Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you refuse a custom ordered vehicle from Tesla to reorder one with this upgrade, what is Tesla supposed to do with that car.

Could cost them many thousands of dollars because you changed your mind.

Who cares. Just as others have argued here. This is the tesla way, live with it. Tesla decided to do it this way, theyll have to live with some people refusing delivery

I bought my car DESPITE it having a processor from 2011. I accepted delivery yesterday because I figured it wouldn't be a difficult retrofit and be simply a matter of cost.

To deny this to existing cars when they implemented it with zero notice seems pretty crazy to me.

I am new to Tesla and I love the car, the tech and environmental aspect of EV's. I am coming from a Audi Q7 DieselGate scandal. I am picking up my S75D on Saturday in Toronto. Heard from my DS that I missed it by a day. I was debating re-ordering as I am a techie at heart but decided to go ahead as I would also walk away from the 14,000 Ontario EV rebate which was changed on Mar 9th to exclude any cars above MSRP of 75K. Just too much $ to walk away from.

What I did do is switched to a 36 month lease rather than a outright purchase. Can only imagine what three years will bring to the EV space. At the very least a refresh for some of the Tesla models and definitely more competition. So for the next three years I am just going to enjoy car.

When you refuse a custom ordered vehicle from Tesla to reorder one with this upgrade, what is Tesla supposed to do with that car.

HMM....

what is poor tesla to do with the built but unsold car......

put it in inventory where they have had almost zero cars available for prespective buyers that are not picky on specific option choices and would rather receive delivery of car in sub 2 weeks vs 2-4 months.

put it in the showrooms as they cycle those cars all the time.

put it in the loaner/service fleet (probably go to showroom use, then service loaner, before put for sale)

I think they have MANY viable uses.

Also, we are talking about VERY small numbers of vehicles that are not sold to the initial custom order buyer.

This is not Honda selling 250K units of CIVIC's and all of sudden they have cars sitting in a lot.

TESLA has been dealing with this quite fine. They sell very expensive cars with no discount margin, no dealerships that resell or share profits, the model x and s have built in HIGH profit margins. this is how TESLA chose to do sales. if they go under, it's not because custom order vehicles are canceled.

Reactions: bhzmark and outie
Bummer. Just picked up my MX Feb 28, has the old MCU. Is that just a chip change or is it integrated onto the board? It is like buying a new computer that is outdated out of the box.

no 100% confirmation if TESLA will make an upgrade or retrofit to get the new hardware. what they are saying right now, is NO. maybe that will change.

i would agree with your comment, it's like buying a NEW computer and it's outdated out of the box.

Reactions: Arrowpine
I am new to Tesla and I love the car, the tech and environmental aspect of EV's. I am coming from a Audi Q7 DieselGate scandal. I am picking up my S75D on Saturday in Toronto. Heard from my DS that I missed it by a day. I was debating re-ordering as I am a techie at heart but decided to go ahead as I would also walk away from the 14,000 Ontario EV rebate which was changed on Mar 9th to exclude any cars above MSRP of 75K. Just too much $ to walk away from.

What I did do is switched to a 36 month lease rather than a outright purchase. Can only imagine what three years will bring to the EV space. At the very least a refresh for some of the Tesla models and definitely more competition. So for the next three years I am just going to enjoy car.

converting outright purchase to a 3 year lease is an option for sure.....but 3 year lease is quite expensive when I looked at the initial numbers. I"m in toronto as well BTW.

my logic for spending so much on the vehicle on an outright purchase was the following
  • free supercharging for life of vehicle (lots of driving in the family, lots of roadtrips)
  • 14,000 EV rebate
  • and 8 year , unlimited mileage powertrain warranty
  • keep the vehicle minimum 8+ years to maximize the ROI on the purchase.
  • put 500K on the vehicle with minimal maintenance costs
  • obvious huge fuel savings
with a lease, I'm limited on number of KM's driven, 3 years with very high payments is not long enough to lower the TCO

I'm bummed, because as soooo many other members have voiced, the only real pain point I had in the car was the outdated MCU, I could deal with other updates that are probably coming eventually......but to have this very big update that will most likely be the basis for new features to be available via OTA updates to happen during my order, and I miss it by days, and I haven't even received the vehicle yet.....no go for me.

