Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S&X Price Adjustments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plaid MX purchased June 30, 2022. Red and 22" wheel upgrade.

Screen Shot 2023-09-02 at 3.21.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-02 at 3.22.03 PM.png

Do I like it, NO. I agree with many of the sentiments in this thread. Crappy way to treat us.
They ought to do something for us. FSD would be one.

But it is supply and demand. My wife was born in a former Communist country where everything was state planned. I'll take our economic system over that any day of the week.

View attachment 970547

Do I like it, NO. I agree with many of the sentiments in this thread. Crappy way to treat us.

But it is supply and demand. My wife was born in a former Communist country where everything was state planned. I'll take our economic system over that any day of the week.

Exactly. Tesla doesn't owe us anything, but it sure does suck buying a car and losing a non-trivial chunk of change. Like you said, offering something like FSD to post-price hike buyers would have made headlines. The good kind. And, at very little cost to Tesla.

Free supercharging is really not that valuable unless you are constantly taking long distance road trips. 99% are not doing that. I find that I supercharge about 4 times a year which is maybe about a $100.

What I would be worried about is the $80k X might be down to $70k soon. Maybe even $60k. Who knows.

Makes you think the X is built kinda cheap. Not like a BMW or any premium brand.
Free energy is always valuable. If you choose to use it or not. I'm totally speculating here but you won't see many with this option jumping at this deal even at this price point.

In fact it probably is the only thing on a Tesla that helps hold its value for those that have the transferable version.

Free energy is always valuable. If you choose to use it or not. I'm totally speculating here but you won't see many with this option jumping at this deal even at this price point.

In fact it probably is the only thing on a Tesla that helps hold its value for those that have the transferable version.

Free supercharging has saved me almost 10k lol

I supercharge 45% of the time and with the free supercharging have saved $20,000+ on energy in my 5 years of X ownership. The supercharger network is the big reason I knew it was time to buy an EV since I needed to use it for lots of road miles. I put 22,000+ miles on the car just last year. I charge to 100% at home every time just before I leave on a trip (set to 80% charge normally, 90% the night before a trip, then crank it to 100% when I wake up the morning of a trip). I have lost 9 miles of range in 5 years.

It certainly does not appear to me that supercharging has harmed the batteries, nor do I think there is any truth to the 'supercharging hurts' baloney or else Tesla would be losing their butts on their 8 year warranty. Their engineers are not idiots.

To those that have a bee in their bonnet about Tesla, it is easy to make unsubstantiated claims about myriad details. By my experience, most of the 'facts' on the Internet come from people that have zero science behind their claims but still have no compunction about spreading a false narrative just to satisfy their ego.

Last edited:
It doesn't kill the battery, that's just FUD
Who cares if it does honestly? If you have enough scratch to buy a Model S you are obviously pretty good at math. It's not a debate...free gas, free electricity, hell free cable (when that was a thing)! After you've paid the guy to hook you up it's just all Ws after that lol. If Elon offers transfer of FUSC to a new Model S then that's one less Plaid that they will have in inventory. I'm sure many feel the same.

I understand why folks feel some kind of way about the price but these are first world problems. You are an early adopter, or lurker, knowing full damn well you were entering into a relationship with a company led by a mercurial CEO., with erratic customer service. Tesla is very transparent about their dynamic pricing model. Cut it out people... go buy a Camry and enjoy your resale value.

I supercharge 45% of the time and with the free supercharging have saved $20,000+ in my 5 years of X ownership. The supercharger network is the big reason I knew it was time to buy an EV and I use it for lots of road miles. I put 22,000+ miles on the car just last year. I charge to 100% at home every time just before I leave on a trip (set to 80% charge normally, 90% the night before a trip, then crank it to 100% when I wake up the morning of a trip). I have lost 9 miles of range in 5 years.

