Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S&X Price Adjustments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously considering a new MX for my wife. I have been waiting for prices to come down. I mentioned this on the forum a couple months ago about the obvious price reductions coming and mentioned it to my SA at Tesla and he chuckled saying prices may be going up if I wait too long. Well, I guess the last laugh is on those who said I was full of it.

My question-with the new HW.4, will the MX finally get birds eye view for parking? Any other updates I should be waiting for before pulling the trigger?

Seriously considering a new MX for my wife. I have been waiting for prices to come down. I mentioned this on the forum a couple months ago about the obvious price reductions coming and mentioned it to my SA at Tesla and he chuckled saying prices may be going up if I wait too long. Well, I guess the last laugh is on those who said I was full of it.

My question-with the new HW.4, will the MX finally get birds eye view for parking? Any other updates I should be waiting for before pulling the trigger?
Birds Eye view requires the cameras to be place in different place than they are placed currently for FSD plus it also requires tesla to pay to use that feature as someone else has the patent for that.

Some felt very pleased with themselves before Tesla ramped prices up by huge amounts 1-2 years back. Now that they are reversing people are upset. A model S plaid was $108k in July IIRC. Now it is $20-30k less. I get the annoyance at resale, but if you were happy with the purchase then, you ultimately still should be. It's in a way weird to be annoyed that a company is lowering prices on a product and making this product that you think is good available to more people.

A question most here aren't asking is why did tesla do this? Why not lower by $10k? Why not sell the model X for $1500 and a free applebees gift card? Their supply & demand & margins are motivating this decision. What if they are producing such a glut of product they have to slash prices to move it? What if that still affords them a significant margine, while expanding their footprint and not cancelling shifts?

Is it possible some are now also appreciating that they got caught up in a fomo hysteria and now the impact is being felt.
Let me ask you a question. And this is a question to all of you who think we are making this a bigger deal than it is.

Hypothetical: If you bought a $100,000 car in 2022 and 1 year later it was worth $0 would you be fine since you still like your car?

I hope you wouldn’t. Do you know why? At some point you will need to sell your car. For some this is within just the first 1-3 years. Maybe it’s because the car doesn’t fit their needs as they thought it would. Maybe it’s because they like something else that just came out.

This sounds like a crazy argument but those of us that bought the X or S have lost the entire value of a Y in a year.

To make it clear the complaint isn’t that Tesla lowered their prices. The complaint is they INFLATED their prices by up to $50k on some models and then decided to bring it back to reality. No other manufacturer has done such a thing.

Are we as the buyers at fault for not realizing this and getting ripped off. Yes. But as consumers it is hard to navigate and understand everything. Generally as consumers we are used to car prices going down from depreciation BUT NOT FROM THE MANUFACUTER MAKING HUGE CUTS BECAUSE THEY HAD OVERINFLATED IT TO BEGIN WITH. So in some ways you can’t just blame the consumers. We could have bought a BMW or Lexus or whatever and the MSRP from the company tends to stay fairly steady.

This thread is super long about pissed of buyers. I sure hope someone from Tesla reads this. Not that they would care but just know many of us will not be recommending Tesla to our friends and family. It is in poor practice to inflate your cars to such ridiculous amounts and then not compensate your loyal customers.

Tesla sure will make bank short term but when the competition catches up and they are struggling a bit more then all of a sudden customer loyalty may just become important to them.

• Funny
Reactions: ABC2D and AI pen
Let me ask you a question. And this is a question to all of you who think we are making this a bigger deal than it is.

Hypothetical: If you bought a $100,000 car in 2022 and 1 year later it was worth $0 would you be fine since you still like your car?

I hope you wouldn’t. Do you know why? At some point you will need to sell your car. For some this is within just the first 1-3 years. Maybe it’s because the car doesn’t fit their needs as they thought it would. Maybe it’s because they like something else that just came out.

This sounds like a crazy argument but those of us that bought the X or S have lost the entire value of a Y in a year.

To make it clear the complaint isn’t that Tesla lowered their prices. The complaint is they INFLATED their prices by up to $50k on some models and then decided to bring it back to reality. No other manufacturer has done such a thing.

Are we as the buyers at fault for not realizing this and getting ripped off. Yes. But as consumers it is hard to navigate and understand everything. Generally as consumers we are used to car prices going down from depreciation BUT NOT FROM THE MANUFACUTER MAKING HUGE CUTS BECAUSE THEY HAD OVERINFLATED IT TO BEGIN WITH. So in some ways you can’t just blame the consumers. We could have bought a BMW or Lexus or whatever and the MSRP from the company tends to stay fairly steady.

