Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Vibration at Highway Speed's Above 70 Miles an Hour Finally Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model S on December 29, 2016. Sometime around mid-February, I noticed a severe vibration at speeds above 70 miles an hour that would become more pronounced the faster I went. You could feel this vibration through the steering wheel and even through the seats of the car.

When I brought the car in for service, the technical staff had no idea what the problem was. When I told the service advisor I had read in the forums that other owners were experiencing the same issue and that the cause appeared to be related to radiator ducting the service advisor dismissed the idea immediately says he doesn't believe any of whats written in the forums.

We road tested the car at which point the vibration occurred. They made a recording of the vibration and agreed it was a real issue. I wass told they'd send the recording off to corporate for analysis and get back to me.

Fast forward to the middle of July, and all I've heard from Tesla is crickets. I finally call the service center and ask to speak to my advisor. They tell me he's busy but will call me call me back. Two days go by and I my call still hasn't been returned, so I call in again.

This time I get the service advisor on the phone. I explain I've been waiting for months to hear back from him on the recording analysis and for them to come up with a plan to address the problem. He says he vaguely remembers me coming in and that if there's a problem I should schedule a service appointment.

I'm normally a pretty calm guy, but at this point, I'm ready to blow a gasket. I told the service advisor; you've already inspected the car. You've made a recording of the vibration. You supposedly sent the recording off to your corporate engineering gurus for analysis but now after I've waited months to hear from you on a course of action the best thing you can come up with is to bring the car back in again and start the process over? Are you kidding me?

I told him we're not going to do that. I told him you're going to reach out to corporate and find out what they've done with the recording and get back to me with a plan of action to fix this car. He apologized, acknowledged they dropped the ball on this issue and indicated he would reach out to corporate and contact me back in a couple of days with a plan to have the issue addressed.

Well, guess what… I never hear back from the service advisor. Big surprise right? After another two weeks goes by I called the service center and asked to speak to the service manager. Of course, he's in a meeting but does call me back within a few hours.

I explain the situation to him from beginning to end and expressed my frustration. He was very apologetic and indicates he will look into the matter immediately and get back to me. Within a couple of hours, he calls me back and tells me this is a known problem and they have a permanent fix.

We schedule my service appointment for two days later, July 10th. I finally got the car back yesterday after 10 days. The vibration appears to be gone and I'm happy about that.

I am, however, disappointed with how Tesla service handled this issue. If a permanent solution had to be created this should've been communicated to me months ago rather than just leaving me hanging. I wouldn't be writing this now if there had been interactive communication. You guys have got to do better especially with the model 3 about to ramp up production.

One last thing. While at the service center dropping off my car the same service advisor I had such a disappointing experience with had the balls to look me in the face and tell me he'd figured out what was causing the vibration. Before he could say anything more I cut him off and said "you mean the radiator ducting that I told you about back in February but you ignored?" He just stood there with a confused look on his face.

They seriously need to have a ban on hiring anybody who's ever worked for a franchise car dealership. Your experience sounds just like every service advisor experience I've had at local dealerships here, where I knew what the problem and fix was before the technicians and advisors because I had put in the time to research the issue, but you're instantly discounted as some sort of bumbling idiot. Then again, I work in the IT services industry, and it's hard for us to not do the same thing for people who's systems we are repairing, so.. lol.

A great/unfortunate story -- though I must say I've been pretty darn happy with all the service I've gotten from the Bellevue, WA SC. It looks like you have 2 SCs in GA which are pretty close together? Maybe move your business to the other one and give it a try?

One last thing. While at the service center dropping off my car the same service advisor I had such a disappointing experience with had the balls to look me in the face and tell me he'd figured out what was causing the vibration. Before he could say anything more I cut him off and said "you mean the radiator ducting that I told you about back in February but you ignored?" He just stood there with a confused look on his face.

So was it actually the ducting? :) What did your service invoice list that they did? (Where parts replaced?)

So was it actually the ducting? :) What did your service invoice list that they did? (Where parts replaced?)

