Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S&X Price Adjustments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The prices do seem low but who knows with Tesla. They may do yet another cut. But the Plaid in particular is $50k less than the intro price in 2019.

That’s the part that makes me angry. Clearly the plaid was a ridiculous markup from the start. Then they went and marked it another additional huge amount during Covid. Since Tesla is making most of their money from 3 and Y, why would they want to try to rob their 5% of their top tier customers and make them angry.
It’s does make me angry considering I paid over $70k for my 22 MYP (totaled) wife has 23 MYLR for her commute and out road trip car now. With now if you qualify for the rebate it’s almost same price as my 22 MYP.
I’m hoping Quarter end would offer free SC 3 year or 1/2 price or both would make it a sweet deal. I would buy it since I need another vehicle. I’d consider the 23 MXP with 20’s for more range.

I think it's going to be at least a few months for dealers and private sellers to realize what's happened. A bunch of them don't even know the price dropped again and their first inkling will be prospective buyer telling them so.
So what you're saying is to trade in and get a great value before they realize what's going on? ;)

If a person in buying from a flipper and understands whats going on and accepts it that is on them. Dealers marking up their cars huge is also similar to a flipper. A customer can see what MSRP is and see what the dealer is doing and if they accept it's on them.

What we did not see is the MSRPs going up huge during Covid. I am talking manufacturer price here, not dealer price. Only Tesla did that. The BIG problem I have is they should have never grossly robbed their customers.

And yes I am really happy for new cheaper prices! But they should have been like this from the beginning! or close enough. $10k is not so bad. $50k is terrible.

So what you're saying is to trade in and get a great value before they realize what's going on? ;)

If a person in buying from a flipper and understands whats going on and accepts it that is on them. Dealers marking up their cars huge is also similar to a flipper. A customer can see what MSRP is and see what the dealer is doing and if they accept it's on them.

What we did not see is the MSRPs going up huge during Covid. I am talking manufacturer price here, not dealer price. Only Tesla did that. The BIG problem I have is they should have never grossly robbed their customers.

And yes I am really happy for new cheaper prices! But they should have been like this from the beginning! or close enough. $10k is not so bad. $50k is terrible.
So what your saying is to get the ultra red X or S since the color choice is free? I’ll wait till they get some inventory in and take it off their hands for even sweeter deal

Why are people buying cars and treating them like assets...they are, and will always be liabilities, especially EVs. These aren't collectibles. Buy it. Drive it. Enjoy it. I assume you bought it at the best price, at the time of purchase, and If you held out for inevitable price drops amongst cut-throat EV competition, congratulations.
What you are not understanding is when a cars drops this much and this fast you are basically locked in on keeping it a long time.

No one is saying it won’t go down. We just don’t expect $50k in 6-12 months. I actually want to try the new Macan EV when it comes out but thanks to Tesla that won’t be an option now.

Correction for me it’s more like $65k with Tesla cuts being 45k of it and market depreciation being 20k of it. I would be happy with just 20k lost.

Now imagine someone who the car just doesn’t work for anymore and they are not happy with it. So they have to keep it 8 years now? Do you get why people are angry?

Last edited:
Reactions: fishy21
Why are people buying cars and treating them like assets...they are, and will always be liabilities, especially EVs. These aren't collectibles. Buy it. Drive it. Enjoy it. I assume you bought it at the best price, at the time of purchase, and If you held out for inevitable price drops amongst cut-throat EV competition, congratulations.
Perhaps they will be collectibles some day. I am starting to think Tesla is preparing to discontinue the MX and MS. They are starting to move the premium features down to the new M3, and probably soon the MY.

These latest price decreases seem to be an attempt to get the MX under the tax credit limit for SUVs. If that fails to stimulate demand for the MX, or if the tax credit goes away next year, I think the MX and MS may be on the chopping block.

Perhaps they will be collectibles some day. I am starting to think Tesla is preparing to discontinue the MX and MS. They are starting to move the premium features down to the new M3, and probably soon the MY.

These latest price decreases seem to be an attempt to get the MX under the tax credit limit for SUVs. If that fails to stimulate demand for the MX, or if the tax credit goes away next year, I think the MX and MS may be on the chopping block.
That may be true but all makes need their “halo” car. The “halo” car sets the brand image and status which helps sell the lesser models. Otherwise the brand becomes associated with economy and cheap. Which may be fine if that’s what they are after. Then Tesla can be like Kia.

What you are not understanding is when a cars drops this much and this fast you are basically locked in on keeping it a long time.

No one is saying it won’t go down. We just don’t expect $50k in 6-12 months.

So your real beef is the amount dropped, but not so much with the idea of a price drop?

I'm sorry, but that is rather self-serving. I read enough here and on Reddit to see how pervasive this attitude is.

Rather than bicker the details, I'll just add an observation that may help: your life is bigger and will last longer than this car or how long it takes to earn back the loss.

Life provides no guarantee nor entitlements. The longer you take to get over this setback, the more bitterness you will accumulate.

