Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a road trip that needs a mid trip charge at 40 amps. Would like to keep this charge time to a minimum to get to my destination.
I'm trying to decide whether to remove my 20" all season wheels (which have a more aggressive tread and I assume softer rubber) and install my 22" summers on the Model X.
Is it fair to assume that highway Wh/Mile could be the same for 20" vs 22" since the overall tire diameter is the same ? Summer tires less roll resistance than all-season tires ?
If this was discussed elsewhere please let me know.

update 2300 miles @ 334 wh/mi. last 800 miles mostly up and down i95 corridor with range mode on and climate set at 68 on colder days and 74 on warmer days. weather has been better, may be that helped in improving performance. 70 to 75 mph on auto pilot.

This is Model X 75 D, standard wheels.

Update, 4300 miles @ 331 wh/mi. Same driving routes, climate settings and load. As expected, AC is not so effective on warm days. I may end up turning off range mode as it gets warmer.

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian
I'm planning a road trip that needs a mid trip charge at 40 amps. Would like to keep this charge time to a minimum to get to my destination.
I'm trying to decide whether to remove my 20" all season wheels (which have a more aggressive tread and I assume softer rubber) and install my 22" summers on the Model X.
Is it fair to assume that highway Wh/Mile could be the same for 20" vs 22" since the overall tire diameter is the same ? Summer tires less roll resistance than all-season tires ?
If this was discussed elsewhere please let me know.
20" wheels have much better efficiency than 22" wheels because of the unsprung mass. I would say that short of running knobby snow tires on the 20s, your efficiency is likely to be much worse with the 22" wheels.

Update: passing through 27,000 miles I am holding steady at 375 wh/mi. 22" 90D
Also 90% is 222 and 100% is 246.

Are you using the stock 22" rim from Tesla? Getting 375 wh/mi on 22" is very impressive. Many owners said their 22" consumes up to mid 400 wh/mi or more.

I ordered 22" rim and live in SoCal like you. But I am concern about the additional power consumption caused by the 22".

For 27k miles, how many times have you changed your tire due to wear and tear.

Thanks

Are you using the stock 22" rim from Tesla? Getting 375 wh/mi on 22" is very impressive. Many owners said their 22" consumes up to mid 400 wh/mi or more.

I ordered 22" rim and live in SoCal like you. But I am concern about the additional power consumption caused by the 22".

Thanks

How is that possible?!?! That is very impressive! At best I saw 375 Wh/mi on my 22" on a 75 degree day driving around northern Virginia. I'm averaging 450 overall. (Winter driving is brutal on range here in New England)

I just did a 245 mile trip. 98% highway miles and the remaining were country roads. I drafted a semi at 70mph about 80% of this trip using AP set at 3 and then kept it at 60mph on the country roads. Really focused on my driving to maximize range and here are my results. I started with 100% charge of 284 miles. My lifetime avg was 442 at start of trip. Knocked it down to 435 using this method.

Passed two superchargers on this trip to force myself to baby it. Used destination charger at hotel.

P100D 22" wheels - Sport mode - 88F - AC on - Ventilated seats off - Rear AC off - Range mode on - 1 passenger - no cargo - adaptive spoiler
IMG_3715.JPG.jpeg

Last edited:

Thanks
Yes, they are the stock 22" rims from Tesla. Not sure why the consumption has been so low compared to others. I don't think I baby the car too much. I also have an early 90D that came with the adaptive spoiler so maybe that has helped?
I am bringing my X into the service center next week for its second annual service (based on mileage, not time) so we will see about the tires although when I had it in last month for a parking brake issue they checked the tires and said they were still fine.

Reactions: Doctt
I wish I could get 200 anything avg...

I occasionally get in the 290s with highway driving on a windless, 70 degree day. But I have 20" tires and they seem to make a big difference. After 3,500 miles, my average is 341 wh/mi. But I was also showing off the acceleration to friends a couple dozen times at 900+ wh/mi. So my lifetime average should drop more now that I'm driving more normally.

Back from a road trip... my stats for the trip and lifetime with 22" wheels.

-Distance-EnergyAvg. Energy-
DescriptionkmmileskWhWh/kmWh/mi
Trip5,026.03,123.01,399.9279448
Lifetime10,792.46,706.13,134.0290467
What would you say was your avg highway speed ? (although lower speeds do not necessary offset higher speeds on total consumption)
I wonder what the Wh/km rate would be at 100 km / hr (approx 63 miles / hr) with 22" summers.

What would you say was your avg highway speed ? (although lower speeds do not necessary offset higher speeds on total consumption)
I wonder what the Wh/km rate would be at 100 km / hr (approx 63 miles / hr) with 22" summers.
Average Speed was around 73-80 mph. (a good portion was 80).

From Hope, BC to Home I did this leg:

-DistanceEnergyAvg. Energy
DescriptionkmkWhWh/km
Trip148.639.1263
That leg averaged 99 km/h, so close to what you are curious about.

I experimented with this yesterday.

65mph was around 390Wh/mile

60mph will give you the rated wh/mile (350).
That seems about right.

• Informative
Reactions: Zapped
I experimented with this yesterday.

65mph was around 390Wh/mile

60mph will give you the rated wh/mile (350).

Gosh those 22inch wheels really do eat up electrons!!

Not sure why because even my 20 has crazy wide 265 on front 275 rear, the 22 have 265 front and 285 rear....So is the extra consumption from 22 purely due to unsprung weight?

Warmer weather and 60-65 mph and I'm seeing below 300wh/mile on our 60D X on 20's :)

34260845210_f0cb58371a_z.jpg

So I just returned from a smallish (and my first) roadtrip and was pleasantly surprised by power consumption of my 100D.

Last segment was on 83mph autopilot
(average speed ended up being something like 74mph) and average consumption for it was 338Wh/mi.
trip3.png

Also on the way there saw this (the quality is kind of iffy, but oh well):
244wh_mi.jpg

All in total 701 miles, 334Wh/mi, not quite rated miles, but only about 4% penalty for driving over 80mph is tolerable.