I'm venting. :) therapy

Not sure if it's worth cancelling a delivery over the MCU. This is just the start of all the new tech in Model3 being brought over to ModelS

We still have the following to come over the next year:

New model3 motors (much more efficient, improved range, less heat)
2170 batteries (supercharger v3)
Interior refresh

All of which could be considered pretty major and a reason to be unhappy if you just missed them in your car. The ModelS in a year's time is going to be very different to one produced today.

Reactions: MarkS22
Hmmmm - this is a difficult decision. I am supposed to pick up my highly spec’d x100D in a couple of weeks - built early Feb and shipped to Europe so will be old MCU.

The real risk I see is the Tegra platform is frozen whilst the new x86 64 platform continues to be developed. OTA updates are the ‘essence’ of Tesla cars and why most owner put up with being Beta testers. I doubt Tesla will give any meaningful assurances on this.

The thought of driving off the forecourt with an obsolete spec will produce buyers remorse. I disagree with many on here - it is not just another upgrade like an interior or bigger battery - the MCU and AP hardware are the two fundamental bits of hardware that are responsible for delivering the benefits of OTA updates. Finding out in a few months the car is frozen out of that upgrade pathway would be more than irritating.

Don’t worry about Tesla - they will pocket my deposit (£4,000 here in the UK) and still sell the car at list as the supply of ‘stock’ vehicles is practically zero here in the UK.

I emailed the SC about this today and have had zero response - they have always responded within the hour previously - so I guess they are working out how to deal with this.

I expect I will ditch the deposit and reorder - and take my chances without the Biohazard filter for a few more months :)

Reactions: mdelrossi
Ok guys.. just to counter balance this a bit...
Is this new MCU really that kind of crazy big improvement in reality? I mean, if you consider that the browser is never used, then the other improvements are not that massive? When Vector maps is released to the old MCU, the maps will be much improved in speed and more than acceptable.
Really looking forward to see what improvements we can see from a software perspective for the old MCU the coming months.

If it's anything like the Model 3 MCU, it's a quantum leap in responsiveness.

Given how stretched Tesla is, I don't see why they'd spend any resources optimizing for the old MCU.

It goes into their inventory system. That’s how I got my car — original orderer delayed long enough for me to get a 70kWh battery with AP2 (those two options never overlapped), and then when the time came refused delivery for reasons unknown.

Given how stretched Tesla is, I don't see why they'd spend any resources optimizing for the old MCU.

From seeing people show of their 2018.10.4 screen I would not call it a quantum leap no. Better yes but it is not an insane difference. Even to me who are a tech junkie it seems insane to deny delivery for this. I do not want to know how much money these people spend on their other electronics to make them be okay to use if they would take a 3k loss on a screen in their car due to it being a bit slower. Im guessing they are all sitting with 10k computers and 5k in screens since that is something you actually use a lot.

Why wouldn’t they optimize? Mostly they wouldn’t need to optimize for a specific hardware but rather optimize in general so both MCUs would benefit.

From seeing people show of their 2018.10.4 screen I would not call it a quantum leap no. Better yes but it is not an insane difference. Even to me who are a tech junkie it seems insane to deny delivery for this. I do not want to know how much money these people spend on their other electronics to make them be okay to use if they would take a 3k loss on a screen in their car due to it being a bit slower. Im guessing they are all sitting with 10k computers and 5k in screens since that is something you actually use a lot

might not be an "insane" difference to you today. but the question is 7 year old chipset, vs new. future development? we can debate the "what if's" all day long, what's the point. everyone has different situations (some already have enjoyed their car for months/years and this topic seems old or silly to them, others have not even received their order and feel like cancel and reorder is the best option)

tesla believes in releases changes at any time....not on a calendar model year release schedule, no need to debate it, that's how tesla rolls.....i believe most people will understand that months after receiving a car, changes could happen.....and you have to accept it.....but to have changes happen during build and delivery phase, and some people receive updates and some don't, makes no sense.

