Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 'Vent' only opens windows but does not close them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla was never marketed as a luxury car. It was marketed as a premium sedan. I haven't looked up the exact definition, but I think "premium" means higher price.

You used to be able to roll down all windows all the way with the key fob. (But not back up.) I am among those disappointed in the removal of features from the UI over the years. Especially the full color map, green traffic indications and static +/- map buttons. Also miss the static climate off button, static app buttons, day and date... All features I was accustomed to that have been removed.

I don't imagine any good reason all Tesla cars can't close windows from remote. It's not not like they can cut off limbs or digits.
Model S is defined as “luxury sedan” everywhere, including Tesla’s own 10K.

Model S is defined as “luxury sedan” everywhere, including Tesla’s own 10K.
I don't know what a 10K is except a foot race.
I was probably wrong when I said "never." Even back in 2013 people on the forum and elsewhere used the term luxury, but Tesla described themselves as a manufacturer of premium electric sedans. No parking sensors, no lighted vanity mirrors, etc.

I was probably wrong when I said "never." Even back in 2013 people on the forum and elsewhere used the term luxury, but Tesla described themselves as a manufacturer of premium electric sedans. No parking sensors, no lighted vanity mirrors, etc.
10K is the annual SEC filing for public US companies. It is an official document that describes the business, financials, projections, etc.
Not sure if parking sensors and lighted vanity mirrors define a car as “luxury”, although MS does have those. Luxury is more about the creature comfort than basic things like those.

Luxury seems to imply two characteristics. First, high quality of materials -- nice leather upholstery, soft touch surfaces everywhere, nicely finished switches that feel nice to the touch, and so on. To some extent, luxury is often mentioned by the absence of such touches. E.g., a recent review of the Mercedes-Benz EQE complained about the quality of switchgear compared to previous Benz models.
The second characteristic is the presence of features that lower priced cars (especially by the same manufacturer) are lacking. Mentioning Mercedes again, the S Class cars often were the first ones to get features such as parking sensors, navigation, high priced audio systems, and so on, which only later drifted down to the less expensive E and C classes over time. So there was some "exclusivity" to those features, at least at first. But some such features are simply not available on cheaper cars -- such as power-operated doors, double-thick glass, and so on. When I think of "luxury," I think S class or Rolls Royce or Bentley with their wool carpets and fold-down tables for the rear seat, stuff like that which is totally "unnecessary" in a transportation vehicle but just nice to have and which place the user experience on a different level.
Tesla's use of the term "Premium" might have been a way of emphasizing the technology and functionality over the non-essential wool rugs and so on. Or a self-serving way to justify the price despite the lack of traditional "luxury" quality and features.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boza and SoCal Buzz
My 2021 MSP Vents (approx 3") All windows via the App., Then the Close option for all windows works fine, No warnings or the such in my Premium Sedan. My Luxury Porsche would get the nice leather and wood wet, so it does not have the Vent option.🤣

• Informative
Reactions: David29
My 2021 MSP Vents (approx 3") All windows via the App., Then the Close option for all windows works fine, No warnings or the such in my Premium Sedan. My Luxury Porsche would get the nice leather and wood wet, so it does not have the Vent option.🤣
You're right! Now you can Close again... I wonder if it's just on 2021+ for some reason.

Reactions: jschimel
My 2019 Raven S opens but does not close.

To the best of my knowledge the app still flags spurious 'window open' messages regardless of if the windows are closed. I guess this may be related to the car not having the 'close window' feature in the app.

If I recalibrate the window close following the correct procedure, the app k ows the windows are closed. I suspect there is no sensor for the closed position, and that closed is detected by the stalled motor current increase.

I do not understand why the technological might of Tesla can't fix this. There must be a solution, even if something clumsy like repeated micro pulses to close window gradually over say 5 mins without any excessive loads or pinch hazards being caused.