This thread is super long about pissed of buyers. I sure hope someone from Tesla reads this. Not that they would care but just know many of us will not be recommending Tesla to our friends and family. It is in poor practice to inflate your cars to such ridiculous amounts and then not compensate your loyal customers.

Tesla sure will make bank short term but when the competition catches up and they are struggling a bit more then all of a sudden customer loyalty may just become important to them.
You have made your point multiple times. Remember, its a paper loss as long as folks can hold the car. Many people lost a lot of money in real estate but those who were able to hold were fine. A year or two from now, the prices maybe higher again especially if some other manufacturers go belly up. No company can afford to lose money the way many are losing including GM/Ford/Rivian/Lucid/Others. At some point, they will have to show profits or go out of business. Tesla has decided they are taking competition head on in the interim. Hold on to your Car, this shall pass.

I don't understand why everybody's still complaining about this. Like Elon said, if they raise the price of the car next week, does everybody who bought it last week start sending checks to Tesla to cover the price increase?

You bought something that you think its worth a certain amount to you. Why would you buy it if you don't think it's worth it? And you bought it already knowing Tesla makes price corrections all the time. So you knowing the price is inflated. Then why do you still (or any buyer for that matter) buy it. If nobody's buying these cars at these inflated prices. Then Tesla will go out of business. Obviously, somebody thinks it's worth it, and hence the transaction happens.

If we're buying them at $70k this year, and next year, Tesla figured a way to make the car for $50k, and decide to sell it for $55k. Is the $70k now an inflated price. Then people will continue to complain about the $70k already inflated. it's never going to end.

Again, I think it's a moment in time, when you think it's worth it, buy it. Anytime, it's not worth the value you're given. I (or anybody) would not be buying it. Nobody is pressuring anybody to buy these vehicles.

I'm buying it because I see value (even if inflated), yes, that's how my decision was made, not because somebody told me to buy it, nor did somebody pressure me. I did the research, it was the best car for my $$ for what I want out of the car. Decision made. Move on. I lost money on the car, of course, but I enjoy my time with it and even if it's $0 today. I would be annoyed at myself for not seeing this inflated price and be mad. Then I would move on to another brand, but now the problem lies. Other brands don't have what I need or want. So I'm back looking at a Model X again, and have to give Tesla my $$ because it has a value that I agree with.

Not a fan boy talking, but being realistic, I mean if I buy an EQS SUV today, and next year it drops $20k, but if it continues to offer me what I want and thus creating a value figure for me. I would buy it again. I would bemoan about it in the MB forums of course.

-ThinkMac-

It's been stated in multiple ways, but I'll try again, using less words.

Cars are depreciating assets -- but they're still assets. Their value contributes to your net worth. You can trade them for other goods and services if you want.

In an almost unheard of way, the value of these cars dropped in such a way that the owners lost an unprecedented amount of wealth in a short period of time. If you don't see why that would make people upset, then I can't help you.

Birdseye view won’t be a possibility until they install another camera on the front bumper. Which is what they’ve done on the Cybertruck and refreshed Model 3.

I don't understand why everybody's still complaining about this. Like Elon said, if they raise the price of the car next week, does everybody who bought it last week start sending checks to Tesla to cover the price increase?

You bought something that you think its worth a certain amount to you. Why would you buy it if you don't think it's worth it? And you bought it already knowing Tesla makes price corrections all the time. So you knowing the price is inflated. Then why do you still (or any buyer for that matter) buy it. If nobody's buying these cars at these inflated prices. Then Tesla will go out of business. Obviously, somebody thinks it's worth it, and hence the transaction happens.

If we're buying them at $70k this year, and next year, Tesla figured a way to make the car for $50k, and decide to sell it for $55k. Is the $70k now an inflated price. Then people will continue to complain about the $70k already inflated. it's never going to end.

Again, I think it's a moment in time, when you think it's worth it, buy it. Anytime, it's not worth the value you're given. I (or anybody) would not be buying it. Nobody is pressuring anybody to buy these vehicles.