I honestly believe tesla will roll deposits to a new order. it's just the right thing to do. as they will sell the inventory car at full pop.

If this is helpful to anybody, I just received word from my delivery advisor that my soon to be delivered model s does have the new MCU. Very relieved! Although I feel for the people that missed it by a few days.

Ordered 2/20
Confirmed 2/23
VIN 2/23 249XXX
In production 3/6-3/11
End of March delivery in Houston TX

75D, Pearl white, white interior, EAP

Vector maps are coming to old MCU. Those will improve a lot. Model 3 already have the vector maps which increase the delta in responsiveness.

Of course the new hardware will be an improvement, but some comments here are way over the top and exaggerating. The current MCU is fine for what it is and personally not sure who would use a browser in the car anyway. I certainly never would.

It's a great upgrade but I would not cancel delivery based on it. I want more than just this upgrade. A new MCU + interior upgrade + rear facelift of Model S and CCS charging port in Europe would however in combination get me interested :)

I'm in the same boat as well...Ontario resident here... I finances my car for 8y as well. I got it in December just in case the rebate was gone. I am glad to see that I did make the right choice and got the rebate for my 2017 November build. But it is bittersweet that the MCU is the slowest and worst thing about the current model S. This upgrade would just be absolutely perfect for all the 2017/16 Model S making them future proof for the next 4y or more. I agree that the biggest fear is that we will now be denied upgrades since the new cars use a completely different chipset and architecture.

I ended up financing as well due to the mileage limitations. I have already driven close to 10K since I got the car in mid December. There is no way for me to afford a lease for this car at my current stage in life. Finance is the only option that makes sense.

I guess we will now feel the same pain as those who missed AP 2.5 by a week or month. Here is hoping that when FSD comes out, the car WILL require the new MCU and Tesla ends up offering choices to update our cars. I am not asking for a free upgrade, I just hope we will be given a reasonable upgrade path.

converting outright purchase to a 3 year lease is an option for sure.....but 3 year lease is quite expensive when I looked at the initial numbers. I"m in toronto as well BTW.

my logic for spending so much on the vehicle on an outright purchase was the following
  • free supercharging for life of vehicle (lots of driving in the family, lots of roadtrips)
  • 14,000 EV rebate
with a lease, I'm limited on number of KM's driven, 3 years with very high payments is not long enough to lower the TCO

I'm bummed, because as soooo many other members have voiced, the only real pain point I had in the car was the outdated MCU, I could deal with other updates that are probably coming eventually......but to have this very big update that will most likely be the basis for new features to be available via OTA updates to happen during my order, and I miss it by days, and I haven't even received the vehicle yet.....no go for me.

• 14,000 EV rebate

Unfortunately I had to decline delivery this morning for my P100D X, VIN 900xxx.
Production start date: 2/28
Production finish date: 3/13
Old MCU, and some pretty bad build quality problems that service offered to paint over. Welds on the bottom passenger frame were especially bad on both sides, and immediately visible.

MVIMG_20180316_122417.jpg

I am supposed to pick up a late 2017 MX100D with 16K adjustments end of this month. After this whole new MCU debacle, I was rethinking to opt for a new MX. My OA agreed to transfer the deposit to a new vehicle but then I am reconsidering going back to the older vehicle. A 16K price adjustment does not justify faster browser. My Samsung fridge has oversized Ipad with browser and I barely use it. I think, I will stick with the 16K price adjusted vehicle specially when it is the exact specs which I would have ordered any ways.

Reactions: HA3AP