Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... I have some potentially very disappointing news for old MCU users.

I'll let you draw conclusions yourself from this comment found in a recent firmware:

Code:
/* Overrides for platforms that have newer WebKit versions which can parse thise section
       and new special font handling for differences since the original Qt WebKit. */

What does that mean

• Funny
Reactions: Plug Life

I'll let you draw conclusions yourself from this comment found in a recent firmware:

Code:
/* Overrides for platforms that have newer WebKit versions which can parse thise section

You are only supposed to bring us happy & exciting news...lol

Code:
but what does it all mean @verygreen? Also did you sell your car?

Took delivery 2/14 of Vin 239XXX. Very clearly don't have the upgraded MCU. Disappointed to have missed this by just a month....but I guess that's just part of owning a Tesla. Frankly, it doesn't detract from it being an awesome car, since I probably only touch the screen 2-3 times a day for maybe 15 seconds total. Fingers crossed for a free upgrade, though.

If I am understanding it right, they are going to make newer platforms (the CPU/GPU in the MCU) respond like the older one. Potentially hiding features that the newer platforms could support that the older ones does not.

I read it the other way around, like this:

you're not getting new browser , if you have old MCU

Perhaps verygreen can comment. The followup question is, how long has that comment been in the firmware code? Could it date back to the original?

I am seriously considering losing my deposit......and wait another couple of months to get the newer MCU. I bet the resale would reflect that price if I plan to sell my vehicle years later.

If that's the case, why dont you take the delivery and pay for a new MCU out of your pocket - it wold cost you about the same but you'll have the car.

They did the same for me about a month ago, but after guys on this forum pointed out the REMAN part number, I called SC and requested a brand new MCU - and they swapped REMAN for a brand new one (now I wish I would've waited a bit).
Hmm... Planning to go in for yearly service in about a month. Do you think they would honor another swap if I complain about the reman part? Might get lucky and get one of the new MCUs. How did you approach the SC? Should they not have replaced failing screen with a remanufactured part? Thx