Seca. Whatever they do to get the performance, they roll them into their production cars. They are sports car first, street car second. There is a big difference in engineering the car when it's approached that way compared to how cars are typically engineered.

Reactions: GSP and gowthamn
Doesn't Model S has trouble sustaining high speed? Not sure if people understand how difficult it is to break the 8 minutes mark on the Ring, let along taking 20 seconds out of that. I have a hard time seeing how Model S can do it unless there is a special edition Model S with ceramic brakes, super wide tires, new suspensions, and cooling system.

Not the raven. I haven't been able to get it to pull power yet.

Because it's a bragging right to set the record with car in its stock form. That's why people like the Sports Auto times because they are a magazine that get cars like regular people and set laptime using setup that any normal owner would have.

BTW, if you guys know Porsche's history, you know they don't do special setup for these type of record attempts. One good example of this is how they supported the 918, P1, and LaFerrari comparison at Laguna Seca. Whatever they do to get the performance, they roll them into their production cars. They are sports car first, street car second. There is a big difference in engineering the car when it's approached that way compared to how cars are typically engineered.

As you can see from the video. unless the factory car has No seats except a custom race bucket for the driver and a FULL roll cage. then They did exactly "do special setup for these type of record attempts" so until a production street model by an independent magazine/site does a run. There is a HUGE Astrix on this one.

Last edited:
Fact: Tesla builds the most powerful and reliable BEVs in the world. The Porsche Taycan ran a 7:42 at the Nurburgring last week.

The Ferrari Enzo ran a 7:25 around the ring, I predict that the P100D annihilates the Taycan's shortly held record and bests the Enzo. With nearly 800hp from the factory, the world is about to see what a Model S with its latest version of Track Mode suspension settings is capable of. I'll also go as far as saying that the P100D beats the Jaguar XE SV project 8 race car, making it the fastest 4 door sedan ever to run the ring.

As you can see from the video. unless the factory car has No seats except a custom race bucket for the driver and a FULL roll cage. then They did exactly "do special setup for these type of record attempts" so until a production street model by an independent magazine/site does a run. There is a HUGE Astrix on this one.

Oh please. Porsche does this for all runs at the ring because of driver's safety. This is considered typical for Porsche and industry.

/

Reactions: gowthamn
And for all Model S too. It's probably ~70KW max for safety margin. But even for raven, no way they put in 450KW AC to DC rectifier+charger and software limited it to 50KW. It would be an unnecessary cost and weight (they used to charge ~$2K for an extra 10KW AC charger).

I'm hearing a lot of "no way" this and "no way" that.

No way Tesla could beat a Porsche on a track.
No way can you land a rocket on a barge in the middle of the ocean.

No way why?

Tesla could very well have a track version of the Raven that has a larger AC/DC converter that supports much higher power numbers.

Porsche can do it...why couldn't Tesla? Most here would agree that Tesla's power electronics prowess would exceed Porsche's anyway, right?

DC/AC inverter is not symmetric, i.e. just because you can pull 450KW from the battery, convert it to AC to drive the motor, doesn't mean you can take 450KW from the motor, rectify it to DC to charge the battery. The rectifier which can do only 50KW, will burn at 450KW.

Not sure exact numbers are relevant to this discussion, but for what it's worth, according to the Stats page my Ludicrous Raven peaks at 81.5 kW of regen.

What's interesting is that's all from the front motor/inverter at 70 mph, but is the same number split 80/20 front to rear at 50 mph.

I think that means they either picked that as a battery limit or a user experience limit and the drive units are capable of more. (How much more is an open question.)

Reactions: humbaba and MP3Mike
I'm hearing a lot of "no way" this and "no way" that.

No way Tesla could beat a Porsche on a track.
No way can you land a rocket on a barge in the middle of the ocean.

No way why?

Tesla could very well have a track version of the Raven that has a larger AC/DC converter that supports much higher power numbers.

Porsche can do it...why couldn't Tesla? Most here would agree that Tesla's power electronics prowess would exceed Porsche's anyway, right?

I thought the goal here was to beat a stock Taycan with a stock Model S. If we're talking a non-production, unlimited customization allowed, sure - they could all the way and remove everything but the "Model S" badge, then attach a 2020 roadster prototype to the Model S badge, retrofitted with a tiny/light battery capable of just enough charge to do a single lap around the ring.

Not sure exact numbers are relevant to this discussion, but for what it's worth, according to the Stats page my Ludicrous Raven peaks at 81.5 kW of regen.

What's interesting is that's all from the front motor/inverter at 70 mph, but is the same number split 80/20 front to rear at 50 mph.

I think that means they either picked that as a battery limit or a user experience limit and the drive units are capable of more. (How much more is an open question.)
How did you jump to that conclusion? Are you assuming your Raven has a 450KW rectifier/charger onboard but they only limited you to 81.5KW for comfort? When regening at 75mph you probably barely feel the slowdown compared to regen from say 35mph, so not sure why you think more deceleration G's would be considered comfortable at lower speeds but not at higher speeds.

I thought the goal here was to beat a stock Taycan with a stock Model S. If we're talking a non-production, unlimited customization allowed, sure - they could all the way and remove everything but the "Model S" badge, then attach a 2020 roadster prototype to the Model S badge, retrofitted with a tiny/light battery capable of just enough charge to do a single lap around the ring.

No. What I'm getting at is they could have a "track package" consisting of some Raven modifications--upgraded wheels, tires, brakes, track mode (software), and some other relatively minor HW modifications that they would use for this. And they also announce that it's on sale immediately as a $20,000 option.

How did you jump to that conclusion? Are you assuming your Raven has a 450KW rectifier/charger onboard but they only limited you to 81.5KW for comfort? When regening at 75mph you probably barely feel the slowdown compared to regen from say 35mph, so not sure why you think more deceleration G's would be considered comfortable at lower speeds but not at higher speeds.

The fact that the car can do 81.5 kW on the front motor only suggests to me that they could do more total regen if they did it on the monster rear motor as well - if they wanted to.

No. What I'm getting at is they could have a "track package" consisting of some Raven modifications--upgraded wheels, tires, brakes, track mode (software), and some other relatively minor HW modifications that they would use for this. And they also announce that it's on sale immediately as a $20,000 option.
450KW AC charger is not a minor modification, and way beyond $20K in cost even (that is like 3-4 large superchargers).