It certainly does not appear to me that supercharging has harmed the batteries, nor do I think there is any truth to the 'supercharging hurts' baloney or else Tesla would be losing their butts on their 8 year warranty. Their engineers are not idiots.

To those that have a bee in their bonnet about Tesla, it is easy to make unsubstantiated claims about myriad details. By my experience, most of the 'facts' on the Internet come from people that have zero science behind their claims but still have no compunction about spreading a false narrative just to satisfy their ego.
Very nice usage of the superchargers. My use case is 90-95% local meaning no need to charge until I get home. Heck sometimes I don’t even plug it in every day because I haven’t gone enough miles in one day. Charging from home is too easy and super convenient - and really not much if you charge at night.

Time is valuable and I’m not going to go drive out of my way and sit for 10-20 min at a supercharger. For this reason unlimited supercharging is really not a huge benefit to me.

I’d be willing to bet some good money (since I’ve already clearly lost a lot lol) that there are a lot more people like me than you. 😜

For me it’s not a valuable thing. Plus I hear it kills the battery.
Yes, in theory of lithium battery. But Tesla BMS (battery management system) is so good, so supper charge with high heat and high voltage won't damage Tesla battery. Many groups that did real world testing, all level 2 charge vs level 3 supper charge for 1 year, the degradation of the battery virtually the same. State of charge is more important than super charing. If you worry about battery, pay attention to state of charge, don't worry about super charge

Interesting, wow. Tesla just offered me a full go buyback on my MS LR 2023 for a number of defects. I was really thinking of not repurchasing and waiting for the new Model 3, or checking out alternative EVs. However, maybe now I will? What should I do!

Just curious, but did you opt out of forced arbitration? I assume you sent them a buyback request to the email listed in the arbitration clause and that you didn't go through a law firm? Was your buyback full purchase plus expenses or something less than all of your out of pocket costs?

View attachment 970548

View attachment 970549

What was the "other" price adjustment?

Guess it really depends on how you use it. The convenience of charging at home is one of the great things about EVs. You never have to hop in and say crap I need to go full up.

For me it’s not a valuable thing. Plus I hear it kills the battery.

My P85D had a rated range of 253 miles at 100% brand new. I sold it 7 years later with 135K miles. Half of the miles were from supercharging. Rated range 7 years later at 135K miles was 230 miles. The buyer now has over 200K miles on with a rated range of 225 miles and he also charges half of his miles supercharging.

Still on the original battery and drive units.

I suggest you watch this lecture by Jeff Dahn and it will become clear to you why supercharging doesn't accelerate degradation.

Very nice usage of the superchargers. My use case is 90-95% local meaning no need to charge until I get home. Heck sometimes I don’t even plug it in every day because I haven’t gone enough miles in one day. Charging from home is too easy and super convenient - and really not much if you charge at night.

Time is valuable and I’m not going to go drive out of my way and sit for 10-20 min at a supercharger. For this reason unlimited supercharging is really not a huge benefit to me.

I’d be willing to bet some good money (since I’ve already clearly lost a lot lol) that there are a lot more people like me than you. 😜

For apartment dwellers that had free supercharging and couldn't charge at work, 99% of their charging was supercharging even for those that only drove locally.

Reactions: gbertsch

View attachment 970548

View attachment 970549

They won’t do this once competition has caught up and for that I can’t wait. Crap like this will make them lose to the competition quick. Everyone expects depreciation from the market itself but not from self inflicted levels like Tesla.

Oh and the quality issues plus customer service are worst than a $30k Honda. They’ll need to fix that too.

They have enjoyed exclusivity with high demand for EVs which allowed them to do whatever including huge gouging of customers.

It’s sad that your $150k car will now sell for $75k used just one year old. I’m in a similar boat to you. I’ve bought a lot of cars in my life and this car in one year has lost more money than all my cars have lost combined!

All the people saying stop whining and supporting Tesla havent lost $75k from a car in one year.

I feel you man! It’s just gross.