I'm buying it because I see value (even if inflated), yes, that's how my decision was made, not because somebody told me to buy it, nor did somebody pressure me. I did the research, it was the best car for my $$ for what I want out of the car. Decision made. Move on. I lost money on the car, of course, but I enjoy my time with it and even if it's $0 today. I would be annoyed at myself for not seeing this inflated price and be mad. Then I would move on to another brand, but now the problem lies. Other brands don't have what I need or want. So I'm back looking at a Model X again, and have to give Tesla my $$ because it has a value that I agree with.

Not a fan boy talking, but being realistic, I mean if I buy an EQS SUV today, and next year it drops $20k, but if it continues to offer me what I want and thus creating a value figure for me. I would buy it again. I would bemoan about it in the MB forums of course.

-ThinkMac-
Well said You hit the nail on the head.

I bought Tesla at peaks not knowing it will drop but I can’t blame anyone but myself. Same token gave me an opportunity buy MS with FSD almost brand new at $40k discount

So yes sometimes you win sometimes you lose it’s all about timing.

Elon will do anything to take as much market share as competition catches up. Why not he is running a business to make money.

Business 101 more revenue makes good business.

I am going to buy MX knowing it can drop $20k next year it what individual value a car at a given time not what the value will hold in 12 or 24 months

I purchased Mercedes S550 $139k 8 years ago it has 45k miles worth $30k now do I start venting and complaining to Mercedes my car value is down? Heck no I knew when i was buying reslae over 10 years will be 90% loss

Normally these price changes are obfuscated by the opaque and slow to react dealer pricing. Now the price changes are out there for everyone to see. In economics terms, Tesla's way makes the market more efficient. Honestly, all sales are essentially slow moving Dutch Auctions, and if you look at it that way everything makes a ton more sense.

Products go on sale all the time for 10, 20, heck even 50% off all the time. Sure the price numbers have more zeros in a car than a phone or a vacuum cleaner or whatever. But I've seen the same percentage price drops in 8 figure value business jets. Just shows you how much prices are inflated by the "hope I can get this much for it" thought prices in the seller normally.

Does it create buyers remorse to have the price fall and the deal get better? Yep. But it was a good enough deal for you to pull the trigger at $100k+. If it wasn't, you wouldn't have bought. Don't blame Tesla for adapting the price to the changing market and tax conditions.

Normally these price changes are obfuscated by the opaque and slow to react dealer pricing. Now the price changes are out there for everyone to see. In economics terms, Tesla's way makes the market more efficient. Honestly, all sales are essentially slow moving Dutch Auctions, and if you look at it that way everything makes a ton more sense.

Products go on sale all the time for 10, 20, heck even 50% off all the time. Sure the price numbers have more zeros in a car than a phone or a vacuum cleaner or whatever. But I've seen the same percentage price drops in 8 figure value business jets. Just shows you how much prices are inflated by the "hope I can get this much for it" thought prices in the seller normally.

Does it create buyers remorse to have the price fall and the deal get better? Yep. But it was a good enough deal for you to pull the trigger at $100k+. If it wasn't, you wouldn't have bought. Don't blame Tesla for adapting the price to the changing market and tax conditions.
Again supporting Tesla as if they figured it out the best way in the world. What they did was take advantage of a market with huge demand that doesn’t have good competition yet. They won’t be doing this in the future you can bet on that. Why? Because people will go to Audi, BMW, Kia and Nissan for an EV if Tesla does this again.

And BTW to your point do Apple products change with the daily winds. You know there is a certain sales efficiency gained when customers are happy and the company has done the work to sustain the ups/downs like Apple or pretty much any company for that matter.

No one likes to buy products like they are stock shares.

And sales and promotions are not comparable. Everyone knows it’s for a short period of time and the prices come back to normal. But if you change the normal price by cutting by 50% that’s a whole diff thing.

They inflated because people saw value and continued to buy at those prices. Again, because why not?

-ThinkMac-
"I don't understand why everybody's still complaining about this. Like Elon said, if they raise the price of the car next week, does everybody who bought it last week start sending checks to Tesla to cover the price increase?"
Please do not quote what Elon said because it is not logical. Rather post something that is fact-based. If the price of the car next week goes up, we won't send checks to Tesla never. Because Tesla continuously upgrades (e.g., matrix headlight in June 2023) and makes changes (e.g., software) to their vehicles. Do we have those upgraded cars? No, That is why we don't send Tesla checks.
I purchased MX in June at $98,490 (MSRP) and now Tesla sells the same vehicle with the same specs at $79,990. Do you understand my point now?