Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - 20” silver wheels - market?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Firstly, a quick ‘hello’. New to the forum, but am a prior MS owner. Just locked in the inventory MX that was online (priced well, but still debating the range issue as it’s a 75D).

Wondering if there is a market in Australia for the 20” silver wheels. Considering upgrading to the 22” and will have no need for the this existing wheels.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I have the 22’s on my Model X, kept the 20’s that I put on during Winter for the ski season (chains can’t be fitted on the 22’s).

In terms of range, doing it over I’d probably go the 100D (I’ve got the 75D), we went the 75D as never had a range issue in my Model S 70 however the X can be really odd with range depending on so many factors...a lot people apparently only get 300km’s on a 100% charge on the 75D...can be limiting and a lot less than advertised by a factor of 29%

Oh, and we are very slow etc. drivers, on my Model S 70 I get around 185Wh/km even though I have the 21s, this translates to just under 370km’s when fully charged (68kw usable when fully charged on the 70)

Thanks - interesting, and does reinforce my concern on range. Wasn’t aware that the X was more fickle than the S though. Driving an XC90 T8 currently, so (almost) have the best of both worlds in terms of EV for around town and petrol for longer trips.

Will be a weigh up vs price point, which is incredibly appealing - with 95% of our trips being less than 50km - and the nrma roll out helping for the longer trips.

Hadn’t appreciated the wheel size issue regarding the snow chains. Good to know. On that note, I assume range drops drastically when driving to the snow (ie ‘extreme’ cold)?

@Blue heaven agreed, which is what we've done (for range and snow chains), however doing the purchase again I should have gone the extra $'s on the 100D...

@DBPhil yes, cold does reduce the range....okay going to the ski fields but coming back when one cannot be plugged in and warm up the batteries/cabin before leaving is a bit of a concern...

Thanks both. Any thoughts on an approx range loss from an 80% charge? I appreciate various environmental and driving factors will influence this, but do you feel we are talking 10-20km, or something more extreme (ie. 50km +)

@DBPhil not sure, it's all guessing...but typical is about is about 25% less than what Tesla advertise under ideal conditions and I'd say another 15% under really cold temps....so 20inch wheels is advertised as 417km's, really will get about 325km's and in cold 250km's....

Not great hey? All okay if on the super charger routes, but unfortunately 2 years and still waiting for SC's to in in ANY of the ski fields so makes using destination charges when on the 'way' somewhere a really time consuming affair...

Got the extra $'s? Go the 100D...

Food for thought. I could go for the 100, but the pricing for the 75 inventory is appealing (approx $55k lower than a long range same spec new). Helps my argument for keeping some of my other cars too.

Something for me to consider over the coming days before finalising. Appreciate the input - thanks.

The MX range is more variable than the MS because it is more affected by wind.
A headwind will affect the MX more than it affects the MS.

Regarding your other point, I almost jumped on the inventory X75D too, as I’d really like more seats. I do a lot of road trips to remote places and frequently arrive with less that 10% in my S75D, so I’ve had to hold off on the X for now.

Thanks.

Still weighing up the range issue. I’m convinced that for the vast majority of trips we would have no issue - It’s just the ocassional extended road trip.

If you were looking at the same grey 75D I was surprised to see it fall in price by approx $12k in a week. After ordering it then fell another $3k and came with free supercharging. I can’t imagine too many other vehicle manufacturers providing further savings/incentives after purchase.

@DBPhil range difference between 20s and the 22s is about 6% at most.

Our X is new and came with the 20s, drove for about 3 months (summer driving) on it before we got our free referral 22s. So at this stage I’ve compared the before and after figures. This ski season (soon) we’ll swap back to the 20s for a few months so will get more data then, but I would guess no more than 6%.

Thanks.

Still weighing up the range issue. I’m convinced that for the vast majority of trips we would have no issue - It’s just the ocassional extended road trip.

If you were looking at the same grey 75D I was surprised to see it fall in price by approx $12k in a week. After ordering it then fell another $3k and came with free supercharging. I can’t imagine too many other vehicle manufacturers providing further savings/incentives after purchase.

Look at any range issue in a percentage term, as of now an X75 would likely cover over 90% of your driving comfortably, for less than 10% of the time on longer inland trips a bit of careful driving and forward planning is needed, as each year passes more DC chargers are built increasing your percentage of comfortable driving from 90% to closer to 100%.
$55k is a large premium for an extra 120kms of range that will get less use with time.

Reactions: Momentum1
Look at any range issue in a percentage term, as of now an X75 would likely cover over 90% of your driving comfortably, for less than 10% of the time on longer inland trips a bit of careful driving and forward planning is needed, as each year passes more DC chargers are built increasing your percentage of comfortable driving from 90% to closer to 100%.
$55k is a large premium for an extra 120kms of range that will get less use with time.
My approach has always been "of course I can do it"; then make it happen.