Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Anyone in process or filed Lemon Law ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the alignment is third class, passenger window is slow and noisy, rubber seal on roof element is folded and frayed.View attachment 220426View attachment 220427View attachment 220428View attachment 220429View attachment 220430View attachment 220431

My car was completed on 22nd December 2016 and arrived on 27th March 2017. thats a little over three months and I am already concerned about the battery quality

A lemon law claim is based is in essence a breach of warranty claim. Most states require that you give the dealer and manufacturer a reasonable number of attempts to fix the problem prior to being eligible for such a claim. Given that your issues have not been attempted to be fixed yet, you would likely not be eligible for such relief.

A lemon law claim is based is in essence a breach of warranty claim. Most states require that you give the dealer and manufacturer a reasonable number of attempts to fix the problem prior to being eligible for such a claim. Given that your issues have not been attempted to be fixed yet, you would likely not be eligible for such relief.

What if the issues were not fixed in a timely manner, in my case a month? I know they say 30 working days, for me is 20 days so far, but still 20 days to fix a car is too long by any standards.

What if the issues were not fixed in a timely manner, in my case a month? I know they say 30 working days, for me is 20 days so far, but still 20 days to fix a car is too long by any standards.

Depends on the state law, usually they have provisions for X number of repairs, or X numbers of days out for service. It appears OR has a a three repair attempts or 30 business day standard.

Reactions: Debaser
It is simply wrong for tesla to be producing cars with these issues. They currently have no competition which is why they have not fixed their factory QC issues. If the model 3 has these issues I can only imagine the negative news train wreck that will follow. Completely unacceptable and quite embarrassing for Tesla.
Is there objective proof that corporate Tesla is in fact embarrassed? ..... just because they 'should' be ? I duno. Often - negligent or even volitional behavior that causes/leads to embarrassment, brings about an apology - when that behavior is brought to light. Yes there was a time when Musk claimed he was camping on the production floor to assure quality issues weren't happening. But it's been quite some time since the sleeping bag got packed up. What might be a better inquiry is, "what does it indicate - if Tesla is NOT embarrassed".

Ok, before you start thinking of filing a lemon law, perhaps you can give Tesla time to fix your issues. You've had the car for less than 72 hours.

To each their own; however, it sounds like you should not have accepted delivery if these were major issues for you. FWIW.

Debaser has had his car for quite a long time and has issues that apparently can't get fixed. And he tells us about them all the time. Literally, all the time. Like every-week-in-new-threads all the time. :)
The hits will keep on comin'... ;)

Depends on the state law, usually they have provisions for X number of repairs, or X numbers of days out for service. It appears OR has a a three repair attempts or 30 business day standard.
Right on. These types of laws were basically compromises so that the court system did not get tied up in litigation over vehicles with fixable issues but owners (and their lawyers) seeing deep pockets and wanting to take everything to court. This makes the laws similar, but not exactly the same, as worker's compensation. Worker's comp is a compromise system pragmatically created to ease congestion of the legal system (at least that was the intent).

the alignment is third class, passenger window is slow and noisy, rubber seal on roof element is folded and frayed.View attachment 220426View attachment 220427View attachment 220428View attachment 220429View attachment 220430View attachment 220431

My car was completed on 22nd December 2016 and arrived on 27th March 2017. thats a little over three months and I am already concerned about the battery quality
Just curious, it looks like you have titanium as the color in the photos. That color was discontinued and taken down from the site in early October '16. I am wondering how you were able to order with titanium color late December '16. Edit: Nevermind...it completed on 22 Dec.

Last edited:
@Debaser how's the claim going? I will be bringing my car in for the fourth time repairing the same FWD obstables detected under hot sun / temperature issue. The first two times they just replaced the sensors and called it fixed. The third time they replicated my issue and added foam tape which is supposed to keep the sensors cool. The day after getting car back, the same issue appeared again.

CA lemon law says 4 or more repairs may qualify. So I just finished the third now and it just seems like they don't have a solution for it still. Thanks.

Reactions: T3xrr
Ok, before you start thinking of filing a lemon law, perhaps you can give Tesla time to fix your issues. You've had the car for less than 72 hours.

To each their own; however, it sounds like you should not have accepted delivery if these were major issues for you. FWIW.

Debaser has had his car for quite a long time and has issues that apparently can't get fixed. And he tells us about them all the time. Literally, all the time. Like every-week-in-new-threads all the time. :)

That's right, I did not accept delivery. Car was kept to be fixed.
4 weeks later I went again to collect the car only to find more issues created.

Rubber door seals parting from body work. FWD mis alignment adjusted but now creeking loudly. Brakes squealing on reverse, noise and shudder on full right steering lock, gaps and panel fit still u satisfactory, body paint now polished but camaflage patches showing. To quote my deatailng expert, "it's the worst paint work I have ever seen on a brand new car". RANGE OF 190 MILES

Service centre mechanics also managed to add a crack on the windscreen, severe scuffing on both door cards....
The list goes on. £85000 on a car that does not meet simple quality expectations

Last edited:
Just curious, it looks like you have titanium as the color in the photos. That color was discontinued and taken down from the site in early October '16. I am wondering how you were able to order with titanium color late December '16. Edit: Nevermind...it completed on 22 Dec.

I reserved my place back in JAN 2015, finally ordered in June 2016, was built 26 DEC 2016, delivered March 27 2017, finally accepted on 4th May 2017 but being sent back on 28th June for further repairs.

Tesla did not inform me in OCT 2016 that the titanium color was being removed. If they had informed me I would have chosen a different color saving problems for the future

going back over the posts I see complaints over grinding noise during hard right turns, seals turning over onto their selves, groaning FWD's, misalignments' Etc. Our 2017 has all this stuff & more. we even have some head liner screw up that is requiring some big replacement & the parts have been on order for weeks now. The X is "she-who-must-be-obeyed" 's car ... and she doesn't want me to run through the gymnastics of doing lemon law stuff because she loves the car despite all its warts. Maybe tesla counts on owners like us, who arejust dealing with it, despite the aggravation. Then again, maybe if I refuse to continue to run it back in for nickel & dime repairs all the time, and SHE had to do that, maybe the frustration would cause her to take a different stance. it does get tiresome having to hear her say, again & again, "the doors are clunking again!" . Then, I say "so what - if I take it back again, they'll just smear more grease in the known area, and they'll be doing it again in a few more weeks". I wonder if Tesla would find it as tiresome as I do, if they had to keep coming back out to our house & drive it back then return it to us to do this stuff over and over.
Oh - then there's a ½ year of squirrely ap2 operation on top of it. so she says, just leave it turned off! (sigh) Great ... money well spent.

Last edited:
I just started a request with my local SC to be refunded for my MX. I have owned it for about two months, and have serviced the car four times I think. In fact after 20 miles a sensor went off erroneously warranting an entire seat replacement. Next my 12v battery had issues a few weeks later, then the drivers window was shaking the door as it rolled up, now I got an error about my power steering where by the car LOCKED the steering while it was in park. After reboot it went away, however the SC has no idea why it really happened.

Needless to say, after less than 2 months of ownership this car has proven to be unreliable. I am so, especially after being so excited to get this car. In the event of a refund I am not even sure what to do with my charger and chains which are brand new. I don't know that I can do this whole experience again with Tesla if I do go through with this process as I will have to order a new car and go through ANOTHER waiting period.