Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sure hope Tesla has already developed a clear and concise MCU retrofit (and repair) policy. And communicates it to all the SCs, like they did with the LTE upgrade (eventually).

Otherwise the unknowing SAs are going to get blindsided with these requests, so until a policy is announced, please be considerate and respectful to the SAs until they figure it out. It could take a while.

All this talk of demanding retrofits after the fact, no matter how close anyone is or was to the cutoff, sounds a lot like entitlement. They have to draw the line somewhere and there will always be people just over and just under that line. That's life, deal with it.

Most certainly. But the problem is two fold. Older MCUs run at considerably higher temps. The other factor is the repeated rewriting caused by logging and other functions. They haven’t really done much to minimize the write cycles, but the newer MCUs have a lot better cooling ability.
it's very likely they bumped emmc sizes just like they did with model3, so it'll be less of a problem in this regard as well. (model3 emmc 32G, model S/X pre-update: 8G)

I sure hope Tesla has already developed a clear and concise MCU retrofit (and repair) policy. And communicates it to all the SCs, like they did with the LTE upgrade (eventually).

Otherwise the unknowing SAs are going to get blindsided with these requests, so until a policy is announced, please be considerate and respectful to the SAs until they figure it out. It could take a while.

All this talk of demanding retrofits after the fact, no matter how close anyone is or was to the cutoff, sounds a lot like entitlement. They have to draw the line somewhere and there will always be people just over and just under that line. That's life, deal with it.
i agree with everything you said. I bought the car a few weeks ago, because i love driving it. New things are always coming down the pike and it has to start and stop somewhere

hey TMC members, I'm an upcoming model x 75D owner here in toronto canada.

I placed my order Jan 31, 2018. confirmed 3 days later.

I don't have the exact info on when it entered production, it was mid to late Feb.

it's still in transit to toronto for an expected delivery date of March 28.

VIN 089941

just like so many others here, I'm quite anxious to know if I got the new intel MCU vs old?

has anyone decoded the formula to determine this? VIN? production date? etc.

I have emailed my DS, no response yet.

Thanks all the wonderful members of TMC for being so passionate about tesla and sharing info!

I called SC and explained my position that in a car, which I brought brand new, was a brand new MCU that failed under warranty and it is just reasonable to expect the replacement of that MCU to be brand new, not remanufactured. They offered me one extra year of warranty on the REMAN MCU which I declined and they said, ok, bring it in. It only took one phone call. But, if I were you, I would call now to lodge the complain get the ball rolling, get SC to commit to replacement, then wait a month or so to make sure new model MCU trickle down to SCs

Let us know how this turns out as we're all curious. It's a bit of a grey zone as I'm sure Tesla's legal agreement says something like they will replace a warranty item with an "equal or equivalent" item, not necessarily new. Additionally, the new MCU appears to come with additional hardware like new mirrors and other unknown parts (wiring harnesses, connectors, etc.) as well so not sure if it's totally feasible to do so as well.

DAErik just launched a new video with some of the known enhancements.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
hey TMC members, I'm an upcoming model x 75D owner here in toronto canada.

I placed my order Jan 31, 2018. confirmed 3 days later.

I don't have the exact info on when it entered production, it was mid to late Feb.

it's still in transit to toronto for an expected delivery date of March 28.

VIN 089941

just like so many others here, I'm quite anxious to know if I got the new intel MCU vs old?

has anyone decoded the formula to determine this? VIN? production date? etc.

I have emailed my DS, no response yet.

Thanks all the wonderful members of TMC for being so passionate about tesla and sharing info!
So far it’d appear cars entered production on 2/28 would get it. Anything before is a hit/miss.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
One thing I don’t see mentioning here that DaErik did is that it looks like the new MCU also allows these newer cars to use the Phone Key option? @verygreen?
Yeah, here's the screenshot from the video mentioning "phone key":
Capture.JPG

I don't think he meant that it has phone key enabled already but that it might be coming.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I'm willing to bet the crossover point was VIN 245000 - All the Intel MCU cars have VINs above this number.
VINs are assigned when ordered, by users or Tesla themselves, not when the car is manufactured.

Tried asking politely on an inventory car and they said kindly that software updates enhance the existing MCU. Got a $10k adjustment on the inventory one...should I cancel?
I will be trying hard to get the new MCU, but not $10k hard.

• Love
Reactions: GaryW and lunitiks