Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Anyone in process or filed Lemon Law ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lemon laws in CA are triggered by unsuccessful, repeated attempts to fix the same issue. Different issues start the clock over again. The most successful lemon buybacks are when there is a safety issue involved. In my case BMW bought back my i3 after 4 or 5 attempts to fix a seatbelt/airbag warning issue. BMWs are generally well made, but even they have issues. The fact that a car is quewerky with numerous imperfections will rarely trigger the lemon law.

i heard most of the FWD issues were with the earlier cars 2016 with the pre 8.1 software. Just test drove an X a couple of days ago and the rep stated how far they've come in fixing the FWD issues in the past 2 years.

Apparently, they switched FWD manufacturers, and the 8.1 software fixed and improved alot of the FWD issues.

Feel bad for the previous X owners but should give some comfort to newer buyers.

i heard most of the FWD issues were with the earlier cars 2016 with the pre 8.1 software. Just test drove an X a couple of days ago and the rep stated how far they've come in fixing the FWD issues in the past 2 years..snip.....
LOL
oh, well if the rep told you everything's fine - tgen it musbe fine. You should read some of the posts thwn. btw our model X is around 10 months old & like others, yeah - new cars - new software same issues.
wish I had a dollar for everytime the rep says, really? I never heard of that happening."

LOL
oh, well if the rep told you everything's fine - tgen it musbe fine. You should read some of the posts thwn. btw our model X is around 10 months old & like others, yeah - new cars - new software same issues.
wish I had a dollar for everytime the rep says, really? I never heard of that happening."

i'm not saying i believe everything is fine just because a rep told me they are. in fact, that is not the rep said at all if you read my post. the rep said that alot of the FWD issues were on the earlier made cars with pre-8.1 software and alot of these issues have been fixed.

Obviously, the possibility of newer cars having FWD issues will always remain and still exists but i think the gist of what the rep was trying to say is that the overall problems of the FWD have decreased alot and more functionality of the FWD have improved in 8.1

i'm not saying i believe everything is fine just because a rep told me they are. in fact, that is not the rep said at all if you read my post. the rep said that alot of the FWD issues were on the earlier made cars with pre-8.1 software and alot of these issues have been fixed.

Obviously, the possibility of newer cars having FWD issues will always remain and still exists but i think the gist of what the rep was trying to say is that the overall problems of the FWD have decreased alot and more functionality of the FWD have improved in 8.1

Our 3 months old MX does not have any issue with FWD yet (touch wood). It does leak a bit right after closing FWD in the rain. I think some water get trapped somewhere and got released into the cabin with FWD open/close. It is not that big a deal as it doesn't rain here much and our kid is the only one in the back... he is not made of sugar. :p

Our 3 months old MX does not have any issue with FWD yet (touch wood). It does leak a bit right after closing FWD in the rain. I think some water get trapped somewhere and got released into the cabin with FWD open/close. It is not that big a deal as it doesn't rain here much and our kid is the only one in the back... he is not made of sugar. :p

How much did you pay for the car and how much do you think one that doesn't leak is worth?

I'm facing the same issue. They are supposed to come pickup my 2016 MX 100D and take in for "one last attempt" to fix the issue. The issue is that my right side FWD will open 6" and fault. At first, it was intermittent. After the 2nd "repair" it now fails every time. I live in Orlando. I asked the service rep what happens if they can't fix it. His response was "Actually, That’s a good question. We have had some challenging ones but luckily we have not had any that we have not been able to resolve.". Why not fix it right the first time then? UGH.

I got my car back from the 2nd repair attempt on 4/19/18 and the door functioned fine. Then on 4/21/18 it started acting the same as it did before the repair. I called and they scheduled a repair for 5/8/18. Then on 4/25/18 I get this email from one of the service reps "Hello Troy!
I have received an escalation note on you for Model X to have the falcon wing door repaired. The escalation team has asked us to do a final repair attempt on the vehicle. Can you let me know when a good time to have the door repaired would be for your schedule and if you could give some date and time stamps for us to review the logs. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you."

Let's see what happens. They are waiting for a Tesla loaner to come available.

cleardot.gif

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
I'm facing the same issue. They are supposed to come pickup my 2016 MX 100D and take in for "one last attempt" to fix the issue. The issue is that my right side FWD will open 6" and fault. At first, it was intermittent. After the 2nd "repair" it now fails every time. I live in Orlando. I asked the service rep what happens if they can't fix it. His response was "Actually, That’s a good question. We have had some challenging ones but luckily we have not had any that we have not been able to resolve.". Why not fix it right the first time then? UGH.

I got my car back from the 2nd repair attempt on 4/19/18 and the door functioned fine. Then on 4/21/18 it started acting the same as it did before the repair. I called and they scheduled a repair for 5/8/18. Then on 4/25/18 I get this email from one of the service reps "Hello Troy!
I have received an escalation note on you for Model X to have the falcon wing door repaired. The escalation team has asked us to do a final repair attempt on the vehicle. Can you let me know when a good time to have the door repaired would be for your schedule and if you could give some date and time stamps for us to review the logs. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you."

Let's see what happens. They are waiting for a Tesla loaner to come available.
cleardot.gif

Your patience with them is amazing. I'd have long ago rejected the car and asked for a new one.

Well you do have to give them reasonable attempts to fix the problem. He is at 3rd attempt when it goes into service. I am not sure how you'd reject the car long ago after 2 failed attempts to fix. Here in California it's 4 times to be considered a lemon for an issue like this.

Interesting. Here you can reject over almost anything in the first 30 days, and given the horror stories you read here I'd be inclined to do that if there was almost anything wrong... Misaligned parts, paint, any electrical issues...

But if it develops a fault later you might have to argue it a bit more.

Yes, car slowing down for no reason, in my case it went from 80 to 50mph when approaching those "scanning" poles just before a weight station, also when approaching overpasses. I never thought it's the shadow that scares the TACC, but the actual structure over the road.

Reactions: 1 person
Hello ,

I am a Tesla Model X owner for over a year now. However, after 6 or 7 times repaired on the falcon wing doors, issue still remaining.

Has anyone filed or in process with Lemon Law in Los Angeles area or CA ?

Can you share your experience and how it works out ?

Ps: I scheduled my x for repair falcon wing door again yesterday and both Buena Park and Costa Mesa dealership wait time is 1 month!!!!!!!

Thanks
Did you ever file a lemon law claim? I was thinking of getting one an X, but became nervous from what I read about yours. If you did file what was the outcome?