Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. The cold will cause battery heating and less regen. Short distances when cold are big energy drains, as the energy used to warm the pack and the cabin isn't amortized over a long enough distance to average down.

And is that causing the battery any harm? Presumably I can also use pre heating and that’s fine as well?

And is that causing the battery any harm? Presumably I can also use pre heating and that’s fine as well?
Neither short trips nor preheating will cause any harm at all. The car is just using more energy per mile than you'd see if your trips were longer, because it's using all that energy at the beginning to warm things up, and as you are moving less miles that'll show up as large Wh/mile.

One of the great joys of EVs is preheating without guilt! No nasty idling, causing smells or noise or deadly vapors. Preheat all you want!

And unlike short trips in an ICE, which can actually harm the engine and cause extra emissions if too many RPMs are asked for before it and the catalytic converter are warmed up, electric motors don't care. Stomp on that accelerator right out of the gate! Enjoy the full power of the X anytime knowing you aren't hurting it in any way.

Model X 90D, 22" wheels, st. louis Missouri, average 450 Wh/mi past 15K miles. much worse in cold weather, even with range mode and conservative driving. also have a known \ "shudder" on low speed acceleration that is known problem, but dealership says there is no fix.

A weird ascertainment:

I note precisely the kwh as indicated on the display of the Tesla after each charging session at home. When I compare with the kwh as displayed by my home electricity meter I see a significant difference: almost 20% more on the meter! These measurements are spread and averaged over a period of 2 months.

No other devices or wall outlets are connected with this electricity meter: the outlet for the Tesla is the only device connected to it.

Does anyone have a similar experience? Or an explanation?...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SMSMD
Outside temp -24°C (-11.2 F)
20171230_153525.jpg

A weird ascertainment:

I note precisely the kwh as indicated on the display of the Tesla after each charging session at home. When I compare with the kwh as displayed by my home electricity meter I see a significant difference: almost 20% more on the meter! These measurements are spread and averaged over a period of 2 months.

No other devices or wall outlets are connected with this electricity meter: the outlet for the Tesla is the only device connected to it.

Thanks in advance!
I believe the car calculates based on battery to motor and misses all charging losses. I expect those to be a minimum of 10% and quite possibly higher

Does anyone know what the usable battery capacity is for the MX 90D? I recall it being lower than 90kWh, but I can't remember the number.

For "90" packs things are even worse. There are about 3500 cars with 90 packs showing < 500 miles with an average usable capacity of 83.2 kWh (or 87.2 kWh total with the 4kWh buffer). Just over 1000 "90" pack cars reporting between 500 and 1000 miles on the odo with an average usable capacity of 82.8 kWh.

Average usable capacity for all ~65k "90" packs in the data: 81.3 kWh with an average odometer of only 11k miles.... that's an average drop from new of almost the same capacity on the 90 pack in 11k miles vs the 85 packs in 37k miles. Pretty crappy.

From a thread in the S form but I think the battery packs are the same.

A weird ascertainment:

Thanks in advance!

There's efficiency losses over transmission and during charging. Basically, what you get at the meter is significantly less than what the power company is generating and sending to you. So once at your house, what you send to your car is less than what is at the meter. Then you still have the charger itself and depending on your method, will have different efficiency measures. Teslarati did an article on this
Charging a Tesla Model S Might Be Costing More Than You Think

There's also several folks tracking this over Teslafi.

• Informative
Reactions: guyG
Driving our X90D since June 2016, now with 26K miles and an average consumption of 348wh/mile

We have a good mix of highway and city driving. Cold is not really an issue here but we went through two AZ summers.

Average consumption seems pretty stable over the last year.

An update with my 20" Slipstream Wheel with these Tesla stock winter tires, compared with my prior 22s. Mild winter conditions in Vancouver with a lot of short trips (~ 23 km/day round trip commutes).
  • 2 x 265/45/20 - Pirelli Scorpion
  • 2 x 275/45/20 - Pirelli Scorpion
-Distance-EnergyAvg. Energy-
DescriptionkmmileskWhWh/kmWh/mi
Prior 22"s Trip3,495.92,172.3928.3266427
20's Trip2,098.21303.8681.9325523
Prior Lifetime14,580.99,060.14,154.0285458
Previous Lifetime24,613.715,294.26,872.2276443
Current Lifetime28,913.317,965.98,132.0281453

Last edited: