Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Delivery #failure #day1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wait. the first few problems they are super helpful. I remember right after taking delivery with my steering wheel buttons didn't work, the tech swapped out the steering wheel control button right then and there, with no appointment and super apologetic. but after a few visits with more problems, their tone and service changed quite a bit.

The latest service visit is baffling to me.

- Go there and show them that the power seat button isn't functioning. They agreed. Show them the b pillar plastic didn't fit right, they agreed.

- Told me to make an appointment--they can't do anything anytime soon. First one available is a week later.

- Wait a week and bring the car in for my appointment. Tech comes out and looks at the car, and in 2-minutes, says that he needs to order the power seat button and b pillar plastic. Says, he'll call me if/when the parts come in. I question what the appointment was for.

- Week later, neither parts show up...
That sounds like the BMW I had, except replace "week" with "month"

That sounds like the BMW I had, except replace "week" with "month"
Yep... got a letter for my (traded in two weeks ago) BMW. They have the parts for the air bag recall from *last* June (2016). I call and they say, don't actually have any, be in in a week. That was the start of September (this year). Can't wait for them to call me back and tell them to never mind. No one seems to do parts right (I give you Tesla is the worst).

Yep... got a letter for my (traded in two weeks ago) BMW. They have the parts for the air bag recall from *last* June (2016). I call and they say, don't actually have any, be in in a week. That was the start of September (this year). Can't wait for them to call me back and tell them to never mind. No one seems to do parts right (I give you Tesla is the worst).

To be fair, the airbag recall is not BMW specific.

I have found that BMW parts are pretty easy to buy both online and in dealers.

I wonder if this is more 'efficient' to have the SC's fix all these issues than have the factory do it... serious question. Get the cars to the SC's where they can deal with it? A lot of the issues can be handled there (but PO'd clients who see them and have to either delay delivery or come back again (and again...).

I would think Tesla would rather hide issues and get it done at the factory, but perhaps it's more difficult to do QA/repair there?

How is this done for other manufacturers? I know none of my BMWs (for a brand example) came with issues, but the cars were much simpler then (2000s...)

Seems like they need better PDI checklists at the SCs to me. Most of these issues could be picked up by a thorough pre-delivery check at the SC before attempting customer hand-over. For example a broken A/C system or dent in the door would be easily identified if anybody actually checked the car prior to hand-over. Much better for a customer to wait a few more days for delivery than be disappointed on the day.

When my car is ready for delivery, before I go to pick it up, I'm going to specifically ask them to check that all the major systems actually work and that there are no obvious scratches, scuffs or dents on it. Then I can get properly upset if I get there to find that something obvious is wrong with the car! I'm not expecting them to go over it with a microscope, but I do expect a proper PDI on a £100K car.