TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S - V9 software downgrade, not what I purchased.

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by QsilverRDC, Oct 9, 2018.

1. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

[email protected] (north america service)

• Informative x 1
  2. BonGoHutch

BonGoHutch Member

I thought it was just me but I’ve also noticed the cooling fan being weaker at the same temp setting. I now have to bump up the fan speed manually ... not had to do that before.

Although my main gripe is still taking my split/customizable screen away. I feel like a Tesla premium option has been removed.

3. Rusty1

Rusty1 Member

I like the layout overall. I just miss the green from my navigation. I can’t tell which side of the interstate is backed up.

• Like x 4
  4. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Active Member

Yes, low contrast means more lumens from all the screen real estate. Milky blacks are bad enough, when driving becomes more rural, at night. I wish cars shared priorities with home theater systems: Good Blacks.

Another thing lost with Version 9 was being able to full-screen a black website. I used to leave my car on the qtes.la home page because it was a darker black than Tesla renders. New maps, and especially being forced to look at them all the time, isn't what I bought.

• Like x 3
  5. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

If you don't like Version 9, you let the terrorists win.

• Funny x 5
    • Disagree x 3
  6. Goofykiller

Goofykiller Member

how come my model S hasn't received the update yet?

7. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Because your lucky?

(I have the update and like it, although it sounds like the end of the world around here)

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

*You’re*

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  9. SucreTease

SucreTease Teslarian

I, too, am very unhappy with the loss of ability to split the screen and assign functions to either half independently. I always had camera on the top and music (or occasionally,nav) on the bottom.

• Like x 4
  10. nexusone

nexusone Member

I've spent a couple of days with v9 now. What a massive *yawn* it is. Once people get used to it being different no one will care anymore, but it's definitely buggy poorly QA'ed product, just like everything Tesla ships out the door.

• Like x 2
  11. KArnold

KArnold Member

Personally I'd hate to be known as that kind of company. It's the Tesla way or the highway, customer be damned?

They really seem to be alienating many of their core customers - at least I am feeling sold a bill of goods. Especially the MS/MX owners who took a chance on them giving them an opportunity to potentially become a great and viable company. The grand response to my management escalation was "we'll forward your concern to the appropriate department". In other words they blew me off.

Thirs release and their continued lack of a viable response is disappointing. They don't have to do it my way but it would be nice to hear a smidgen of truth now and then. I'd rather hear "this is our strategic direction - take it or go somewhere else" than this kind of pathetic response. At least i would know what my real choices are. And it would most likely not include another Tesla for me.

• Like x 6
    • Love x 1
  12. booradlly

booradlly Member

• Like x 3
  13. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Seems unlikely we'll seem Tesla do much (if anything) to restore the V8 UI style.

The number of Tesla vehicles with horizontal displays will soon become the majority - and then become the vast majority of Tesla vehicles on the road. So we shouldn't be surprised to see the shift towards a UI style that works better on a horizontal display.

Plus, looking into my crystal ball, wouldn't be surprised to see the S/X models shift to using a horizontal display at some point. Since Tesla's goal is to get approval for FSD - once the driver is no longer driving the vehicle, it'll be better to have a large horizontal display to use with the media player for videos...

Like with each of the previous major releases with UI "improvements", there have been some positive features and some negative features - and after a while, got used to the new interface - and moved on. Though would still like to see them add the ability to change the media player source from the steering wheel (which we lost in V8)... (or is their a voice command to do that???).

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  14. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

Yes, looking forward to iPace and Taycan.
    Just kidding... or am I?

• Funny x 2
  15. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Every time there is a major update to the UI, there is a small subset that is frothing mad to the point of writing manifestos.

• Like x 6
    • Disagree x 2
  16. drift

drift Member

Does an Audi A8 have the same UI and Functionality as an Audi A3? A model s or x is not the same as a model 3 nor should they be. That's not what we paid for.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  17. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

Do you use any of these products? Microsoft? Apple? Waze? Google? All of these companies change software to what they think is better. So they also have it as the take it or leave it mentality. All the above have a subset of pissed off users when things change.
    This is industry standard.

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  18. spc

spc Member

One can always install or keep win 7, use an iphone 5, and then there is Linux one can re install basically any old release out there. With little searching one still be able to go dig an old Slackware install ISO. :) :) Ill take the old V7 back anytime on an AP1.

• Like x 3
  19. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

Fair point. Technically there are a number of folks who refuse the update. But your point is valid that with most of the companies I mentioned you can get back to the old version yourself.

20. f-stop

f-stop Active Member

seems they may have a short memory
    Elon Musk on Twitter
    twitter.jpg

• Like x 6