Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I certainly admit that I am not an expert on Tesla production and logistics, but...

Given that I have a vehicle on a truck right now for delivery, I’ve read everything I could get my hands on abut this issue. It seems pretty clear to me that VIN has absolutely nothing to do with whether you got a new MCU or not. Production date does. As a very general rule:

Were you produced in February? Old MCU.
Were you produced in March? New MCU.

VIN are not produced in order. Sometimes not even close to in order.

I wonder if it is not only date of production that is determinative (ie Feb or March) but where you are shipping to? I seem to recall reading some posts that even early March production may not have MCU for cars designated for certain regional locations? (Is that posssible?)
I also recall reading something about a Canadian rep stating that Canadian cars won’t receive the updated MCU until June production (or was it June delivery?)
Anyone in Canada receive an updated MCU yet?

From what I've read of people who have received the new MCU (and who have not), your geographic location affected your production date, not that the geographic location directly affected you getting the new MCU. Some locations simply are MUCH slower to ship to, and therefore, they are still seeing deliveries of the old MCU. Geographic location seems to STRONGLY influence when you enter production as well, much more so that VIN sequence. The seem to group production for certain areas of the country and world.

EDIT: If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But personally, I still have not seen an account of a car that was produced in March (with 3/18 stamped in the door) that has the old MCU. I have seen one account where the owner understood he was produced in March, but the door was stamped 2/18, and he had the old MCU.

Reactions: johnx
I just took delivery 3/22 in VA with a car that supposedly came off the line 3/5, and it does have the new MCU. I can not locate the energy saving mode no matter what I try. I check under display like the manual states and only have an option to control the screen. I cannot locate the option on any menu and would like to use it for when parked at airports. Any ideas what I could be missing here? Thanks

Congratulations on your car.

My car was built in Late Feb. Came off 28th ish. old processor. Still have not had delivery. would like to know how my car just sat there and all these other cars are passing me by.

Reactions: markn455
Congratulations on your car.

My car was built in Late Feb. Came off 28th ish. old processor. Still have not had delivery. would like to know how my car just sat there and all these other cars are passing me by.

I feel your pain.
My car started production on Feb 27th.
OLD CPU.
I am in Toronto and It still has not made it past Chicago.
To say I am upset is an understatement.
I don't like playing the Tesla lottery game.

From what I've read of people who have received the new MCU (and who have not), your geographic location affected your production date, not that the geographic location directly affected you getting the new MCU. Some locations simply are MUCH slower to ship to, and therefore, they are still seeing deliveries of the old MCU. Geographic location seems to STRONGLY influence when you enter production as well, much more so that VIN sequence. The seem to group production for certain areas of the country and world.

EDIT: If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But personally, I still have not seen an account of a car that was produced in March (with 3/18 stamped in the door) that has the old MCU. I have seen one account where the owner understood he was produced in March, but the door was stamped 2/18, and he had the old MCU.

I suspect you're right and that probably accounts for the discrepancy between my experience / VIN and others. My car, if I remember correctly, went into production in February and took until mid/late March to travel by train and truck down to South Florida. I saw other people who were assigned VINs close to mine but their car didn't go into production until early / mid March and are on the west coast and got the new MCU.

I was due to pick-up new Model X next week, but a phone call to Tesla confirmed my fear the it has the old MCU. After much discussing I have managed to cancel existing order and order new X for June delivery. Cost me a bit extra, but I think worth it to get the latest MCU. Side benefit was I could change color, as I had been having doubts about my original choice. As I am away on business 8 out of the 11 weeks to expected delivery, the delay does not really concern me.

Now really looking forward to the new model X, while if I had not made the change, I am sure I would have regretted for the duration of ownership.

Interesting comment from salesman that FSD is expected in USA in about 18 months, but due to legislation will take longer in UK where I live.

Hi everybody. The UK is included in the MCU upgrade!! I’m a new member. My S 75D finished build on 3/14/18 and is currently on the train. I received this news from Tesla UK this afternoon.
“Hi John,
Customer has the new MCU -
Kind regards,"
I’m very very pleased!!

I feel your pain.
My car started production on Feb 27th.
OLD CPU.
I am in Toronto and It still has not made it past Chicago.
To say I am upset is an understatement.
I don't like playing the Tesla lottery game.
I am also in the same boat. In Toronto. Scheduled for tomorrow Sat 24 until I got a call saying it’s still in Chicago but was being prepped to ship. Rescheduled to next Tue. Will see if it gets delayed further. A few days is not the end of the world. Same production completion date Feb 28. Was told old mcu.