Recommend installing an updated radiator ducting to reduce the chance of vibrations at highway speed.

Corrections: Fascia Assembly - Front - 2nd Generation

Removed front fascia assembly. Removed and installed updated upper grill cover.

Test drove vehicle at speed limit to confirm vibration is not present.

Part Quantity 1

GRILLE COVER UPR, FR FASCIA MS2

(1057847-00-E)

I had this problem with vibration while I was going about 70 to 80 km/hr on the highway. I spoke to another Tesla model S owner about it here in Tsawwassen BC and he told me that the problem was to do with Lane Departure Warning being activated. He said that I must have drifted over the lane marking on the highway causing a vibration in the steering wheel. So I turned off the Lane Departure Warning system and then proceeded to go over the same area where I had experienced vibration before and I purposely drove right on the lane marking line and I got no vibration.

If this solves your vibration problem you can thank Peter in Tsawwassen BC for his input.

I have a similar issue on my Dec 2016 built AP2 model S. I get significant vibrations above 80mph. Wonder if it is the same thing... Any idea when the new part went into effect or if there is a service bulletin related to this?

I had this problem with vibration while I was going about 70 to 80 km/hr on the highway. I spoke to another Tesla model S owner about it here in Tsawwassen BC and he told me that the problem was to do with Lane Departure Warning being activated. He said that I must have drifted over the lane marking on the highway causing a vibration in the steering wheel. So I turned off the Lane Departure Warning system and then proceeded to go over the same area where I had experienced vibration before and I purposely drove right on the lane marking line and I got no vibration.

If this solves your vibration problem you can thank Peter in Tsawwassen BC for his input.

The problem with my Model S was not related to lane departure warning. I'm familiar with how lane departure works and the feeling you get on the steering well. The vibration I experienced was caused by the 2nd generation radiator ducting as indicated in the service notes I posted.

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman
I have a similar issue on my Dec 2016 built AP2 model S. I get significant vibrations above 80mph. Wonder if it is the same thing... Any idea when the new part went into effect or if there is a service bulletin related to this?

Not certain exactly when the new part went into effect but it had to be fairly recently since my service center didn't know about it until a few weeks ago.

I thought they put foam in the front bumper to fix this issue. There is a service bulletin. My car is fine but I've read several owners getting this addressed. Sad it took Tesla so long. My Dec 2016 car just got its first 12V battery replacement <9 months into service. I asked the tech how a 12V could die so quickly and he just shrugged. He, at first, assumed I had a dashcam and other devices but I just have a normal car. My leaf is 3 years old and has the factory 12V. Tesla clearly has a design issue with the 12V system but fails to address it. Sometimes I really wonder. I'm lucky to have Tesla Highland Park as a service center because they fixed the 12V when I showed up in 25 minutes and had my car washed and interior vacuumed within 45 minutes of my arrival. Their staff gave my daughter a really cool Tesla coloring book and we played around with a Model X (much more comfortable for those >6ft). Its such a mixed bag sometimes with Tesla....

I thought they put foam in the front bumper to fix this issue. There is a service bulletin. My car is fine but I've read several owners getting this addressed. Sad it took Tesla so long. My Dec 2016 car just got its first 12V battery replacement <9 months into service. I asked the tech how a 12V could die so quickly and he just shrugged. He, at first, assumed I had a dashcam and other devices but I just have a normal car. My leaf is 3 years old and has the factory 12V. Tesla clearly has a design issue with the 12V system but fails to address it. Sometimes I really wonder. I'm lucky to have Tesla Highland Park as a service center because they fixed the 12V when I showed up in 25 minutes and had my car washed and interior vacuumed within 45 minutes of my arrival. Their staff gave my daughter a really cool Tesla coloring book and we played around with a Model X (much more comfortable for those >6ft). Its such a mixed bag sometimes with Tesla....
I believe applying foam was a stop-gap fix. Replacing GRILLE COVER UPR, FR FASCIA MS2 with Part # 1057847-00-E is a permanent fix.