Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S&X Price Adjustments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not a small number of people. It's everyone who has an S or X and is trying to sell in the used market. Its basically everyone with an S or X.

Pissed off customers go out of their way to tell others how crappy something is 10x more. They are going to also affect indirect sales by people not recommending Tesla to their friends or family.

It also cheapens the product. It's like saying fool I built a $50k car and sold it to you for a $100k you sucker. It puts a big dent in Tesla's brand and image.

So I dont think the small number of increased sales will make up for this. Remember an $80k car is still out of reach of most people. These are their top tier customers, the ones that supported the company into existence in the beginning. Someone didn't think this one through. Elon is an idiot in so many ways.....
Says a bunch of peasants like you and I. He don't give a f. The cars sell themselves.

Reactions: Yoitskenn
Says a bunch of peasants like you and I. He don't give a f. The cars sell themselves.
For some time. It’ll catch up to him if he doesn’t change. His big mouth and incessant need to constantly post dumb stuff on social media has already tarnished Teslas image.

This pricing structure is so just like him. Uncalculated and knee jerk reactions. He has no people skills and doesn’t know how to win people over.

Didn’t he just set up the standard range version. Seriously he didn’t even think that one through. He spun it all up and canned it. What a waste of resources and poorly thought out plan.

He’s never going to deliver the roadster. The truck is like a decade late. Tesla just needs a better CEO. Maybe one who doesn’t challenge Zuckerberg in a fight and argues dumb stuff in twitter…or I mean X…another idiotic name change move. Maybe he needs to focus a little better in improving Tesla.

I actually have a friend who bought a BMW because he said he can’t support Elon. He was in the market for a luxury EV. His BMW won’t be worth 50% in 6 months. Good for him. I’m sure there are many like my friend out there.

Last edited:
For some time. It’ll catch up to him if he doesn’t change. His big mouth and incessant need to constantly post dumb stuff on social media has already tarnished Teslas image.

This pricing structure is so just like him. Uncalculated and knee jerk reactions. He has no people skills and doesn’t know how to win people over.

Didn’t he just set up the standard range version. Seriously he didn’t even think that one through. He spun it all up and canned it. What a waste of resources and poorly thought out plan.

He’s never going to deliver the roadster. The truck is like a decade late. Tesla just needs a better CEO. Maybe one who doesn’t challenge Zuckerberg in a fight and argues dumb stuff in twitter…or I mean X…another idiotic name change move. Maybe he needs to focus a little better in improving Tesla.

I actually have a friend who bought a BMW because he said he can’t support Elon. He was in the market for a luxury EV. His BMW won’t be worth 50% in 6 months. Good for him. I’m sure there are many like my friend out there.

Who cares? It's just a car. It's just a company. There are other things to worry about. Cars. Are. Not. Assets. Your Tesla depreciates. BMWs depreciate. All "luxury" cars depreciate.

Nope not the same. Rebates are promotional, for a short period of time. The better thing to compare would be say all F150 trucks are now going to be cheaper by $20k everywhere. It's just the new regular price. It makes the vehicle feel cheap and way overpriced. It means they were selling way way way over all this time.

Also rebates dont hurt the used market long term. Maybe just for a quick short term but definitely not long term. The reason is people know the prices will come right back to where they were. What Tesla has done is kill the used market long term.
I disagree. The rebates vary, but they were pretty much a permenant thing before the pandemic, and are coming back to it. It is just the way the manufacturer adjusts the MSRP based on excess invenotry without adjusting the MSRP. Tesla does the same thing, but without rebates. And I thank them for that.

Also, rebates effect the used market. You bet that used vehicle prices are adjusted down because of the rebates. No reasonable person walks in and pays $5k off new MSRP for a used vehicle when they can get $14k off the new one because of rebates.

Ooh look, bonus cash. Lets play the bonus game... So dumb...

1693601764801.png

Reactions: cusetownusa
We bought this car to keep for a few years knowing the competition will come out with good stuff. In the past the S and X have actually held value relatively well. My wife wants the new Macan EV when it comes out. We needed a car though and the X seemed like a good one to go with for a few years.

But at this rate of depreciation we’re not going to have that option. We’re gonna have to keep this one for a long time to make it financially worth it.

We’re actually not the kind that change cars that often but the emerging EV market that changes the game with so many new options coming.

This is another reason Tesla is going to have to get better. I’ve always liked Porsche and their EVs will be awesome. I already like the Taycan but we were in the market for an SUV.

Yeah Porsche is probably better. They cater to a different kind of customer in a different market segment. My take is Telsa's goal is to flood the world with EVs. You are going to have to drop prices to do that. Also every dollar that goes into customer service is a dollar they can't use to discount the car.

I don't think it is wrong, it is just different. There is no free lunch. The bill has to be paid one way or another. At some point maybe they'll get better at properly pricing the cars for the longer term market. In their defense they went from practically nothing to freaking huge in 10 years.

Can someone please explain the transfer of the FSD to me and how it works here? Now that the Model X is below $80k, how does the transfer of the FSD work in practice? I don't want the FSD to show up on the invoice when I purchase the car so that I can get the $7500. I also want to trade in the old car. Can I do the trade in after purchasing the car? Strange issue, I know, but seems a little like a shell game and I don't want to mess it up. Thanks for any tips/advice.