Let it go.

No one is saying it won’t go down. We just don’t expect $50k in 6-12 months. I actually want to try the new Macan EV when it comes out but thanks to Tesla that won’t be an option now.

Correction for me it’s more like $65k with Tesla cuts being 45k of it and market depreciation being 20k of it. I would be happy with just 20k lost.

Now imagine someone who the car just doesn’t work for anymore and they are not happy with it. So they have to keep it 8 years now? Do you get why people are angry?
What you don't understand this is USA free market and capatilism
If I can make money then corporate America will

I lost $21k in MYP no one put a gun to my head and told me to buy it

Every price drop new buyers this is life sooner you understand instead of crying complaining you will be ok

Life to short sometimes you win sometimes you lose

End of comments

Reactions: cusetownusa
So your real beef is the amount dropped, but not so much with the idea of a price drop?

I'm sorry, but that is rather self-serving. I read enough here and on Reddit to see how pervasive this attitude is.

Rather than bicker the details, I'll just add an observation that may help: your life is bigger and will last longer than this car or how long it takes to earn back the loss.

Life provides no guarantee nor entitlements. The longer you take to get over this setback, the more bitterness you will accumulate.

Let it go.
Have you lost $65-$75k in one year from a single car, mostly due to the manufacturer? Until you have I would suggest not telling others how to feel.

Of course the beef is about the amount lost in short time. We all know cars depreciate and we all accept it.

We all come here to vent and maybe even form a plan to do something.

If you don’t like what you are reading I suggest letting this thread go and moving on.

I do thank you however as a general attitude in life that most of the things people get worked up and stressed over won’t matter in the long run. I seriously think this is a great approach to life.

But we get to vent for a few days while we get used to being “locked in” to our cars for the long run.

What you don't understand this is USA free market and capatilism
If I can make money then corporate America will

I lost $21k in MYP no one put a gun to my head and told me to buy it

Every price drop new buyers this is life sooner you understand instead of crying complaining you will be ok

Life to short sometimes you win sometimes you lose

End of comments
The great thing about this country is you get to freely vent and call out bad practices. That’s what we’re doing here.

And honestly $10-$20k is nothing so serious. $60-$70k is. I wouldn’t compare your Y to what some of the S/X guys are feeling. We basically lost an entire value of a Y in 6-12 months.

I paid cash for my MX Plaid, probably at or close to the very peak price, in June 2022, about $155k after sales tax.. But what happens if an X Plaid that has a loan that was purchased at or near the peak is totaled? Will the insurance pay just the current value? Will the unfortunate person who that happens to have to pay off the difference between the insurance settlement and the balance on the loan? I would think so but don't know for sure.

As others have said no one held a gun to our heads and made us buy. But I see the potential that some unfortunate people might end up having some real financial problems caused by this, and totally unforeseen problems.

But it is supply and demand. Obviously the supply and demand back in the day allowed Tesla to charge what they charged; the situation has now changed and the demand is likely going down due to competition so the price has to be adjusted in the best interest of Tesla.

I have made more money than I lost on my X in my Tesla stock's appreciation. I'm not losing any sleep over this.

But I suspect some people might be who have different circumstances.

Reactions: saj070
I paid cash for my MX Plaid, probably at or close to the very peak price, in June 2022, about $155k after sales tax.. But what happens if an X Plaid that has a loan that was purchased at or near the peak is totaled? Will the insurance pay just the current value? Will the unfortunate person who that happens to have to pay off the difference between the insurance settlement and the balance on the loan? I would think so but don't know for sure.

That's what gap insurance is for. If you don't have it, then you're on the hook for the difference. Depending on your state and the loan contract, a lender might add gap insurance after the fact if it determines the value of your vehicle fell faster than than the principle pay down. This is just one of the many reasons why such fast and dramatic reduction values can be be more painful and costly than a reasonable gradual reduction.

Some felt very pleased with themselves before Tesla ramped prices up by huge amounts 1-2 years back. Now that they are reversing people are upset. A model S plaid was $108k in July IIRC. Now it is $20-30k less. I get the annoyance at resale, but if you were happy with the purchase then, you ultimately still should be. It's in a way weird to be annoyed that a company is lowering prices on a product and making this product that you think is good available to more people.

A question most here aren't asking is why did tesla do this? Why not lower by $10k? Why not sell the model X for $1500 and a free applebees gift card? Their supply & demand & margins are motivating this decision. What if they are producing such a glut of product they have to slash prices to move it? What if that still affords them a significant margine, while expanding their footprint and not cancelling shifts?

Is it possible some are now also appreciating that they got caught up in a fomo hysteria and now the impact is being felt.

I did not go through a law firm, and my buy bavk is full purchase plus expenses. My car was brand new when I submitted my concerns, but in my pocession. They are making things right with a dedicated Tesla customer. If I want a new one, I guess a best order before they increase the price once more.

Reactions: theslimshadyist