Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I showed the Model X website to a friend who drives a Toyota Tundra and he thought they looked really cool. I don't think he'd consider an EV at this point but even some traditional truck people like the looks of the falcon doors.

This makes me wonder about the falcon door mechanisms...besides slowly opening and closing electrically, I wonder if one could manually raise or lower them (effectively speeding up either the open or close action) while having the electric action immediately take over where the manual interference stopped, finishing the action in process. This would effectively give us the best of both options...being able to quickly manually influence the opening/closing of the door, while being able to rely on the electronic actuation to finish the motion off.

Edit: though the biggest problem with this that comes to mind is how the electronics would differentiate between a manual intervention of the door motion designed to speed up an action, vs a purposeful or unintended obstruction of the door opening/closing, which should result in door stoppage

Last edited:
This makes me wonder about the falcon door mechanisms...besides slowly opening and closing electrically, I wonder if one could manually raise or lower them (effectively speeding up either the open or close action) while having the electric action immediately take over where the manual interference stopped, finishing the action in process. This would effectively give us the best of both options...being able to quickly manually influence the opening/closing of the door, while being able to rely on the electronic actuation to finish the motion off.

Edit: though the biggest problem with this that comes to mind is how the electronics would differentiate between a manual intervention of the door motion designed to speed up an action, vs a purposeful or unintended obstruction of the door opening/closing, which should result in door stoppage

My Q5 has an electric rear hatch... it absolutely does NOT like you pushing or pulling on it, regardless of current state.

Ehh.. you can design pretty much anything. For example they could put a clutch on the drive motor and use an encoder to determine the current position. I'm sure they'll work out the trade-offs of cost versus complexity versus reliability.

Is it me, or did Tesla update the Model X page with a new, seemingly less-photoshopped pic?

bg_04_garage_prod-06-kc.jpg

By the way, I am hoping and believing that the Falcon Doors will be a lot faster opening and closing once they get all the kinks worked out. I know earlier in the day with the journalists they could not even get the doors to close all the way on their own. So wouldn't you think once they have got them perfected they could also make them quicker?

Definitely looks like a different color - good catch!

And it looks closer to the ground (no more floating), and the shadow seems to also have a reflection on the floor. Still looks a tad 'shopped though

By the way, I am hoping and believing that the Falcon Doors will be a lot faster opening and closing once they get all the kinks worked out. I know earlier in the day with the journalists they could not even get the doors to close all the way on their own. So wouldn't you think once they have got them perfected they could also make them quicker?

Yup. They close about as quick as the hatch on my Q5

It appears that the Model X | Tesla Motors page was built using images (photoshopped in part) of the brown roller that we saw offstage at the event.

After our jokes about the floating X in Elon's garage (yes, let's take credit for this!), they've replaced it with a pic of the real prototype (more greenish gray in color) photoshopped (with landscaping and all) into the garage.

You can see the differences between the brown roller and the gray prototype - the wheels in particular for sure.

I hope they'd update all the images on the website with the real proto's pics. The brown roller wasn't as pretty and the pics on the website don't do justice to the X as unveiled...