Yeah Porsche is probably better. They cater to a different kind of customer in a different market segment. My take is Telsa's goal is to flood the world with EVs. You are going to have to drop prices to do that. Also every dollar that goes into customer service is a dollar they can't use to discount the car.

I don't think it is wrong, it is just different. There is no free lunch. The bill has to be paid one way or another.
And some of it is just poor execution and planning by Elon or I should say lack of planning. The guy thought he wanted standard version, prob spent lots of $$$ on the process of creating a new model, engineering, testing, marketing/sales then changed his mind weeks later.

You make it sound like it was perfectly executed to plan.

You’ll see how they will start to lose customers when other companies try to create brand loyalty and image much better.

Sure hope someone from Tesla reads these forums. Right now Musk and Tesla are shitty. I would not recommend to my friends or family. You see they lose sales like this.

My friend wanted an EV BMW and I supported him in his decision. Didn’t even push Tesla on him.

And some of it is just poor execution and planning by Elon or I should say lack of planning. The guy thought he wanted standard version, prob spent lots of $$$ on the process of creating a new model, engineering, testing, marketing/sales then changed his mind weeks later.

You make it sound like it was perfectly executed to plan.

You’ll see how they will start to lose customers when other companies try to create brand loyalty and image much better.

Sure hope someone from Tesla reads these forums. Right now Musk and Tesla are shitty. I would not recommend to my friends or family. You see they lose sales like this.

My friend wanted an EV BMW and I supported him in his decision. Didn’t even push Tesla on him.
I largely agree. Since all plans are made by humans, no plan is perfectly executed. Did Ford do good raising the Lightning base price from $40k to $60k only to drop to $50k? No, they lost me as a customer because of it, and I loved Ford trucks. How about almost everyone's choice to use the CCS connector only to abandon it later? Hate to own one of those cars in 5 years.

You are right in that he is pissing off people and that is never good. But low prices will make up for a lot of butt hurt in my estimation. Tesla is not a premium car company. It started out that way out of necessity - but I don't think that was ever the plan. I for one am practically terrified the X plaid I just ordered will be a lemon and I'll have to deal with the shitty service. This is my most expensive car purchase by about a factor of 50%. I would not have that concern with a traditional dealer network like Ford uses. And I can't imagine how good Porsche would be as I've never thought myself well off enough to afford one - but my buddy has more than I can count and he is treated like a prince.

I had a lot of doubts about Tesla myself, but the proof is in the pudding. Ford is trying to emulate Tesla in their SW model, their connector design, even their pricing model. Ford does dealer pricing different on EVs. You think they came up with that? No they saw Tesla do it. Also giga-castings are being pursued by other manufacturers.

Nope not the same. Rebates are promotional, for a short period of time. The better thing to compare would be say all F150 trucks are now going to be cheaper by $20k everywhere. It's just the new regular price. It makes the vehicle feel cheap and way overpriced. It means they were selling way way way over all this time.

Also rebates dont hurt the used market long term. Maybe just for a quick short term but definitely not long term. The reason is people know the prices will come right back to where they were. What Tesla has done is kill the used market long term.
Ford dropped $10 for F150 lightning. Many complaints from Ford forum as well :). I guess it's just part of the game

Ford dropped $10 for F150 lightning. Many complaints from Ford forum as well :). I guess it's just part of the game
Try $50k for a Plaid owner. $10k is child’s play lol. Not even the same ballgame.

And if you’re gonna tell me the concept is the same then I’m gonna tell you that everyone on the planet has lied at some point so don’t call anyone a liar. It’s all the same 🤣

Wait until Tesla stock goes to the same level as GM or Ford, then you can say his strategy sucks. Now, Tesla is 15 times bigger than GM or Ford (800 billions). I guess we can't say his strategy sucks at this moment

Wait until Tesla stock goes to the same level as GM or Ford, then you can say his strategy sucks. Now, Tesla is 15 times bigger than GM or Ford (800 billions). I guess we can't say his strategy sucks at this moment
Not at the moment. But it’ll go downhill once consumers have options. Tesla has enjoyed a decade of being the only serious EV and no one to compete with. And a lot of demand.

To sum it up, the conditions were ripe for Tesla. It’s not all Musks genius.

Not at the moment. But it’ll go downhill once consumers have options. Tesla has enjoyed a decade of being the only serious EV and no one to compete with. And a lot of demand.

To sum it up, the conditions were ripe for Tesla. It’s not all Musks genius.
Agree that Tesla got lucky, but who stopped the industry making EV for the last decade? You can say they are dump for that case. Yes, consumers will have more options, but Tesla will still be a leader. Look at GM, Ford, Kia, Hyundai, BWM, Benz, VW, Lucid, Rivian they all offer EVs, but Tesla sill has 65% market share, that's why its stock reflect it. Wallstreet thinks the rest are playing catch up with Tesla, that's why its stock value is so high. At the end of the day, any decision that the company makes, there are pros and cons. In this case, pros is out-weight the cons, that's why they are doing it. The cons here is obvious, they piss off current customers. But the pros they will sell more EVs, expending their market share, put pressure on GM, Ford, Benz and ect....As you can see, Ford had to react with F150 lightning, reduce 10K, loosing billion of dollards on F150 lightning, but still had to reduce the price due to Tesla. Sometime you reduce the price not because you over-price them, it's just putting pressure to your competitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: WNC-MY and posity