Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - V9 software downgrade, not what I purchased.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you use any of these products? Microsoft? Apple? Waze? Google? All of these companies change software to what they think is better. So they also have it as the take it or leave it mentality. All the above have a subset of pissed off users when things change.
This is industry standard.
Google is one of the worst. They kept making changes to our detriment and we finally told them we would need to suspend doing business with them if they kept on that path. However, multiple millions a year does have some pull, so they finally listened. :)

• Informative
Reactions: cdub and neroden
Version 9 is made for a model 3 (and perhaps future S/X) single "horizontal model 3 screen".

I am very unhappy with Tesla for reducing the functionality of my console.

The Model S/X vertical screen was kind of like two monitors for your computer at home or work.
You could open the functional displays energy, audio, map, etc. and choose where to locate top or bottom or full screen.
Now there is only one universal shared "flexible window" at the very bottom of the screen. The rear camera view and all other function screens are down by the cup holders.

What is the rest of the display doing.. a map stuck as the background.... Really? Did someone forget to program a close button on the map?

This interface layout is not suitable for a vertical screen. The design is for a horizontal screen located mid dash in height. All of the menus are at the very bottom of the screen, you know farthest away from the road and where your attention should be. I am aware that Tesla has shown concepts of one horizontal screen for the future model S and X just like the model 3. Maybe this interface is perfect for that, but is terrible and perhaps dangerous for a vertical screen like the models S/X currently have.

I bought my model S with the "2 window" screen, now I have only 1, and located down by the cup holder.
How many computer monitors are on your desk? Ya know, you really only need one, you can just tab between the applications. This update effectively removed one of my monitors and replaced it with a fixed map while locking the position of the remaining monitor.

Will Tesla restore the lost functionality? I hope so, but I doubt it.

The software interface needs to be reworked for all vertical screen interfaces. The menus need to be located at the top of the display (not the bottom), and restore the 2 active screen windows, with zoom and swap like I purchased with my model S.

Tesla this is really going backward in my opinion.

Formerly a happy customer in Ohio.

Also in Ohio, also unhappy with the new layout.

I've spent a couple of days with v9 now. What a massive *yawn* it is. Once people get used to it being different no one will care anymore, but it's definitely buggy poorly QA'ed product, just like everything Tesla ships out the door.

So... To all the sheep who don't care about the loss of function...I will try one last time.

The Model S/X vertical screen (V8) is (was) like two monitors for your computer at home or work. You could open the functional displays as camera, energy, audio, map, etc. and choose where to locate top or bottom or full screen. Now (V9) there is only one universal shared "window" at the very bottom of the screen. How would you feel if the 2nd monitor on you computer was now forced to always display Nicklodeon? Those who say, "I don't see a problem with it" I always keep Nicklodeon on the 2nd display, and now it's even bigger. And my computer got an upgrade!

You still had choice removed. Really - you don't care about this reduction of function? What about next year?

TESLA: The fix should not be that difficult. Restore the 2nd active screen windows, with zoom (full screen) and swap like I purchased with my model S. I don't dislike the combination menu, although more motion (clicks) are required to activate anything. I can even live with the map permanently as the background, so long as I get my 2 windows back. Oh, how about a choice of upper or lower menus, or is that asking too much?

TESLA should be adding functionality, both to self drive and the UI.. not removing it. Going the wrong direction.

Why is there no e-mail from TESLA to the Model S/X vertical screen owners? "Sorry we know we removed functionality from the interface. We do plan on restoring it shortly" Probably because they don't.

Sorry if the Sheep comment offends...

upload_2018-10-19_12-11-59.png

Does the fact that turned my Model S into a Model 3 count as a reason?

• Love
Reactions: pcdefl and neroden
I find it fascinating that this forum is rife with people that don't like V9 - to the point that they want to escalate the 'situation' to the highest level.

I want it known that I DO respect that some don't like the new layout.

However, for many of us ('us' being the 11 people in my circle of Tesla-owner friends that, unlike me, don't frequent these forums - and I'm sure we're NOT the only ones in the Tesla world), V9 is quite nice. For people to seemingly 'insist' that Tesla revert to V8 is quite (pun intended) 'ludicrous' and doesn't take into consideration those that like V9.

Unfortunately, when people don't like something... they feel 'wronged' and feel it's their right to demand change. It's understandable. But the human condition being what it is, when we don't like something, we holler and scream and post to forums. When we like something, we just like it quietly. There's no need to holler and scream and protest.

So, for all of you that hate V9, just know that there are many of us (and probably more than we all know) that would feel 'wronged' if Tesla gave in to pressure and reverted back to V8, as many have noted in this thread. Not because we're right. And it's not that the opposing viewpoint is right... it's just that we like different things. That's what is so beautiful about this country! We have the right to disagree!

I LOVE that I never know exactly what my Tesla will be like the next time I drive it!!! It's one of the best things about Tesla... constantly changing, adapting. Always for the better? Probably not. It is human run, after all. But the one thing I know in my heart is that Tesla will find that which is not functioning well and fix it. It is rare that I keep a car for more than a year before getting bored with it... it's been my MO for 30+ years. I don't see that with Tesla. I will keep this car, and buy more Tesla vehicles, and promote Tesla to all that would listen, until the day that Elon and Co decide that they don't want to deal with whiners and stop trying to improve their product.

If Tesla gives in and reverts back to V8, then what's next? Maybe enough people will holler and scream and post on forums that they HATE EAP (some actually have, I know) - and Tesla will give in to their whim also, and disable EAP on all our cars. And so on, and so on....

So - Elon - Tesla - PLEASE don't give in to those that want to revert! Do what you do best: Program changes, get feedback, find the common ground, and make it better. Rinse, and repeat.

