Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Autopilot Problem - Pretty Scary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got Model X 90D in March. About two weeks later, I drove the X to Vegas with my wife and two little girls. After we got on the freeway, I started to use autopilot. The weather condition was great. I set the autopilot at the speed of 80 mph with 5 cars distance. I was very cautious with this Autopilot technology, especially my whole family was in the car, so I kept my eyes on it. It was very amazing when the car drove itself on the freeway at the very beginning, but not too long, I saw the car in front of me was slowing down, but the X continued to accelerate to 80 mph, even though it detected the front car! In the instrument panel, the front car became red and warning beeping sound alarmed, but no sign of auto braking. I immediately brake the car, and fortunately enough to avoid crashing into the front car. It all happened within seconds. My wife called Tesla customer service to report this incident a few minutes later. The service rep on the phone seemed not too surprised and told me he had a similar situation while driving his own S.

We paid $2500 to add autopilot feature, but it's Beta version. When you use beta software in your computer, your computer might crash, not a big deal, you can always restart the computer and uninstall the beta software. But, when the Autopilot is beta, and if it crashes, there is no restart button... Is it Tesla too soon to add autopilot? I think it is.

I got Model X 90D in March. About two weeks later, I drove the X to Vegas with my wife and two little girls. After we got on the freeway, I started to use autopilot. The weather condition was great. I set the autopilot at the speed of 80 mph with 5 cars distance. I was very cautious with this Autopilot technology, especially my whole family was in the car, so I kept my eyes on it. It was very amazing when the car drove itself on the freeway at the very beginning, but not too long, I saw the car in front of me was slowing down, but the X continued to accelerate to 80 mph, even though it detected the front car! In the instrument panel, the front car became red and warning beeping sound alarmed, but no sign of auto braking. I immediately brake the car, and fortunately enough to avoid crashing into the front car. It all happened within seconds. My wife called Tesla customer service to report this incident a few minutes later. The service rep on the phone seemed not too surprised and told me he had a similar situation while driving his own S.

We paid $2500 to add autopilot feature, but it's Beta version. When you use beta software in your computer, your computer might crash, not a big deal, you can always restart the computer and uninstall the beta software. But, when the Autopilot is beta, and if it crashes, there is no restart button... Is it Tesla too soon to add autopilot? I think it is.
I am sorry, maybe others who actually own a Tesla should chime in, but I am not sure I understand your problem.

You knew AP was in Beta when you selected the $2500 extra, right? This means the SW will eventually get better, but for now - and maybe for good with the AP 1.0 HW you have - Tesla openly tells you in their manual and every communication they have about AP that you have to stay alert and prepared to take over.... So the first time you actually have to take over you complain this is in Beta?

Also, on a side-note:
1, Do you know of any manufacturer (Mercedes, BMW, Audi, you name it) that has an automatic emergency braking system, that tells you that from now on you don't have to use the brakes at all, the car will do it for you? Of course not. They have fine-print allover their manuals saying that their system may not detect all situations and you are responsible as the driver. They just don't call it Beta -if anything Tesla is more honest than others.

After 1 minute of googling, here is a piece of a Mercedes owner's manual:

"PRE-SAFE® Brake cannot always clearly identify objects and complex traffic conditions. In these cases, PRE-SAFE® Brake may:
- give an unnecessary warning and then brake the vehicle
- not give a warning or intervene
There is a risk of an accident. Always pay particular attention to the traffic situation and be ready to brake..."

2, every situation where you overrule AP actually helps make it better via the self-learning features and centralized data processing at Tesla HQ.

I dont believe you have a Tesla.

I set the autopilot at the speed of 80 mph with 5 cars distance.
Is that distance gap at 80mph what you normally do when driving? That is much too close. Use some common sense and think about the physics and your reaction time. Set the distance to the maximum and pay attention.

Also, read the manual very carefully.

My Subaru Legacy with Eyesight does the same thing. Accelerates into stopped traffic and then throws up a red "obstacle detected" warning with audible alarm when we get too close for it to stop and if it's on me to brake/swerve. I don't regularly set the eyesight anymore above 70 mph due to increased stopping distance at higher speeds.

I know it's not tesla autopilot but do want to be clear that no driver assist tech is perfect right now. At least autopilot can steer, the Subaru eyesight just 'ping pongs' off the lane lines if your lucky.

Kudos for remaining attentive and engaged while your driver assist technology works as intended and allows you to relax your arms/legs the majority of the time in fluctuating speed highway driving. If autopilot was available for my Classic Model S I would buy it in a heart beat with full acceptance of its advantage and perceived flaws.

I think one of the best features of AP is when on a highway in traffic at about 40 mph and traffic speed increases to the point AP accelerates fast and approaches the vechile infront of you and you are thinking if it is going to stop in time and it finally breaks hard and your passengers heads jerk. (Gotta love beta)......

When I used AP, I always set the front car distance to 7 (whatever that means) and so far seems to be working okay. I am also wary of the software so I have everything set to the most conservative settings.

Is that distance gap at 80mph what you normally do when driving? That is much too close. Use some common sense and think about the physics and your reaction time. Set the distance to the maximum and pay attention.

Also, read the manual very carefully.

Absolutely agree. At that speed 7 is the right number but vigilance is required.

btw: you can silence the skeptics by providing a picture of you picking up your X.....5 posts raise eyebrows.....

Is it possible the car you were actually following moved out of the lane? And the car that had been in front of it was the one you almost hit?

If the car AP is tracking moves out of the lane it can take a few secs for AP to lock onto the new lead car. In between the AP may not slow down and may even accelerate. When driving with AP this is one scenario I'm always on lookout for.

I saw the car in front of me was slowing down, but the X continued to accelerate to 80 mph...When you use beta software in your computer, your computer might crash, not a big deal, you can always restart the computer and uninstall the beta software. But, when the Autopilot is beta, and if it crashes, there is no restart button....

Yes, it is beta and you know that and understand the risks.

Unfortunately, the other people on the road, like that car in front of you, didn't sign up for the beta program and don't know the risk of driving near a beta tester.

Maybe you can put a sign on your car when you are doing the beta testing.

Reactions: KZKZ