Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jeez, they really need to upgrade the X and S. It's a $100,000 car with a computer slower than my iPhone 6.
On par with first gen iPad if not slower.

I missed AP2 by 2 weeks in 2016. My 2018 just went into production last night. I wonder if I am luckier this time around. Well I guess I should say I hope I am going to be lucky this time around too ;)

Last edited:
so I was pondering some nonsensical (at the time) changes in some software parts on the cid and now if we consider that there are no plans to update instrument cluster at all and only update cid internals - it all starts to make a lot better sense. And in that case retrofittability appears to be not out of the question at all, at least for ap2+ cars (different connectors on ap1 and below apparently if the whole unit needs changing, should be totally ok if they redesigned just the daughterboard with cpu and emmc to fit into old housing).

On par with first gen iPad if not slower.

I missed AP2 by 2 weeks in 2016. My 2018 just went into production last night. I wonder if I am luckier this time around. Well I guess I should say I hope I am going to be lucky this time around too ;)

Of course it’s all speculation at this point - but it sounds like if this is all true, your car should have the new chipset.... others have said that cars with this spec have shown up in the last week or two...... Best of luck!

• Informative
Reactions: MisterTwo and outie
One of the comments in that YouTube comparison video states that there are s/x beta users currently testing the vector map upgrade. Is this true and does anyone here have any experience with this?

I am taking delivery of my MS 100D this weekend and I will report back with any insight into MCU performance improvements.

VIN: 2/16, Production Start: 3/3, Production Complete: 3/10, Delivery 3/17

One of the comments in that YouTube comparison video states that there are s/x beta users currently testing the vector map upgrade. Is this true and does anyone here have any experience with this?

I am taking delivery of my MS 100D this weekend and I will report back with any insight into MCU performance improvements.

VIN: 2/16, Production Start: 3/3, Production Complete: 3/10, Delivery 3/17
vector maps do not help in satellite view for obvious reasons.

Also this Vector Maps incoming?

Reactions: Arrowpine
I was the OP who posted about the vanity lights as a new finding (ordered 1/31 production 2/23).

The MCU is the only thing I dont like about the car. it's super slow and laggy. When I saw the lighted vanity the first thing I thought was maybe they rolled it in with some other under the hood changes like a new MCU. Sadly, my screen is as slow as a 4 year old Model S, which is about as slow as my first gen iPad. :(

If they do switch to intel, I hope its a drop in architecture where they can somehow swap out the MCU (for a small cost). It's the only thing that makes this futuristic car feel dated.

Maybe this refreshed MCU upgrade will be part of the speculated free system upgrade needed to allow FSD for those that paid for it circa 2016 and sat 2+ years with not much progress on the AP1>AP2 EAP and FSD?
If the current hardware is insufficient for FSD, then everyone who bought the vehicle equipped with ap2.0 hardware should be eligible for a free upgrade, not just those who paid for FSD. The car was described as having FSD capable hardware which can be enabled via software for a certain price ($1000 discount if paid early). That statement is likely part of the original purchase consideration. So if it is known that a hw upgrade is required, then everyone should get an upgrade so the car is as described when purchased, they will still have to pay to get the sw enabled afterward. Whether Tesla can then raise the FSD price for those who haven't activated it then is debatable, some may argue they can do so for owners who haven't bought the car yet but cannot for those who already owned the car, as the premise of being able to enable certain feature (FSD) at a given price (price when car was purchased) was part of the original description and decision for the purchase.

Now back the mcu, we do not have the right for upgrade, but it sure would be nice.

Last edited:
I picked my model x yesterday in Auckland - has the illuminated mirrors and this is the browser info

Attachments

• 8DBF36D4-7A0B-4B7B-B749-DCEC9B827135.jpeg
    8DBF36D4-7A0B-4B7B-B749-DCEC9B827135.jpeg
    503.1 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 152
The browser info shows ARMv7, whereas the intel platform should b x86, so my bet is that it wasn't updated

agreed just thought of that too! that said, the poster is in australia so his new X was probably in production over a month ago. it would be interesting to hear from people who are taking deliveries in the next week or two on the west coast..

Let's just focus on the MCU (not FSD stuff please) and we should be looking at cars produced ~ March 1st. If you just picked up your car these days it means it's very likely produced earlier than March 1st. And if you are overseas... even much earlier.

If the current hardware is insufficient for FSD, then everyone who bought the vehicle equipped with ap2.0 hardware should be eligible for a free upgrade, not just those who paid for FSD. The car was described as having FSD capable hardware which can be enabled via software for a certain price ($1000 discount if paid early). That statement is likely part of the original purchase consideration. So if it is known that a hw upgrade is required, then everyone should get an upgrade so the car is as described when purchased, they will still have to pay to get the sw enabled afterward. Whether Tesla can then raise the FSD price for those who haven't activated it then is debatable, some may argue they can do so for owners who haven't bought the car yet but cannot for those who already owned the car, as the premise of being able to enable certain feature (FSD) at a given price (price when car was purchased) was part of the original description and decision for the purchase.

You're absolutely right. Knowing that you can upgrade to FSD for $4,000 is a part of the purchasing decision for the entire vehicle. Nobody is forcing Tesla to list a price. If purchasing FSD with delivery for $3,000 guarantees hardware upgrades, but FSD for $4,000 after delivery doesn't, they should simply add: "$4,000 after delivery. Upgrade price subject to change." As it stands now, both prices are presented in the exact same manner in the same location and a consumer could expect the sole difference to be a $1,000 "discount" for prepayment. All the other conditions, like software validation and regulatory approval are identical.

Remember, most customers aren't on forums like this discussing possible hardware changes. They don't know what a DrivePX2 is and they don't care. All they know is they bought a car that will eventually offer FSD for $4,000 (on top of EAP).

So has anyone actually confirmed that they have the new Intel x86 MCU? I read this entire thread and haven't seen anything yet.

My MX order from mid-January has been delayed and still hasn't entered production yet - if it means I'll get the new MCU then I guess I'm glad! I just need confirmation.

So has anyone actually confirmed that they have the new Intel x86 MCU? I read this entire thread and haven't seen anything yet.

My MX order from mid-January has been delayed and still hasn't entered production yet - if it means I'll get the new MCU then I guess I'm glad! I just need confirmation.
It looks like the switch hasn't happened yet (false alarm), the video that was posted was nowhere near as snappy as the 3. But I'm hearing rumors here on TMC and on Reddit that a change is imminent from people who have reliable sources.

I have a 3 and it's a night and day difference. Every time I drive my 3 there are two things I have to get used to when I get back in the S: the speedometer location and the screen responsiveness. I never truly felt that the MCU in my S was particularly slow, until I got my 3. Now it just feels really dated...

Reactions: pdxgibby