After all... although I, and many others, love V9... I also look forward to the upcoming changes!

if Tesla gave in to pressure and reverted back to V8, as many have noted in this thread
Not sure I've seen anyone suggest everyone go back to v8.

I have seen requests to give us the multi-app functionality in v9. And to give us back the ability to choose screen location like we had before.

Plus I've seen people want to selectively go back to v8. I would love to have all of these things.

But no, not the Tesla world as a whole. Did I miss that?

...If Tesla gives in and reverts back to V8, then what's next? Maybe enough people will holler and scream and post on forums that they HATE EAP (some actually have, I know) - and Tesla will give in to their whim also, and disable EAP on all our cars. And so on, and so on....

So - Elon - Tesla - PLEASE don't give in to those that want to revert! Do what you do best: Program changes, get feedback, find the common ground, and make it better. Rinse, and repeat.

After all... although I, and many others, love V9... I also look forward to the upcoming changes!

Hi Brian, I started this thread and to be clear, I do not support reverting back to V8 at all.

I just want TESLA to restore the 2nd active screen window (the removed functionality), with zoom (full screen) and swap like I purchased with my model S. I don't dislike the combination menu, although it takes more motion then in V8 to activate.
I can even live with the map permanently as the background, so long there are 2 windows.

Do you agree with this premise?...Return user choice to the interface: you said "[Tesla] Do what you do best: Program changes, get feedback, find the common ground, and make it better. Rinse, and repeat."
So while Tesla is adding back a 2nd window (for the whiners), how about adding a choice for the menu location upper or lower?

Tezla should be adding functionality.. not removing it.

If they get enough people howling for a roll-back, they will provide it. This I was told by Tesla.

It truly was this item in this particular thread that made me believe that many are wanting a 'roll-back' - which I admittedly read as "revert to V8". I am probably (hopefully) incorrect in that interpretation. Other threads have mentioned a similar dissatisfaction with V9, and a subsequent wish to 'roll-back' or 'revert'. This, incorrectly interpreted as it may be, is what I am against.

Do you agree with this premise?...Return user choice to the interface

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. Offering choices would be a great option, and I would imagine that Tesla would be providing an update that would satiate those that feel that they have lost functionality. Again... I can't wait for my MX to 'change'!

It's interesting how differently we all use our interface, right? QsilverRDC, you mention that you have 'more motion' for your chosen applications. Most likely true, understood. I, however, found that most of what I use is less motion than V8.

I.E.: The 2 things I use most are Maps and Music. Maps, in V9, is an obvious answer to the 'number of moves' question: Zero. That's good for me. However, Maps mostly required zero moves in V8 - unless I used the ubiquitously-touted 'split screen' for 2 other functions. So, that's a non-starter for me.

Music required two moves in V8 - one tap to bring up the top menu of functions, and one add'l tap to open Music. So I've lost the need for one of those moves. Awesome. Also, I love-love-love the ability to minimize the Music screen to the bottom quarter of the screen... don't you? So great! More Maps!!! :p

Simply my opinion, but since we (S and X owners, specifically) have the ability to put some of the 'split-screen' functionality into our dash display (which is what I do - one side 'energy' and the other 'trip'), it never made sense - again, just to me - to need those in the vertical screen also.

These are my opinions, and just how I use my MX. But I do agree that offering UI options would be cool. Knowing Elon/Tesla... it's probably in the queue. :)

Appreciate your feedback!

Reactions: Nilnoc
I too think the V9 upgrade is a downgrade. First of all, I had a bunch of multi-colored icons at the TOP of the screen before. A BLUE musical note? No-brainer. And being on top of the screen - it's MUCH easier to keep your eyes on the road. Now, with the menu AT THE BOTTOM - your eyes are focused to a lower position - at the bottom of the screen. Why did they change anything? Can we go back? I liked be able to tap twice and get a full screen - nocando now. Also, on the nav program - if I want to focus in on a particular spot where I'm at on the map - it will focus and turn - but then after a minute or two IT RETURNS to a full shot? WTF? I could go on but how about the media center? I put a lot of music on USB thumb drives and play from there - they used to have a description of the song, the album, etc - and the graphics were much nice, then, previous to V9 they went backwards. It was like going from Windows 3.1 to DOS. And now, another step backwards. Who is responsible for all this mishigas? Fire them. I'll come in for free and help you clean it up. I love my car but now I find the interface annoying. I suppose there were upgrades somewhere (I can see them or I don't used them). Annoyed.

Actually, 80-year-old drivers are more likely to be a bit stiff in the neck and need that camera as a side-mirror. Anything that forces your eyes further from the road is less desirable than what does not.

Yea, you got that one ok. I'm not even close to 80 and already have a stiff neck. I'm just fine with the update. In fact it's the way I usually configure it anyway. But hey, I guess you can forget about old farts like me and design it the way you young whipper snappers want it :D I won't be around for long. Forget about the request for a "leg bag" and a place to put my prune juice. ;) But keep in mind that one day when you are 80, you might be saying...... damn I wish I hadn't insisted Tesla revert that change back there in 2018. Yes, this is just a poor attempt at sarcastic humor which failed.

They also need to give us the option to restore app buttoms at the top. Having a non-AP MS, I believe is a safety issue.
Perhaps. And a highway patrol officer would probably say that playing with buttons anywhere on the dash or on a display is a safety issue regardless of where they are located as compared to old cars that didn't have anything to entice you to play with. They see lots of accidents every day for this sort of distracted driving which is why I avoid changing practically anything while I'm moving the car. :)

Reactions: pcdefl