Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X doesn't detect home wi-fi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried searching this in the forum, but I must be doing something wrong because I can't seem to get results for anything that I try to search. I just picked-up my new Model X and am starting to learn the ins and outs of its operation. When I try to connect to my home wi-fi by touching the cell icon at the top of the screen, it searches, but doesn't find it. My computer says the signal in my garage is about as strong as it gets (all bars). I tried re-booting the system, but still get the same result. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Let’s try to set up a personal hotspot from your phone while you are inside and see if the car can see it. Tesla doesn’t recognize signal well. Most of the time we ended up putting an extra AP right next to the car.

If it still doesn’t work, probably something is wrong (loosen antenna, faulty wiring, ...)

Good suggestion! Yes, it sees the phone. So I guess I need a range extender for my wi-fi. Right?

Any route you want to use to extend the range (ie increase signal strength) should work. I wired my house for cat6A when it was built so I just put a cheap router in the garage (connected to the main router) and turned off DHCP (letting the main router do DHCP) and it works as an access point.

I only turn the garage AP on when I need to do an update to keep cyber thieves sniffing to a minimum.

Hi Steve,

Computer equipment Yikes!
I had the same problem with my X last year...
A condensed version of what I did...
Turn off wifi in the car on the main screen - Reboot the car(hold both scroll wheels and the brake pedal)
after the reboot - turn on wifi in the car - select your network, encryption, and enter the password.

If after many variations you are still unable to get wifi to work - Set up a service call...
Wifi troubleshooting is one thing that can be done in your home by the mobile technicians.

While not the best in the world, I have Comcast-Xfinity and I use their "mesh" system with the "pods."
It works well for me...

Good luck,

Shawn

The rest of the story (so far). Thank you to everyone for all the suggestions and advice. I decided to try a NetGear AC1200 range extender. I set it up using WPS, placed the extender in a wall socket 3 - 4 ft form my Model X and was able to easily log into my wi-fi. I'll see how it goes speed wise. If it seems to be too slow, I'll setup an access point. Thanks again!

Hi Steve,

Computer equipment Yikes!
I had the same problem with my X last year...
A condensed version of what I did...
Turn off wifi in the car on the main screen - Reboot the car(hold both scroll wheels and the brake pedal)
after the reboot - turn on wifi in the car - select your network, encryption, and enter the password.

If after many variations you are still unable to get wifi to work - Set up a service call...
Wifi troubleshooting is one thing that can be done in your home by the mobile technicians.

While not the best in the world, I have Comcast-Xfinity and I use their "mesh" system with the "pods."
It works well for me...

Good luck,

Shawn

Shawn, I like your rocket. A friend of mine and I used to build them from the ground up many years ago, though not quite on the scale of yours.

If you lose connectivity again, which has been happening for me off and on since the 32-series of firmware updates, just flip the WiFi to “off” for 15 seconds, then back to “on.” That usually reconnects me. It’s a weird bug that the X doesn’t connect to WiFi randomly. But glad the extender did the trick!